top hat king royale?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by adelphi710, Aug 7, 2005.

1. adelphi710

adelphi710 Member

hey, i was just curious if the king royale (2x12 combo) has an early break up with a good amount of power, or would i need an attenuator? how does it take pedals? do the two different channels differ? thanks,
    alex

2. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

The full EQ channel is controlled by the MV, the vol/tone channel is not. So you should be able to set it up for crunch and clean.

3. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Very versitile amp! Plenty of power and sounds amazing! If someone said "here, you can have either this Matchless DC30 or a King Royale"... I'd take the King! (Actually I'd take my Club Royale over any other amp, so I'm a little biased...)

4. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Silver Supporting Member

Used to own a script logo KR. Killer amp. Period.

5. garyrogue

garyrogue Gold Supporting Member

I think there is still a head for sale in the ads.

6. lookslikemeband

lookslikemeband Member

Hey!

I own an original "Scripty" KR 2X12 (and an original Exmplexador), and I've got to tell you....

To get it to "break up", it's going to be stadium volume!!!!

It has the MOST clean headroom of any amp I've ever owned (except for maybe a Hiwatt 100 watter).

If I were you, I'd either get an attenuator, or simply push it with a good OD pedal (modded TS-9, or Reverend Drivetrain II sound AMAZING through mine!!).

No matter what.... hold on to that thing with your life!! When Brian's work become famous..... It's going to BLOW UP in value!!!

Good luck brother!!

Lance / MISSING MAN

7. lookslikemeband

lookslikemeband Member

whoops.... one more thing... If you DO want something to break up a little earlier with a good, creamy distortion, I'd recommend a Super Deluxe.....

AMAZING AMP!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

folks over at the TopHat forum suggest a 5V4 rectifier for earlier breakup.

9. dehughes

dehughes Member

Yup. That was my favorite recto tube in my KR.

david

10. sicktone

sicktone Member

Also, check out the Club Royale. It does it's own thing, but is full of Top Hat goodness at lower volume levels (if that's your issue).

11. myles111

myles111 Member

Alex

These are wonderful amps.

The channel with the single volume and tone is a great "Vox AC-30". The other channel is quite different with a master (that is one that works quite well), and effective tone controls. To cut to the chase, the channels are different.

My particular amp has a 1/2 power mod done by Brian (before I had the amp) and I have never used it.

The amp takes pedals as a Vox AC-30 would. Right there in the middle of most amps, so it's fine and dandy.

The amp is built very well to say the least and is a very touch sensitive amp that is really a player's dream but can be quite loud. You always have the option of something like and AirBrake that works amazingly well with this amp. On step "2" it will be like a 15 watter or so.

If you are ever near Los Angeles you are more than welcome to borrow mine and compare to other amps or gig with it. It is a workhorse and I have no problems with it going out on gigs with friends.

12. jpagey

jpagey Supporting Member

My 1999 Club Deluxe sure is!