• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Top 5 Pedal Purchases of 2021

nic

1. HX stomp
2. Specular Tempus
3. Timmy v3
4. Gamechanger Plus
5. Nux Ace of Tone

Honorable mention since it isn’t currently on the board, Ryra Klone. Fantastic, much better going to an amp than to a modeler. Have changed settings so might try towork it back on the board.

still more pedals on the horizon.

Gila_Crisis

Let me remind you... 2021 is not over yet ;)
This said I'll wait the 31st December for a complete Top5, but so far my 2021 Top 4 is (in no particular order):
- Looperlative LP2 Mini Looper
- BSRI Audio TFZ
- Pladask Elektrisk Baklengs
- Altero Kaede Overdrive

Honorable mention (since it's more a utility pedal, than a proper stompbox):
- Morning Star MC3 Midi Controller.

Jazz Padd

Nordland Electronics ODR-C, Black Edition.

Boss BF-2 Flanger, ’83 Black Label.

Bearfoot FX Putting Green Compressor (Pale Green) Glow In The Dark.

Electro-Harmonix LPB 2ube Tube Preamp, 2010 real tube version.

Bartolini Tube It, LED version.

Honorable mention:

Boss PQ-4 Parametric EQ, Soul Power Instruments mod.

Mad Professor Big Tweedy Drive with Super Tweed mod, Custom, Limited Edition.

Straker

- Neunaber Immerse mk2
(best reverb I found after trying Space, Big Sky, RV500, Ventris). It just sounds deep and great with any material and it's small and handy in send/return.

- Boss dd200
(Best delay I found after trying Timeline, Time factor, dd500, Nemesis). It sounds great, very flexible, small and easy to dial.

- EHX Super Ego.
It's perfect to turn guitar signal into line level and the freeze is the best I found.

- EHX Nano big muff.
The perfect classic rough distortion.

- Strymon Brigadier.
Lovely dirty delay but it lacks midi control which is a shame.

R.C.Moran

Gold Supporting Member
- Neunaber Immerse mk2
(best reverb I found after trying Space, Big Sky, RV500, Ventris). It just sounds deep and great with any material and it's small and handy in send/return.

- Boss dd200
(Best delay I found after trying Timeline, Time factor, dd500, Nemesis). It sounds great, very flexible, small and easy to dial.

- EHX Super Ego.
It's perfect to turn guitar signal into line level and the freeze is the best I found.

- EHX Nano big muff.
The perfect classic rough distortion.

- Strymon Brigadier.
Lovely dirty delay but it lacks midi control which is a shame.
You can get the same sounds of the Brig with the Timeline and get the midi control. That said I love the simplicity of the Brig.

Straker

You can get the same sounds of the Brig with the Timeline and get the midi control. That said I love the simplicity of the Brig.
I tried Timeline, I didn't like it so much.
Brigadier just sounds better, I don't know why but maybe it's a matter of dedicated dsp.
I don't understand why Strymon doesn't put midi in/out on their digital pedals. Damn, it's all digital, what's the problem with midi?
It doesn't make any sense for me to have a digital delay without the chance to recieve a midi clock.

adolan

This year was a quiet one on the pedal/gear front but I did get...

Drolo Stretchweaver- tried and tired of trying to get one via the sales I did end up getting one, great weirdo pedal esp for synths and drum machines.

Pete Cornish GC-1. Such a great pedal, have tried all of the Cornish dirt stuff now and this pedal is killer, gnarly and raunchy at times and def an instant classic of his, Pete just makes amazing stuff.

Glou GLou Loupe- On the waiting list and psyched to get this pedal.

the year isn't over yet so lets see, was thinking about a FTT Future Factory as well for something different in delayyyyyyyy.

Twrogstudio

Audio Kitchen Fake Plastic Trees (Unlike anything I’ve ever used. Phenomenal!)
Mesh Audio Juice Jawn (Bat **** crazy looking awesome Mutron III)
Snouse Blackbox Pro Mod (BB perfection)
Jam Pedals Harmonious Monk (Great harmonic trem, although I still prefer the Demeter for non harmonic)
BG Harding Baby Zonk (That man knows how to voice a fuzz. Beats out every other Zonk I’ve tried)

Multicellular

I shifted back to bass after a long unwelcome hiatus. The new group is also stylistically different, so there were a lot of changes, a quick evolution. The 'best of' when the dust settled include:

Empress Zoia
If you are not familiar with this one, it is essentially a virtual modular synth/effects rack. It is a 'do whatever you want' pedal. For bass, this is a hidden treasure. One of the things you often want to do on bass is add some effect, but not muddy the mix up/lose fundamental clarity. So with this, any effect can be multi-band, pass the lows through clean and put delay, granular, verb, noise, modulation, etc. etc. on top. Many dedicated bass pedals of course have a 'clean' blend, but this has exponentially more flexibility. For example, you could also trigger effects just off your attack or your envelope and leave your decay clean.

