Top Hat build quality is second to NONE.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by dehughes, Jul 1, 2006.

1. dehughes

dehughes Member

So, what amp built today is built better than this one?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

NONE. That's right. None. This is a Top Hat Emplexador 50 from 2005, wired by a master builder. Give it up for Brian at Top Hat, and the guys who build for him. Admit that the build quality of this amp KILLS and DESTROYS all lesser, inferior, flavor-of-the-month weenie amps. It's okay. The truth is what it is....

Just my opinion, of course. Not trying to pick a fight or anything. ;) Top Hat deserves more props than they get, IMHO, as not everyone looks underneath the hood of "that amp".

2. guitarlix

guitarlix Member

Well, more importantly, they make great sounding amps.

3. dehughes

dehughes Member

AGREED. My thought is just that there is not enough awareness about how well they are actually built.

4. jeak

jeak Member

Nice guts there. I wouldn't say mine are any better, but I like them too!

[​IMG]

Custom Shop Fargen Soloway

5. Jray

Jray Supporting Member

I couldn't agree more dehughes! I own a Supreme Sixteen and a Superdeluxe. Top Hat sounds, and feels good. A true winner that does not break the bank.

6. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

Wow. The only wiring I've seen on that par is Hiwatt and Divided By 13.

7. wordsonyou

wordsonyou Member

I have always believed that TopHat not only make 2 of my favorite 10 amps of all time (The King Royale and Embassy) but have the neatest true ptp wiring of any amp period- I'm not sure it affects the tone but damn it sure is anal!

8. JacksonAmpworks

JacksonAmpworks Member

9. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

And this one with 2x12 cab and covers is FOR SALE at a VERY reasonable price!!!!

http://www.tophatamps.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3287&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

10. dehughes

dehughes Member

I have owned 8 or 9 Top Hats over the past 8 years, and each one, as time goes on, has become progressively better and better built. I still have my first one (it is never leaving me!), a little Club Royale, and while it is not built as well as the new ones (it is from 1998...) it STILL has incredible mojo, and is one of the best amplifiers I've ever heard.

As for Hiwatt, AGREED. They are incredible, and truly an inspiriation. I love they way those amps are laid out and constructed. Beautiful...art....

As for %13, they are built well, it seems, but the one I saw wasn't nearly as pretty as a new Top Hat or as a Hiwatt, and it didn't have the messy-organization of a Matchless. Sorry, but can't agree with you there. GRANTED, I've not seen many %13 chassis, so perhaps they are better than the one I saw, but I cannot speak for what I have not seen. :)

As for Matchless, they are amazing in that something so apparently disorganized (the chassis wiring LOOKS like a jumbled mess of parts and wire...) is actually one of the most complex and well designed pieces of functional art in modern times. Matchless is the anti-Top Hat in terms of wiring, as Matchless goes for a more chaotic-but-organized method, while Top Hat is truly uncluttered and clear. Neat sides to the same coin, I say.

11. pcutt

pcutt Member

I don't know what the Matchless wiring looks like, but are they using the approach of having more direct signal paths rather than 90-degree bends? Do you have any photos of Matchless for comparison?

Thanks,
    Paul

12. lv

lv Supporting Member

Are you a tech, or do you have the experience to know what you are looking at?

I agree its very pretty to look at, but on at least one occasion, a tech on this board said the lack of play (how tight the wires are between parts) was unneccessary and could actually cause problems.

13. pcutt

pcutt Member

No, but I have a master's degree in engineering and used to design computers for a living. I'm a firm believer that aesthetic layouts may not yield the best electrical performance or real-world usability. Engineering design and product development is a compromise between a host of competing requirements, and aesthetics is but one of them.

14. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

15. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Indeed - perhaps this should be moved to the Emporium...

16. mlongano

mlongano Member

Here are some pictures of the Komet 60:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. lv

lv Supporting Member

+1. Gotta love these hype threads coming from someone who just happens to have one for sale.

18. riffmeister

Dehughes is turning into an amp builder (ask him about it!). He has just completed a great looking AC4/30 type amp, and needs to raise cash to continue his building habit.......will it be a Blonde Bassman or JTM45 circuit?? No fish whatsoever......I've known David through cyberspace for six years now, and he is one of the most honest, forthright, well-meaning individuals I have ever met. Whoever gets this Emplexador will be getting a great deal from a great guy.......period.

19. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Silver Supporting Member

What Riff said. i have known David via the TopHat Forum for some time now. Have spoken with him on the phone a number of times. David is a solid cat - "good people". Nothing fishy at all - end of story.

As Riff said, David is now into building his own amps. I am not sure if that answers Lou V's question about whether or not David knows what he is looking at, but he certainly knows more than me.

After all, I am just one of those guys that only buys TopHats - I don't know enough about electronics and amp design to build my own. However, they sure are pretty on the inside, as well as sounding great....:)

20. riffmeister

Take a look at David's work-in-progress:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=17252682

I think he knows what he's doing. ;)