Top 50 WORST AMPS!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Prosvetlen, Jun 11, 2011.

1. bard2dbone

bard2dbone Member

This could be valid with that red knobbed Twin. I twiddled and fiddled with those knobs and never could get a good sound. But I'm not a guitar amp guy. If there's a magic setting that 'everybody knows' for one of those things, I'm not part of everybody. I assumed it was broken somehow. But the lead player said "No. That's just how they sound."

gldtp99 likes this.
  2. gldtp99

gldtp99 Member

Those red knobbed Twins weren't known for overall great tone.

I've had many Sound City 120 heads and I've watched players try and dial in a tone that they liked with them---- these amps had a strange active EQ that was both very sensitive and had a wide range of adjustment----- when one knob was tweaked it would interact with the other EQ ranges (Bass, Mid, Treble) and adjusting tone could be very aggravating for some players.
    I've converted many of these SC 120's to Hiwatt (and other) type preamps over the years------ the first Hiwatt type preamp conversion I did sounded good almost anywhere the EQ pots were set. It made it very easy to dial in a great tone.

So I ended up doing several of these conversions:

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

paulg, Laurence and bullet6759 like this.
  3. Zooey

Zooey Member

Being as charitable as I can be, I would say JCM800s are very picky about the speakers and cabinets they are paired with. When I see a JCM800 combo, I have to brace myself.

4. Bajaskier

Bajaskier Member

Peavey Stereo Chorus 400: Painfully loud; painfully crappy sounding.

chillybilly and fretless like this.
  5. scotty31

scotty31 Member

Fender Blues Jnr III
    i am surprised how many people buy these and like them
    A good clean, but the reverb is ridiculously over the top and barely usable and the drive is a flabby mess.

another in the long line of fender amps i have been disappointed in

PaisleyWookie likes this.
  6. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Member

Fender 75 head. Worst amp I have ever owned period SS or Tube.

7. bigfoamfinger

bigfoamfinger Supporting Member

"Terrible" for playing live, but they get the job done if you are a beginner or not gigging out and don't need an expensive or high-powered amp:

Line 6 Spyder
    Marshall MG
    Fender Frontman
    Fender VibroChamp XD (awful effects built in)
    any Crate

8. Mr Fingers

Mr Fingers Member

-- Fender 75. That amp's sound hurts. The classic box of hammers.
    -- Silvertone everything. Give me a break.
    -- Fender Blues Junior. Truly neither here nor there. Love the original Pro Juniors... hate the BJs.
    -- Crates and beginner Peaveys. On the plus side, these were affordable for those of us who would otherwise not have an amp at all, but my Peavey Pacer was not a beautiful thing. It existed, that's all.
    I guess I'm the only person who loves Nomad 45s. Swap tubes -- all the way down to AU7s -- to tame the gain stages (a good idea on all Mesa amps, which are without exception way, way, way too hot, IMO) and it's a different amp. As for the Gibson Lab Series, somehow BB King used one lifelong. Go figure.

9. bgh

bgh Supporting Member

You are not the only one that loves the 45. There seems to be a love/hate relationship with them on TGP. Either you got a good one and love it, or you got a dud and hate it. People mention issues with them: bad pots, can-of-bees drive channels, ... I must have been fortunate. Mine don't have those issues. Great little amp . Very versatile. I use it quite a bit. I especially like the orange channel. Very thick. Very nice sustain.

Mr Fingers likes this.
  10. SuperReverb2

SuperReverb2 Member

I'll throw the Peavey Penta and the Peavey Windsor into the mix.

:)

pomfret likes this.
  11. dazco

dazco Member

Never owned one but played one during thier VERY short run probably early 80s.....roland bolt 60. Worse sounding tube amp i ever recall playing. SS amps....no doubt one of my first amps....peavey pacer. Good lord, even back then when i was tone deaf that thing sounded hideous.

12. MkIII Renegade

MkIII Renegade Member

They are obviously low IQ operators who are better off with modeling amp presets. Such posts make this thread lose all credibility. :facepalm

13. MkIII Renegade

MkIII Renegade Member

Gorilla is heavyweight champion of **** practice amps in my experience, although most small Peavey solid state practice amps made before the Transtube (mid '90s) aren't far ahead. :jo

Red_Label and fretless like this.
  14. Scary Uncle G.

Scary Uncle G. Member

My vote is for my first guitar amp. It was a 70 watt solid-state Univox 2-12 combo amp sold by Lafayette Radio under their brand name. It was a truly craptastic amp, but, with little to compare it to, I didn't even know better in 1969.

It was so bad that I believed the Lab Series L-5 I replaced it with actually sounded good. Likewise the Fender 75 Combo amp that replaced that.

15. bullet6759

bullet6759 Silver Supporting Member

Silvertones better than half of the amps everyone likes and are in every decent studio. Which one did you play ?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
    fretless likes this.
  16. Red_Label

Red_Label Supporting Member

I'd go with that. I had one as my first practice amp back in the mid-80s and it was horrible. I replaced it with a Marshall Lead 12 and never looked back.

These threads kill me though. I mean, most people could get on board with the notion of the horrid tone that comes out of a Gorilla. But a few of the mentions are just people grinding their personal axe or bias. A JCM 800 is one of the worst amps? REALLY? Is that why it's one of the most recorded amps in history? Just because you have to boost it with a TS9 or DS1? I kinda miss my 2203. It was a great amp with a TS9 or OCD (set gain low, volume high) in front of it.

17. off2kamp

off2kamp Member

Lots of duds out there. My latest "worst" amp was a Vintage Sound 5. It sounded like it had a blanket over it. The bass knob was useless. There was no usable tone at all in the bass sweep. As soon as it went past 1 it was a muffled mess. Even with the bass on zero and treble cranked it sounded like it was underwater. The volume knob sweep was awful as well. It had two volumes ... off and 10. Nothing in between. Total mess of an amp. Whatever someone else probably loves this amp! One mans trash and all that stuff ... I've had Princeton clones before and loved them. Not this one.

18. MkIII Renegade

MkIII Renegade Member

One guy even said the Mesa MKIV is one of the worst. :rolleyes: Totally absurd post.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
    hurtwoodec and dwoverdrive like this.
  19. dwoverdrive

dwoverdrive Supporting Member

Yes saying the JCM800 is one of the top 50 worst amps ever is pretty ridiculous. Failing Marshall Amplification trying to stay off my worst amps ever list! SAD!

theRagman likes this.
  20. Red_Label

Red_Label Supporting Member

Yup. That's what irritates me. Some people can't understand the difference between something they don't like, and something that is garbage. I HATED my Peavey Classic 50. But others like them. I hated a lot of amps that it would never occur to me to list as one of the worst. Hated the Mesa Dual Rec that was in my LGS. Not a fan of Mesa metal amps at all. But they must be great at doing what they do. Just like the JCM 800s are.

hurtwoodec likes this.