Top Hat Club Royale - 1x12 or 2x12?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by KazJY, Jan 16, 2008.

1. KazJY

KazJY Member

I played and fell in love with a CR 2x12 ages ago, with the G12-H and V30 speaker set up, and didn't have the dough. Now, I am close to finishing off my credit card debt, and want to treat myself to an amp (paying cash, of course) after I am done. Can anyone say anything about the pros and cons of one (speaker config.) model over another? I figure the 2x12 is FOR SURE what I like, and it would be louder, I imagine, but the 1x12 is nice and compact, and a few hundred bucks cheaper too (though I try not to let that get to me). I won't be able to try both side by side, judging by dealer stock right now.

THEN, checking out the Top Hat website, I also see the Super Club Deluxe, at 33W, and the ability to change tubes, so now I am wondering if I should shoot for the sky and pick one of those up instead.

Yes, I am confused, but can only get one right now. Can anyone infuse me with some sanity?

FWIW, I have a Marshall JCM800, and a Soldano Atomic 16, so, my concern (other than possibly too much volume) for the Club Deluxe is that I'll probably be running another amp with EL34s...

2. Aslan

Aslan Supporting Member

I have a TopHat CR 1x12 and love it. I like the compact size yet it's plenty loud for any gig. Mine has the Celestion G12H speaker. The Club Royale is Top Hat's biggest seller for a reason, is just sounds killer! I prefer the 1x12 because it's just so easy to carry, I can grab my amp and guitar and walk into the place we're playing and setup in less than 5 minutes. I only use the following pedals (Keeley compressor, Keeley Java boost, Keeley modded Rat, and Visual sound H20 delay/chorus). The pedals are kept in the back of the amp and I bought a heavy padded cover so I just grab the guitar & amp and once I'm set up I put a e609 mic on the amp and I'm ready. Life is simple for a change!

3. Rev2S

Rev2S Member

Take a left on Hudgens Rd, then a right on....
    I have a CR 2x12 and the thing is a beast. The 2x12 is light in comparison to my Bad Cat 1x12. Either the 1x12 or 2x12, you can't go wrong. Buy used and save several hundreds of dollars.

4. mprvise

mprvise Member

I've got a 1X12 and love it for smaller club gigs, rehearsals, and the occasional restaurant gig. Just doesn't cut it for me on larger gigs, or in situations where I need a louder clean tone. Great sounding amp though. If I was set on a CR and it was to be my only amp I would go 2X12.

TGP member Aaron Davis has both and has played mine as well. Perhaps he'll chime in.

5. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

LOL!! Hey Dylan! :cool:

This is one thing I can give you some iron clad info on. Since I regularly switch between 2 Club Royales that have circuits that sound virtually identical (I’ve tested this by going between the cabs with both amp circuits). I’ve conversed with Brian Gerhard (sp?) about this and I have to disagree and use my ear. He claims that the 2x12 should open up the high end and all frequencies for that matter. But here is my experience.

This should be true for all 1x12 to 2x12 configurations but it seems to be exaggerated with the Club Royale, which is an inherently bright amp (think chime from a Vox and Matchless). I dig a bright amp, one of the traits that makes the Club Royale great actually. It’s a nice airy high end though, not shrill and piercing. A 1x12 amp (Club Royale especially) is a brighter, more beaming amp compared to the 2x12. There is a slight phase cancellation that goes on between 2 speakers that smoothes out the highs to make a 2x12 a more rounded less beaming tone. I have to stress, this isn’t a subtle difference. It is extremely apparent between my two amps.

So if I had to choose I’d definitely choose the 2x12. The 1x12 is great and yes a compact amp. But my 1x12 is my back up amp that is used to supplement when I need more volume or as my practice amp when my 2x12 is set up at a gig or loaded up for the next one…

Good luck! The Club Royale is the ultimate amp IMO.

6. MinuteMan

MinuteMan Member

I have the TH CR 2 X 12 that has one Celestion Blue and one stock G12H that sounds great. Hangs right in there with my Vox HW AC30.

7. ROKY

ROKY Member

The latest version 1x12 Club w/the deep cabs are pretty big sounding, if
    you don't need 2 12's .

