Top Hat Super Deluxe 1X12 ... too loud for smaller clubs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by leftyvic, Apr 10, 2015.

1. leftyvic

leftyvic Member

I am going to start playing some smaller clubs with my original project, and looking for a good tube amp to gig with. I fell for this demo of a Top Hat Super Deluxe Mk 2 1X12, especially for the cleaner and slightly dirtier tones (will be playing either a Nash Tele or a Trussart Tele, often capo'd). Looking for something a little more Vox-ish with some versatility (I have a couple of Fender amps but use a Fractal Audio AxeFX 2 direct to FOH in the Grateful Dead project I play lead guitar in).

I understand that the SD takes pedals better than the smaller Club Royale Top Hat, not that I would use anything other than a light overdrive to push a little bit, but I'm a little concerned that at 33 watts it might be a little overpowered for my needs (it's always going to be mic'd), not to mention it looks to be fairly large and heavy for a grab-and-go amp.

Any thoughts or experiences playing smaller venues with this amp?

2. s360guitarist

s360guitarist Silver Supporting Member

3. drpicklo

drpicklo Supporting Member

you should be fine. If it is too loud put a lower db speaker in it (G12M-65 or Tone Tuby Chicago Blue) and it will knock it back a bit.

4. ROKY

ROKY Member

Great master volume on the TopHats, also - I have 5 of 'em.

The Super Deluxe can also use a pair 6V6s, IIRC ..

5. cochese

cochese Supporting Member

I presently own the Top Hat Vanderbilt which is a very similar amp and power rating. According to Brian these amps are 33,watts running 6l6's & EL34's and 20 watts running 6V6's. The amp is only 23 watts running the bigger tubes, my tech measured it. Top Hat rates the amps at distorted wattage.

With a 212 cab the amp works for me at most band gigs. Sometimes I'll swap out the tubes on a gig. I usually run the mast up full. With a 112.cab the amp is a little soft for band gigs.

6. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

I used an early Super Deluxe 2x12 in a variety of venues, worked very well, the MV was great on that amp, I would dial it in for edge of breakup.

7. leftyvic

leftyvic Member

Thanks, guys. Can anyone comment on how changing from the EL34 to the 6V6 changes the tonal character?

8. Brit'ish

Brit'ish Member

I recently sold my pair of SD but they were good amps and the master volume was good. I ran one with 6v6 tubes and the speaker into the 4ohm jack. The sound and feel was very tweed deluxe but with treble/mid/bass and boost it was great.

9. cochese

cochese Supporting Member

The only tubes I don't like in my Vanderbilt are the 6L6's. To me the EL34 & 6 V6's sound simular but less headroom with the 6V6.

10. NielsM

NielsM Member

Indeed.

I have a 35 Watt Ambassador which can be set at a real low volume, so don't worry. But this amp does have the 6v6's..

11. batfish

batfish Member

I think the power level sounds about right. I play small clubs ( 50-100 people, mostly) with a 20 watt non master volume tube amp and it's perfect for rock n' roll (I can crank it right up), but would actually be too low powered if I needed a lot of clean headroom. I'm always mic'd as well and always ask the sound men if I'm too loud and haven't yet been told I was (granted, I'm not pro and only play shows maybe once a month or so). I think 30 watts sounds like a good amount of power for the small club situation, personally, you'll be able to push it into light overdrive (most likely) but still have some headroom (most likely), depending on other factors like the efficiency of the speaker, loudness and density of your band, etc. BTW- I had never heard of that amp, but it sounds really nice!