Top Class A 2 Channel Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by xmugshotx, Jul 16, 2006.

1. xmugshotx

xmugshotx Member

i tried useing the search function to locate some info on this but couldnt come up with any thing...soooo let me know what your favourite 2 channel class a amps are. maybe it will open up a whole new direction for my next purchase!

thx guys!

2. xmugshotx

xmugshotx Member

nothin? i thought you guys could come up with atleast a couple amps! come one help a brother out! hahaha

3. scottcw

scottcw Low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

Do some research on what you mean by "Class A". If you mean true Class A, there is no such amp that I am aware of. If you mean cathode biased, someone might be able to help you.

4. glman

glman Member

some of the alessandro amps are true class A

5. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

Hi there, which one is a 2 channel class A amp that the poster was inquiring about? Thanks,

Eric

6. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

I'd suspect Scott is right as I've never heard of a 2channel Class A amp.. Other than amps like a bogner Ecstacy,etc that have a "Class A" option. I think some Mesas do too.. They're advertised by using the "TERM" Class A but they're not.. But I don't care about any of that anyway. It's the sound that I care about!!! Good luck

ERIC

7. xmugshotx

xmugshotx Member

i dont know much about this stuff thats why i was inquiring. but what i meant was amps like the orange AD30 or like the Mesa Lonestar Special, i was jsut trying to get some more info. i did my research but couldnt come up with anything, like i said in my first post! sorry.

8. scottcw

None of the amps you or ericb mention are Class A. It's a marketing term the way they use it, nothing more. Eric is right - forget the marketing terms and listen with your ears. An amp is good if you like it, it's not if you don't.

9. xmugshotx

xmugshotx Member

i dont mean to be a pest. just so i know. but why arent these amps actually class a? what class are they? how come no-one has said anything to these companies that are false advertising. sorry again.

10. hogy

hogy Member

Look, this has been discussed ad nauseam over and over again.

The SEARCH FUNCTION is your friend. You will find links to relevant articles on other sites in past threads on this subject.

Hogy

11. xmugshotx

xmugshotx Member

LIKE I SAID IM SORRY!.i stated in my first post that i couldnt come up with anything using the search function!!! i guess im retarded!

12. hogy

hogy Member

13. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

True Class A? Pretty sure most, if not all, single ended Class A amps fall into that category...I know mine do.

14. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

xmugshotx - you don't have to apologize for being new and unfamiliar with this 'Class A' issue. Everybody is new to it at some point; just understand that there are guys here who have been over and over and over it again and again and are just tired of seeing yet again.

Here's the deal, in a nutshell. There are not that many true Class A amps out there. If you want a real definition of what a Class A circuit is, go to www.AikenAmps.com -- great info about Class A and other terms there. Check this out.

http://www.aikenamps.com/VoxAC30classA_2.html

Now, as you're learning. Most amps that are marketed as 'Class A' are not truly Class A amplifers. Most of them are cathode-biased and are Class A/B.

Some actual Class A amps include:
    - Alessandro English
    - Aiken Tomcat
    - THD Univalve

I think old Fender Champs were Class A too (someone will correct me).

I don't really know of any two channel, true Class A amps, though there may be some. Chances are, what you're really interested in are two-channel, cathode-biased amps, EL84-based amps such as Matchless C30s, Vox AC30 CCs, Bad Cat Black Cats, Orange AD30s, some Top Hats, some Dr Zs, etc. Those are probably what you want to be reading up on.

15. anyone

anyone Member

Hey Mugshot,
    I checked your myspace. Cool stuff man.
    I'm assuming you want the names of some killer chime&grind type amps (rather than a lecture on marketing abuse of techtalk).

Based on the sounds I've heard from you, here are some to check out:

Heritage Briton II (own it and love it)
    Blankenship Leeds21 (played it and loved it)
    Cornford Hellcat (heard clips & saw vids, capable of higher gain stuff too...)
    Kingsley D32(?) (heard clips & vid, sounds killer)
    Voxer (heard live&clips, killer!)
    TopHat Supreme16 (clips, killer!)

Do a search on some of these and you should be able to find some clips and info.

ck

16. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

Bad Cat Hot Cat

17. xmugshotx

xmugshotx Member

thank you so much "leonc" for the wicked information and getting me on the right page! muchly appreciated!...and a super dooper big thanx to "anyone" you knew exactly what i was looking for. eventhough it wasnt what i thought it was! and thanx for the complements on my band!. your super rad! now....i have somethinking to do!

18. scottcw

Might want to double check the Aiken. There are quotes around "Class A" on Randall's description, leading me to believe he is using the term to describe what people think of as Class A, not true Class A. I may be wrong and, if so, I apologize.

19. mcdyas

mcdyas Member

gibson super goldtone ga30rv claims to be class a and i like it so much i have 3, maybe i like it too much.

20. scottcw

But it's not.

To the original poster - you are much better off to drop the Class A search. There are too many companies that use this term as a buzzword to describe amps that are NOT Class A. An amp can't be sort of Class A. It either is or it isn't... most are not. It's a defined class of operation that is limited in scope. The Aiken site explains it very well.

"There is much debate raging in the marketplace about "class A" amplifiers, and whether or not they are truly class A, or just class AB amplifiers unscrupulously marketed to the unsuspecting public as "class A". The truth is that most, if not all, are in reality cathode-biased, non-negative feedback class AB amplifiers, contrary to what the manufacturer's literature may say."

"The bottom line is this: don't worry about whether an amp is "class A" or not. If you are interested in details, find out if it is cathode-biased or fixed-biased, and whether is uses global negative feedback or not, whether it uses a pentode, triode, or ultralinear output stage, and what type of output tubes are used. These parameters will give an idea of the "feel" of the amp, but in the end, you still must play the amp and use your ears to tell you which one is best suited for your playing style. Don't make a decision based on technical specs alone, you may miss out on a great-sounding amplifier!"

A loud minority of people will tell you that clips are just as good as playing an amp, but experienced, "good" players and recording engineers will give that view a big :rolleyes: :crazy :NUTS