Top Hat Club Royale. What tubes have you tried?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by kingdavidy2k, Mar 4, 2015.

1. kingdavidy2k

kingdavidy2k Member

Gotta say I'm loving mine now after changing the speaker to Celestion V-Type.
    I didn't know how to work the EQ when I first got it but now I think I found the sweet spot for me:
    Master Full, Cut 9:15, Bass 8:45, Mids 11:00, Treble 1:00, Gain 8:30-11:00.

I like the Tingsol as per suggested by Brian on the 12ax7s instead of new Mullards. But having always set the master full, I like new Mullards EL84 better than Tungsol, The Mullards just smoother and creamier. The Tungsol is brighter. I haven't tried JJs yet or any NOS stuff.

Would anyone share their experience with tubes in the CR?
    Thanks

2. kingdavidy2k

kingdavidy2k Member

3. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

With my older CR's (early 2000's) I like JJ EL84 power tubes and a nice Ei in V1.

4. Bobbyb

Bobbyb Member

Yeah, I just use the JJs, I can't even remember now the exact configuration, but getting the same thing for years now. Real solid. That said, and I'm not trying to stomp on people's religion or anything like that but I think getting too overdone on tube stuff is a waste of time. I've had people recommend tube kits that cost half as much as what I paid for the amp and to me that's just silliness. It's just an amp. Not saying to not put ANY thought into it, just letting you know why I haven't tried every crazy matched NOS thing in the world. I tried some tubes once after I got the amp and said "oh these work." and then called myself done.

5. Janderson

Janderson Member

I've always gone with JJ's. They seem to be the best sounding without breaking the bank.