1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Top Hat King Royale vs Hayseed 30

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jlearman, Jan 13, 2006.

1. jlearman

jlearman Member

Assume they are exactly the same price. Which would you buy? Why?

2. wordsonyou

wordsonyou Member

Without taking anything away from the Hayseed I would go TopHat for the same price. Better resale value, and a new take on the ac30 which gives you more tight bass, and smoother distortion than a traditional ac30. Plus tophat hand wiring is the one of the best in the business - it is just a great ac30 type amp period. The Hayseed is an ac30 circuit for the most part (98 percent lets say with differences being current available parts) and is of course well built and quite affordable even at the new prices. The King Royale is one of my favorite ac30 inspired amp. When it comes to actual Vox tones I still would rather own a Vox but that's another thread. I am sure you will get plenty of Hayseed owners chiming in vouching for them, so I thought I would express my opinion and take it as just that - one man's view.

3. GM1

GM1 Member

Is Tophat still around? I had heard Brian was going to sell the business.

4. 69strat

69strat Member

I,m glad you asked. My Hayseed was about 2 days old when I went to Cliff,s from destroy all guitars for the Swan ,Fargen fest. When I saw the king I had to try it. Well lets just say that the King blew my doors off. I still have and will always have my Hayseed but the king is, Well, the king!!!!

5. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

the rumours of his demise are greatly exaggerated..... ;)

6. ahab

ahab Member

Yup, he is currently shipping new amps and is working on some new models.
    -Ahab

Oh, yeah, I would take the King Royal as well, but I would want a head so that I could run it through my 4x12 greenback cab.

7. dehughes

dehughes Member

King Royale, no question. I just played a new one last week, fresh off the Top Hat benches (plus 3,000 miles or so...;) ), and it was one of the best Top Hats I've ever heard. Fantastic. Brian is indeed at the top of his game, and if he gets any better then my head will most likely explode. :)

david

8. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Silver Supporting Member

King Royale!!!!!!!!!

9. joek86

joek86 Supporting Member

10. sundaypunch

sundaypunch Member

The Hayseed is a great amp. I haven't played the Tophat. As for resale, you can easily sell a Hayseed for what you paid for it. He's several months behind on orders so used ones sell pretty much immediately.

11. IPlayHamers

IPlayHamers Member

Can you get the King Royale in a head? If so, I'd go for it. Oherwise it's the Hayseed for me. The days of carting around heavy combos are over for me.

IPH

12. granite

granite Member

I'm curious, those of you who have posted....have you played both? Wordsonyou and 69strat have, but what about the rest? The Tophat name is probably better known and more Tophat's seem to be readily available, but how can you post an opinion without having played both?

Also as far as price, a NEW King Royal head lists at $2399 while a NEW Hayseed Head with the EF86 option lists for $1074. I think comparing the two is unrealistic without also comparing price/value. It's like comparing a $50,000 sports car to a $25,000 sports car. You have to compare the whole package not just how fast they do the quarter mile in.

I'm probably biased because I have a Hayseed head on order, but I've played a King Royal and liked it a lot, but didn't buy one due to my budget. I'll post my opinions comparing the two amps once my Hayseed arrives end of this month/Feb.

13. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

IMHO, the KR sounded as much an AC30, as a matchless amp does. still, the KR head i used at a friend's gig had me $hit grinningthe whole night.

14. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

two great points!!

15. bluesbreaker59

bluesbreaker59 Silver Supporting Member

Hayseed 30 no question. One of the best amps I've ever owned, and by the way I've owned a few (vintage Fenders, boutique, you name it)

Unfortunately my damn ex-wife took it in the divorce, so I have to get a new one. But while I had it, we compared it to some vintage JMI AC30's, and the Hayseed hung with them, everytime. Its voiced almost identically to the JMI's that I've heard and spent time with.

Eventually when I'm money up again, I will be on Rob's long list. That man is a saint too, great service and a great product.

16. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Silver Supporting Member

:BITCH

17. granite

granite Member

To loosely quote an old country music song, "She got the gold mine, you got the shaft."

18. morgan

morgan Guest

I think they're sort of different animals. The ac30 "types" - matchless, bad cats, top hats are all really nice amps, but they definitely do their own thing and bring something else to the table. The hayseed aims to be a vox, and I think it succeeds. It's more about what tones you're going after.

19. sundaypunch

sundaypunch Member

Of course you can. And the opinon is worth exactly what he paid for it :)
    It is a good point and one that I think most people keep in mind when they read a thread in internet forum.

And to take your point a step further, playing one in a store is one thing. Living with it and seeing how it works w/ multiple guitars in a band situation is another. It would be ideal to only get comments from experienced players that own both amps. That is going to limit his responses to next to nothing.

20. tralfax19645

tralfax19645 Member

Hi,
    If anyone would like me to charge them 2x plus for a hayseed to make this comparison I would gladly do it for you.
    Rob