L68696000000000-00-500x500.jpg

Source Audio Ultrawave
Again with the multiband approach because of bass, the Ultrawave arguably could have much of what it does covered by the Zoia, but I'm using Zoia more for the modulation and time-based aspects so it is farther along in the chain. And this has more types of overdrive and distortion, and dirt is a rather fundamental thing for me for this board.

WMD Protostar
A good sounding filter is one of my bass must-haves. This just sounds epic. Other filters can do what this does, envelope filter, LFO filter, Wah, but this one sounds so rich.

BUT THERE'S MORE! In my specific usage, I can control aspects of this with the Zoia via control voltage. So you can set up sequencers, complex interlocking LFOs, random LFOs, in the Zoia to control the speed, cutoff, Q. So this for example becomes tap tempo'd via the Zoia via MIDI > CV.

70dad5c51eb3b06f8a59356e53627cc2.jpg

DSM & Humboldt Simplifier Bass Station
The top three for me were super obvious choices. This one is not as exciting, but for me was instant infatuation. I have never loved the sound of a bass amp/cab sim before this one. Not surprisingly really because they have usually been modelled on amps/cabs I also did not like. This is unique (afaik) in modelling an aluminum speaker cab.
1636988156578.jpeg

Boss SY-200
This one I had some hesitance in including in my top 5 because I don't have it yet! But I did purchase it. Thing is, I am thoroughly familiar with the SY-300 and SY-1 and this form factor was exactly what I've been wanting for years. (All my many many alias emails to Boss must have worked*).

The sy-300 is epic. Polyphony, no special pickup. In comparison to my analog hardware synths, some of the sounds are not 100% what I want, however, I found that the Oscillators were actually fine, it was the filters that I didn't love. I've used the 300 on a good number of recordings and just us a different filter for the sharper oscs. This isn't a big dig, I am picky about filters. I'm also a Eurorack guy and have very specific likes, dislikes in all that.

But if you've never used one of the Boss SYs, the real deal is how, because they are not converting to MIDI, but using a FFT process, you get amazing nuance of your playing translating through the oscillators. Picking dynamics, position relative to bridge, neck, bends, scrapes, etc. It is a better way to play a synth.

Still, I'm playing electric bass, the 300 is the size of a desktop synth, if I was doing bass synth sounds half the time, that pedalboard real estate might made sense. And the SY-1, that has too much power to not be MIDI controlled for me. The 200 is the sweet spot. Can't want. In fact, my sy-300 is comically hanging off the pedalboard right now waiting for the 200 to arrive.

*Kidding, Only emailed them 3 times.

ripgtr

I haven't bought 5 pedals total in the last 5 years, but I did get a couple this year.

Surfy Bear - yea, great sounding verb. I using it with some non reverb amps, and have used it to add verb to an already recorded part (I try to record more on the dry side) that I didn't want to use ITB digital on. Worked like a champ.

Cuda - I have had a Harlot for a while, and though I like it, I don't use it much. I use the Jester and Page all the time. The cuda compliments them well, it is similar but more open/scooped where the Kingsley stuff is generally more midrange (he is a fusiony type player, so ...) I love the Jester on single coils and the Cuda on my 335.

I have no pedals on the horizon, I may never buy a pedal again.

ryanmcdermottguitar

Psychedelic Speed Freak
Silver Supporting Member
It's been a good year for pedals, especially fuzzzzzzzz!

In no particular order:

Collector Effectors Coypu (MK1 Tone Bender +RAT dual pedal)
Boss HM-2W
Don Poniz BC183L Fuzz Face
Ibanez AD9 (Vintage 1982)
AM NKT-275 White Dot SunFace (I sold this because it was just worth too much for me not to, but it was a real treasure to own and play for a few weeks.)

Trending Topics

Top Bottom