I plan on getting one those, this year . . OR

You also might consider the Supreme 16 head and cab(1 or 2 12's).

I'm liking the idea of being able to plug the 16 head into a variety of
    cabinets(since I have a variety of cabs) .

The recent Club 1x12 is a BIG sounding amp though ..

8. Free

Free Member

Well first, the CR and SD are extremely different amps. The SD has a lot more headroom and a more low-midrange overdrive and tonal emphasis. The CR has a brighter, more harmonicly saturated and more compressed overdrive tone, with an omnipresent Vox-like el84 treble characteristic with that amp that one either loves or doesn't.

If you want an amp you can open-up and really get the full benefit of el84 output stage overdrive, the CR is the winner. However, if you want a fatter more midrangey JTM45 type tone with more overhead, go with the SD. Plus the SD is a better pedal foundation IMO, if you like OD pedals.

Now as far as the EL34 thing goes, the SD and a JCM800 and world's apart. The SD sounds like a JTM45 or Bassman. So, don't let the fact that you have a Marshall sway you - it's a non-issue. Focus more on what tones you prefer between the "Club Royale" and Super Deluxe."

Additionally, don't let mere popularity sway you! That's no way to go. Good luck.

-Mike

9. farlowhigh

farlowhigh Member

not to complicate your choices unnecessarily, but there is also the very cool Vanderbilt 33 which has 2 6L6s (which can be swapped for 6v6s without rebiasing) and otherwise has the same set of knobs and switches as the Supreme 16 (which is itself related to the Club Royale)...the Vanderbilt can really sound Fendery, Voxy and Marshally depending on how you dial in the sound...very versatile and great master volume to make it usable at a variety of volumes...might be worth a look if you are already considering the Super Deluxe...

10. Don L

Don L Member

I'd go for the 2x12. They just sound bigger and rounder in general. I've been gigging with a 2x12 CR for the last 2 plus years and could not be happier.

11. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

2x12 Club Royale

12. KazJY

KazJY Member

Thanks for all the feedback (no pun intended). Aaron, while trying out each amp (a year apart from each other, no less), I remember now that I liked the 2x12 because it was a bit more of a rounded tone. You nailed it.

I will be checking out other Top Hat models (Thanks Free and farlowhigh - I understand the differences a bit more now), but I have a hunch it'll end up being a CR 2x12 for now.

If anyone else has additional advice or suggestions, please chime in!

13. ROKY

ROKY Member

My local dealer has a 33. I really need to drag my butt down there and
    plug in, sometime, soon ..

14. Teh RedWizard

Teh RedWizard Member

Yea...go big,and get a KING! :dude

15. ROKY

ROKY Member

:dude They are amazing-sounding .

16. Teh RedWizard

Teh RedWizard Member

Just took delivery of a '99 head today...dark green beauty! :AOK

17. ROKY

ROKY Member

RAWK !!! :BEER

2 of my TH heads are dark green and in the same era as yours.
    My Emplexador(w/ KT-66's) is a '98 model and the Ambassador a '99 .

The Embassy head I have is similiar to a King Royale but is powered by
    4 6V6s, and is covered in rough brown tolex like the early 60s Fenders .:cool:

18. KazJY

KazJY Member

all this thread hijacking and no PICS???? ;)

... show em if ya got em!

:RoCkIn

19. ROKY

ROKY Member

Ambassador 100
    [​IMG]
    Emplexador
    [​IMG]
    KT66 shot
    [​IMG]

20. JDW3

JDW3 Member

I have a '99 CR with Weber Blue Dog/Celestion GB. I have logged (not really logged) hundreds if not thousands of hours on this amp. I was in a band that played every weekend for awhile. Every time we loaded in and sound checked, I would be reconvinced that this was the best sounding amp I've ever had. Because by the end of the night, you really can't tell with the drummer blasting away and ear fatigue.

The cleans are sweet and shimmering with a P-90. Slap a little delay in there and maybe a chorus pedal; you could jam all night like that.

Only downfall of this amp is the fact that it doesn't take OD pedals to well. Leads will not be boosted very much!