Top Hat Ambassador or Lonestar Classic?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Gear Addict, Apr 19, 2008.

1. Gear Addict

Gear Addict Member

I know not everyone digs the Lonestar Classic, but I've had mine for about 6 months and love the clean channel. I actually sold my SF Deluxe Reverb for it, because I thought the clean tones w/reverb were as good if not better than the Fender.

On the downside, I never use channel 2, I just can't get a great tone out of it. I much prefer to use my THD Plexi for any dirty tones.

So all this said, I'm being offered a trade of a Top Hat Ambassador 50 with matching 2x12 cab for the LSC + $600. I only got to play the Ambassador for 5 mins and it sounded pretty damn good, but it was hard for me to compare to the LSC without my guitar, more time and the LSC in the same room.

I'm just looking for some opinions before I lug my 100lb amp 3 hours away from here.

2. Bigtone

Bigtone Member

The ambassador, will probably edge out the Lonestar for cleans, so in your case I would do it, I agree the lonestar cleans are quite good, but not quite like the ambassador, IMHO your moving up a notch, Bigtone

3. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

Jackson Heights Birthplace of Johnny Thunders
    Yowser Ambassador 50 is a clean machine VERY Clean

Whats inside the TopHat Cab ?? The Ambassador has a little growl in there too. It goes Classic Marshall if you want. I got a chance to play a Hot Strat through one and it had a lot of head room even when wide open. Very reactive to tone adjusment.

I have Two TH's and would love to get another. Built so well, Hildago from Los Lobos uses an Ambassador sometimes

Then 6 benjimans is cool too

4. Gear Addict

Gear Addict Member

The Top Hat cab is loaded with 2 G12H30's wired at 4 ohms I believe. I don't know if that was what was in it new or if they were added later.

I currently run my THD Plexi through a '74 Marshall 1960b with G12M's and love it.

I play blues and rock primarily and I love a good round clean tone with good picking dynamics and a stellar reverb is a must. If I need crunch out of my clean amp I hit it with an OCD, FD II or Fuzz Head. But I am primarily looking for a clean amp in the 50 watt range that I can a/b with the Plexi.

Sounds like the Ambassador may be a step in the right direction?

5. mcalldp

mcalldp Member

Yes, the Amb 50 is taking you in a great direction based on your description. Think BIG ROUND FULL clean tone. It's comparable to a Fender Twin Reverb with a tighter bottom end and more even, piano like, response across the spectrum and the reverb is top-notch. You can't go wrong with this amp as long as you know, going into it, that it's not a high-gain machine and even getting some grind out of it takes serious volume. Thick clean to add pedals on? Can't be beat.

After almost losing mine to pay bills I think it's finally safe again. I pair it with an Erice Johnson Strat or a 52 Reissue Tele both with Dimarzio Area pickups. I've played a ton of pedals through it and it liked them all. I've had to sell most of my pedals but just got a TC Electronic Nova System that I run before the TopHat and it sounds great as well.

I've run it with Emenince Red White & Blue speakers as y mains for a while and it gives a more Fenderish sound. I also have a cab loaded with a G12H and Vintage 30, much more of a British flavor there.

Anyway, get one.