Top Hat Emplexidor opinions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Loobster, Jun 15, 2008.

1. Loobster

Loobster Member

I have found a Top Hat Emplexidor for a good price and am considering flipping my 1973 Hiwatt DR103 to get it. I like great warm cleans and semi-cleans which of course the Hiwatt provides in absolute spades, but from what I've heard the TH could really appeal to me. I'm kinda tired of the Hiwatt being such a one trick pony and miss just being able to plug into the amp and get some crunchy gain rather than hook up my pedals all the time to the Custom 100.

Well, opinions. I'll probably go and try it out at some point this week.

2. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

Fantastic amps.. Nuff said!

3. Loobster

Loobster Member

How's about the clean/semi-clean sounds with Fender single coils, especially teles?

4. Jay Strange

Jay Strange Member

The Emp MKII can do exactly as you wish and much more!

5. Loobster

Loobster Member

I dunno if it's the MKII. It's the Oxblood coloured one with the block logo + two mini switches on it.

6. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

The one you are referring to is an older one. None the less the Emplex's are all great amps. It covers plexi and more modern JCM 800ish tones. It was my 1st favorite boutique amp. Didn't really evaluate the cleans but I see so reason why you couldn't get nice plexish clean out of it turning your volume down. They are hard to find used and if the price is right I'd snag it.

7. Zuper

Zuper Supporting Member

The Emplexador is a very versatile amp. Sweet cleans, and the "Modern" channel really kills! Plenty of classic Marshall goodness all in one box.

8. meterman

meterman Member

GREAT amp! I've got a 50w from '97 and it smokes. Fat, beautiful Plexi cleans on the Vintage voicing with single coils, and with humbuckers the Modern voicing can get up into Warren Haynes type tones...

9. ROKY

ROKY Member

That one is right before the MKII, and should give you exactly what
    you're asking for .

I have an older version('98) w/ KT66s and it is great as well .

All the versions of the Emplexador should be winners, really, as the
    builder, Brian Gerhard is particularly tuned into Marshalls - they are
    his favorite style of amp .

BTW, I have a Hiwatt 50(early Biacrown) and it has more gain in the
    preamp .. love that amp !

Good luck .

10. Probos

Probos Gold Supporting Member

I had a MkI Emplexador -- miss that amp. Sounded especially good with a Tele on the vintage setting for crunch tones.

That said you can cover more ground with a few good pedals and that Hiwatt me thinks. The Emplexador can do a pretty good clean tone but not like the Hiwatt -- it's better for crunch and modded Marshall higher gain stuff.

11. Kiwi

Kiwi Silver Supporting Member

The Emplex is like the history of Marshall in one box, with those two voicing switches giving you a vast range of clean-to-warm-furry-crunch tones up to the edge of high gain. Its master volume is the most usable I've ever come across. It's not as brutally loud as some 50w amps. Takes pedals well. Incredibly well built.

Sounds like it's what you need if you want to plug straight in and dial up a variety of the crunchy tones. (Wow, 100w of Hiwatt has got to be really clean and stiff!)

When you try it out: Be sure to plug your fave guitar into both the inputs, use all the switches in various combinations, and revel in the variety of tones you'll get.

+K+

12. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

Haha, you're getting as bad as me.

13. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

I had an Emplexador Mk I for a couple of years, great amp for Marshall tones, for sure. I also had a 50W Harry Joyce for a while (think Hiwatt). The Emplex didn't have the same big bottom of the HJ, the Emplex was a bit more mid-focused. I wonder how the Emplex Mk II compares in this regard? It has different trannies.....

14. Johnnythunders

Johnnythunders Member

I would be interested in the hiwatt.

15. stratton

stratton Member

I had the Mk1 and sold it for lack of bottom, but always missed it.

I bought the Mk 2 and it seems to be one of the rare instances of a clear across the board improvement. To my ears everything is better on the Mk2.

To the OP, with the Mk1 you'd be gaining a lot of flexibility with a possible compromise in the utimate cleans category. I say possible because you could really dig it.

16. ROKY

ROKY Member

I'd really like to hear the MKII someday..

Would you mind elaborating some on the differences ?

17. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Absolutely amazing amp for Marshall type tones.

18. Loobster

Loobster Member

Thanks for the replies, all. I'm going to at least try it.

To the guy who expressed some interest in the Hiwatt, I'd be looking for about $1700 and I'm in the UK. It's a 240v.

19. meterman

meterman Member

20. stratton

stratton Member

Sure. I spend more time on the Vintage channel (mode?) and I think that is where the biggest differences are found. The cleans are sweeter and sexier with more chime, and they range from perfectly clean to a pushed grind, fatter bottom JTM45 or skinnier, more aggressive JMP.

The OD sounds in Modern mode are great, from barely breaking up to pretty saturated with the gain dimed, and all very organic. It can sound pretty mean with the mids scooped, or Allman-ish with more mids and less gain.

The master volume works better as well. It sounds really good at bedroom levels. The tones go to another level, seem to solidify with the MV at 9:00 or so (which still isn't all that loud), and then yet another level of roar and sag with the power tubes and cab gettting into the action at 12:00.

Possibly the best MV amp I've ever owned. Strat, Tele, LP, PRS, they have all sounded great through the MK2. I think the Mk2 realizes the potential of the Mk1, which is a great amp too.