Top Hat Emplexador MkII - Finally she's here!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by supar6, Feb 24, 2008.

1. supar6

supar6 Member

Well - I finally was able to pick up my Top Hat Emplexador MKII and matching 2x12 cab a few weeks ago and all I can say is WOW! I can't tell you how many amps I've been through trying to find something that just floored me with both single coils and humbuckers. She's very versitile and seems like it can go from absolute Marshall plexi to cleaning up a bit for that Fender clean tone with a bit of an edge. She may look classy and sweet but HOLY CRAP is she built like a tank.

Best part for me is - I use it at home mostly so I needed something that didn't make my ears bleed (or cause my dogs to freak out) but was worried that the master volume would really take away from her. I couldn't be more wrong. She sounds like a non-master amp and I'll say Brian at Top Hat did a fantastic job with this one!

She wasn't cheap but man is she worth it!!! Just thought I'd share a few pics and my thoughts about it with you.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Jay Strange

Jay Strange Member

I lso have a MKII and dig it, serious tone machine:AOK

3. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

A great great amp. I love the cleans as much as the grunts.

4. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

5. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

Jackson Heights Birthplace of Johnny Thunders
    I Just turned off the switch five seconds ago

It gets all swirly and shimmery and then it gets all rock the house loud yet you can still hear all the tonal seperation in those powerchords Sweet

Oh Don't cha feel like a lucky man

EnJoY ThE MuSiC
    Groovey Records
    Listening to Chicago Transit Authority
    Freeform Guitar

6. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

7. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

I love that amp. I do wish he did them the way he used to as far as the cosmetics. I liked the old look beter. much beter. great tone though. great.

8. supar6

supar6 Member

See I'm kind of with the other camp on the looks. I had the option of getting a little older one but couldn't pass on the matching cab. Maybe that's what is doing it for me. :)

9. geoangus

geoangus Member

you are one lucky dawg!! I'm on the hunt for a newer club royale 2x12 so that I can join the TopHat camp. Their kool-aid is so sweeeet

10. Jay Strange

Jay Strange Member

I almost cnsidered selling my MKII and SOOO glad I didn't. Does Marshall better than Marshall with mucho versatility.Les Paul, Strat, 335, PRS all sound great with it, which was a big surprise. Also can be set clean and takes overdrives very well. Loves H30s! Everyday I seem to like it more and more.:BEER

11. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Congrats! I've got the "Mk I" version of the Emplexador 50w, and it's one AMAZING amp. I'd like to try the Mk II version.

12. localmotion411

localmotion411 Supporting Member

I would have owned one of these months ago if I could find some good sound clips of the different possible tones and gain voicings.

13. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

Well, I can't promise "good", but here are some clips I posted a while ago:

http://music.articulateimages.com/Emplex2VintageClean.mp3

http://music.articulateimages.com/Emplex2VintageGain.mp3

http://music.articulateimages.com/Emplex2ModernGain.mp3

Recorded in a garage, and they sound like it, but it should give you an idea of some of the range of the amp.

14. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

15. ROKY

ROKY Member

Same, here .

16. meterman

meterman Member

Here's a couple. Mic placement leaves alot to be desired, too much woof and not enough clarity compared to what I was hearing in the room but at least you can get a rough idea of the range of gain. These are a '97 model, not the MkII, I don't believe the design has changed just the specs & quality of some of the key components (OT, choke?). Great great amp, these clips don't do it justice but better than nothing....

Click here to watch 1997-Emplexador-with-Strat-clip

Click here to watch 1997-Emplexador-w-LP-copy

17. jakins

jakins Member

meterman, clips sound good...after hearing how good the master is supposed to me on the new MKII, i am quite tempted...very tempted, actually.

what would you guys recommend speakerwise for a 212? greenie/G12H?

18. meterman

meterman Member

Thanks man. Like I say the mic was pointed straight on the cone and came out kind of muffled sounding, I've been having better luck recently with the mic slightly off-axis at a 45 degree angle...yeah the master on this one is great and the MkII is supposed to be even better...

I'm using a 2x12 at 16ohms with a 70th Anniversary G12H-30 and Heritage H. I also like a G12H-30/V30 combo but not as much as two G12Hs or the G12H/HeritageH. I think the Emplex would blow two Greenbacks unless you were really careful with it, especially based on a recent thread about power handling....