Top Boost Pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jcshirke, Feb 28, 2012.

1. jcshirke

jcshirke Silver Supporting Member

Are there any other AC30 Top Boost clone pedals aside from Menatone's TBIAC? Just curious to know what other options are out there.

Thanks in advance.

2. jazzfromhell

jazzfromhell Member

Carl Martin is coming out with a small box AC Tone soon. And there's always the BJF EGDM. Catalinbread has the CB30 and Boss does the BC2 Combo Drive, Lovepedal has the Englishman. Tech 21 Liverpool....I'm sure there are others.

3. jcshirke

The BJF is great with an AC30, although I didn't realize it was a Top Boost clone. Interesting, if that's true. I have one already on a different pedal board. Are those pedal still being made? I can't keep up with all the different versions of BJF vs. Mad Professor pedals.

Thanks for the other recommendations.

4. jazzfromhell

jazzfromhell Member

Youre welcome!
    I'm not sure if the EGDM is a real true TB clone, I haven't even tried it myself, I just know people talk about as a great Vox-y OD/distortion.

5. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

Vox emulations? Quite a few (lots of older threads). Top boost channel emulations? I am not so sure. My old Vox Cooltron Over The Top Boost was doing that very well, and also provided a very thick and tube-y overdrive, plus probably the fattest and warmest boost I've ever heard. One of the most underrated and unknown pedals out there. Selling it was a mistake, and I would really like to get one once again.

6. jcshirke

Not Vox emulations. I have more AC30s than I care to mention (although I guess I just did...lol) . I was just looking for some options to get the Top Boost sound out of one of my non-TB AC30s.

I happened to just watch the Pro Guitar Shops demo of the Vox OTTB pedal...looked pretty cool, although I'd like to see how it sounded with an AC30. No idea why he used a '65 amps Soho. I guess he had to choose something, though, right?

7. Godspeed64

Godspeed64 Member

Check out the VOX Over The Top Boost. Fantastic pedal!

8. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

In my opinion it's an old recording that doesn't give a good representation of the sound of the pedal at all. It's heavily coloured and rather poorly recorded. As for the Soho, it was their amp of choice at that time before switching to the Deluxe Reverb. I have no doubt the Soho is a fantastic amp, but a subpar recording can easily mislead or even fail to give a good impression.

9. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

You might look into the Fryette SAS. It's an EF86 pedal, running at over 200v on the plates (and I've got the burns to prove it ;). It has the sound of the older 4 input AC30s or the click channel on a Matchless, so all the brightness you could ask for and any level of boost from nearly clean to full on distortion! And they're cheap, $119 at GC right now.

10. batsbrew

batsbrew Member

Fulltone Fatboost III

11. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Member

Solidgold FX Nitro has a KILLER Top Boost function (I noticed they only JUST started calling it that). The left toggle up (Clean boost) and the right toggle down (Top Boost) is it. -E

12. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

??!?

13. jcshirke

Interesting...The EF86 sound is definitely different than the Top Boost, but it might be fun to mess around with anyway. I actually own an AC30/4, which is a kick ass amp. Thanks for that suggestion.

14. jcshirke

Cool...will check it out. Thank you.

15. Wagster

Wagster Member

I just thinking about this the other night. I'm looking for an EQ pedal that can give me a Vox like tone through my amp. I hear that Rockett Pedals has a Mark Sampson designed pedal coming out soon. It's TB channel of the DC30 minus the gain. It can give most amps an AC30 style tone. It sounds very interesting.

16. batsbrew

batsbrew Member

works for me.

with the treble and bass controls, and the drive, i can totally dial in a top boost sound thru my mesa boogie.

it's wonderful being able to experiment with all this stuff, and actually know what it can do.......

17. batsbrew

batsbrew Member

18. Resonance7

Resonance7 Member

Is the Castledine "Magical Mystery Box" close enough?

19. batsbrew

batsbrew Member