Top shops in L.A?

rockstarzusa

Hi all, I am heading back over to L.A in the next month or so, and wanted to find out what places ppl have had good experiences with in the more boutique orientated gear. If there is any place that I should steer clear of, that would be good to know too. Cheers

TCauble

True Tone Music
714 Santa Monica Blvd
Santa Monica, California 90401

That place is pretty classic. Loads of boutique pedals, great amps and a good selection of guitars.

Pa'ani

Silver Supporting Member
Here's a few cool shops in L.A.(Norman Rare Guitars, L.A. Sound Design, Mesa Boogie LAB Sound, a bunch on Sunset Blvd.), but don't limit yourself there are incredible shops to be had in Orange County (Tone Merchants), San Bernardino County(Wild West Guitars).
Have a great trip!

Plague Dog

I will never buy even a guitar pick from True Tone.

Tone Merchants is a definite, it's like the disneyland of guitar gear. Actually more like an art gallery with priceless pieces hanging on the walls.

HowardMusic

Silver Supporting Member
My favorite shop in LA is Westwood Music - mainly because the people there are very nice and helpful. Of course, they have some nice gear as well - a lot of nice acoustic guitars, and some good electrics as well. I heard my first Goodsell amp there, the 5/17 mark III, which is great sounding amp. I recently had my Gretsch Plek'd there and the difference in the way it plays now is really amazing. Seriously good folks there that I trust. http://www.westwoodmusic.com/

Never been to Tone Merchants or to Wildwest, but it seems like they have some nice stuff too.

Soporific

Here's a few cool shops in L.A.(Norman Rare Guitars, L.A. Sound Design, Mesa Boogie LAB Sound, a bunch on Sunset Blvd.), but don't limit yourself there are incredible shops to be had in Orange County (Tone Merchants), San Bernardino County(Wild West Guitars).
Have a great trip!
Jim's Music in Irvine (Orange County) has lots of high end guitars as well.

~S

radcliff

True Tone
Jim's Music
Wild West in Riverside is worth the drive

give True Tone another chance, those guys are always cool to me now and they give very fair deals

Plague Dog

How can you be from Orange County and not have Tone Merchants on your list, I can't imagine there is a better guitar shop in existence.

myles111

If you want to play the most impressive guitars around go to www.frettedamericana.com and call them and make an appointment. The place is by appointment only.

That is where I took Carl and Brad to play together a while back.

I also spent a day there with Buddy Whittington (John Mayall) and it is generally a must see place for any of my GAB cleints that are in town.

Leonc

Wild Gear Hearder
Platinum Supporting Member
Yup, if you're into tip top vintage guitars (with very tip top prices to match), Fretted Americana is worth seeing. It's a haul if you're not in the SF Valley...but it's worth it. Very nice and knowledgeable people and guitars to slather over.

Gtrman100

Gold Supporting Member
Living close to the San Fernando Valley, my favorites are Norman's Rare Guitars in Reseda, and California Vintage Guitars in Sherman Oaks. Both are honest, fair and knowledgeable outlets with a variety of new and vintage stuff to check out.

myles111

Living close to the San Fernando Valley, my favorites are Norman's Rare Guitars in Reseda, and California Vintage Guitars in Sherman Oaks. Both are honest, fair and knowledgeable outlets with a variety of new and vintage stuff to check out.
Those are also two great shops.

ebenezer

Gold Supporting Member
+1 on Tone Merchants. The owner, Noel, is an awesome guy, they have an impressive amount of gear!
Also check out Wild West Guitars if you get the chance. A bit of a drive but they have a HUGE amount of inventory.

voodoosound

Funk & Grooven member
Gold Supporting Member
+1 on Tone Merchants. The owner, Noel, is an awesome guy, they have an impressive amount of gear!
Also check out Wild West Guitars if you get the chance. A bit of a drive but they have a HUGE amount of inventory.
Noel is not the owner. Rob Navarette is. Both are awesome guys though. They also have a very cool Bogner collection (not for sale).

zachhahn

pasadena guitars is a new shop on the corner of colorado and mentor.
jeff (the owner) is a super nice guy and they have some good stuff.
i got my victoria 5112 there.
top notch customer service.

deeval

Gold Supporting Member
Not me, I'd rather burn my money than deal the main guy(owner, Mgr ?) there. Worst service I've had anywhere, any city.:warning
Yeah Mgr,there is Bipolar,as sometimes he seems ok then you go there a month or so later and total jerk,wont help while you stand there waiting to buy something,they are just talking on phone or going back and forth to the back and you are the only one there,I have purchased several guitars from them over the two years and stop in once in a great while,so kind of a unfriendly place,but sometimes they have cool stuff like Komets,and Carr,s.:jo

Trending Topics