Top notch analog delay?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by DigitalHater, Mar 3, 2012.

1. DigitalHater

DigitalHater Member

I hate having my DM2 in my line, and I hate wasting the space of having it in a true bypass looper, not to mention that it seems to drop the level just a little, so there's another reason I don't like it in a looper. For years, I had the DM2 in front of a DD3, so right there I had a good tag team of dark analog and longer, clean delay tones.
    Once I started really trying to keep my signal as clean as possible, putting things in bypass loops to chase down the dreaded "tone suck" I became aware of what they were doing to my tone (ignorance was bliss). In the interim I've gotten a carbon copy (I like it, it's just not meshing with me, seems to take me longer to dial it in than the old, trusty Boss) and a Keeley modded AD9 (I like the runaway stomp switch, but it just seems to lack that swampy magic of an analog delay).
    /rant

I'm torn between 2 pedals which I think could end my quest:
    Analogman ARDX20 (the dual analog delay)
    Retro-Sonic analog delay

They both seem like top notch pedals, I've heard many good things about them, but I'm stuck because they both seem so good that I can't go wrong. They are both pricey, so there's no way I'll get both, but they are in the same price range, so I could sell off the Keeley, and feasibly pick one of them up.

Has anyone played both?
    What do you think?

2. TheGuacamoleXplosion

TheGuacamoleXplosion Member

I've played neither. But I would suggest to give the EHX Memory Boy Deluxe a test drive before deciding. Best bang for the buck analog delay IMHO. Yes, it's not small, and possibly not on the same build quality level as Analogman and Retro-Sonic. But to my ears, it sounds really nice, it has Tap Tempo with subdivisions, and you can assign an expression pedals to feedback (I always want that on delay), or alternatively to delay time, mix, modulation.

3. Maxwell-

Maxwell- Member

I've heard two and I like the ARDX20 better. Whatever that means. ARDX20 does definately have some "swamp" thing going on.