Top Hat Emplexador MkII..sickest Amp Ever

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by DWEBS4747, Jun 16, 2007.

1. DestroyAllGuitars

DestroyAllGuitars Member

remocity,

My favorite 4 x 12 combo for the MKII is 2 G12H30s down below and 2 Greenbacks up top, in a slant-top cab.

The G12T-75 is the higher powered speaker that I've gotten the best results with, especially in a 1 x 12. No problem with the mids at all. I have also played through a 4 x 12 with Classic Lead 80s and it was fine. Not my personal favorite but certainly a usable sound with some others liking it better than I. What it gained in "grind" on the overdriven side of things, it seemed to lose in warmth and depth. IMO, a good effect but not a sound I'd want all the time.

Cliff

2. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

My ears are not in the same league as Cliff's, but I'm running my MkII into an oversized semi-open 1-12 with a Cele Gold. The big cab gives it some thump and matches well with the brightness and clarity of the speaker. I'm loving mine, but it ain't a 4-12 either. Which is just as well because I'd be arrested if I showed up any place I can play with a 4-12...

3. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

I finally got to demo one today and all I can say is AWESOME! I loved the first version, but this one is out of this world..... The Tyler I used didn't hurt either.....

[​IMG]

4. dookie

dookie Member

I know the foam on that door...

TONE MERCHANTS!!

5. bluessyndicate

bluessyndicate Member

Yeah, and that's the voodoo plex to the right, which of course is next to the CAE OD-100 which is next to the Germino Classic 45....which circles around some effects etc...and ends up next to the Badger!

6. meterman

meterman Member

I just put a couple rough clips of my '97 Emplex up on Putfile if anybody's interested

http://media.putfile.com/1997-Emplex...ith-Strat-clip

http://media.putfile.com/1997-Emplexador-w-LP-copy

total wank playing but trying to put it through some paces, long clips compressed at 128kbps to keep the size down...tubes are nothing special, GT Mullard copy & EH in the pre & EH power....microphone placement leaves lots to be desired, it's a 57 about 1" from the cloth on a closed back 2x12, too bass heavy, looking forward to getting a Sennheiser e906 soon....anyway no FX, guitar>amp>57>Cubase>wav>mp3

anyway you can get an idea of the amp's range, though I have not played a new one & can't speak to the differences....

7. 6120

6120 Member

I just got off the phone with CliffC at destroy all guitars, and heard the Tophat Club Royal MKII, and I was very impressed . Although it is admittedly difficult to determine tone over phone, my demo from Cliff along with his detailed review of the amp lead me to believe this is the amp for me. It had some great chime much like the supreme 16 or a vintage Vox but had a little more thickness. The combo looks very nice. Anybody else interested in this one? https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/313863

[​IMG]

8. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

Jackson Heights Birthplace of Johnny Thunders
    Cliff,

I just wanted to thank you for all the help and advice with my new Emplexador II. The time we spent talking about tubes, speakers, cabinets, other amplifiers, guitars, pickups and a million other details was very intense.

Trumpets and Violins I can hear them in the distance. I think their caliing my name.
    I just can't wait to start getting into the groove with this machine.

You are one in a million and they broke the mold after they got done prototyping your ass.

Joe Tee

9. papersoul

papersoul Member

I wanted to bring this topic up again from the dead becasue I wonder a few things. Is the MK II Emplexador a bright amp? How about features? Effects loop? Any solo/lead boost functions?

10. fusionbear

It can be a bright amp if you set it that way. You can dial it in dark if you want. A loop is is an added option and Brian prefers the amp without it. There are no footswitchable functions. He wants the amps to be as simple as possible. IMO, the Emplex is the best sounding 50 watt JMP/JCM clone out there. Great tone, but it does have to turned up a little for it to sound like it should.

11. psyandy

psyandy Supporting Member

This thread makes me sad :(. Mine is on the Emporium.....

The amp is so versatile and can really EQ however you see fit and it just screams.

Full Marshall range from Clean Plexi to Screaming JCM 800....scoop the mids and it's very articulate and can do some of those Mesa-ish tones as well.

12. vds5000

vds5000 Member

That being said, it still has the best gain tones I've ever heard at bedroom volumes.

13. TheFife

TheFife Active Member

I can't wait to confirm this. Brian is shipping my custom purple and white Emplexador and matching 2x12 cab out today. I already own an Ambassador 35 and it is my favorite clean amp ever. I'm planning to use the Emplexador for gainy tones and the Ambassador for clean tones with an amp switcher.

Brad

14. vds5000

vds5000 Member

You're gonna love it! I just picked up the newest version (lit logo) just under a week ago.

15. Oz Hofstatter

Oz Hofstatter Gold Supporting Member

Hi Guys,
    Do you have some experience with a Top Hat Emplexador MKII 100w?
    I'm just wondering what are the difference between the 50w and 100w......
    Cheers,
    Oz

16. ROKY

ROKY Member

Hey, you're in my hometown !

I bought an earlier Emplexador a few yrs. ago from a guy that lives there,
    who'd moved onto a Germino Lead 55 .

I have an Ambassador also, and the two amps are a great A/B rig .

Custom purple and white .. man you have to post some pics when you
    get the amp .

17. dehughes

dehughes Member

I love these "back from the dead" threads. It's neat to see how things change and where people land over the years...

18. sparkman

sparkman Gold Supporting Member

Brian just built me a purple and while 100 watt MKII Emplexador a little bit ago. I'm still waiting on the matching 4x12. Oz--the 100 watter is everything that the 50 is and more. Just a bigger, throatier sounding amp--but still very organic. While the 50 is magical, the 100 just has that extra special something! Great amps!!!

19. fusionbear

It goes to 11! :roll

20. ahab

ahab Member

I would love to see pictures of those purple Emplexadors!