Top Three Humbucker Guitars For Blues/Classic Rock

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by BluesHarp, Jan 29, 2008.

1. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

I have played a strat for many years now, but am feeling the itch after watching a recent dvd to diversify my tones. I know the Les Paul is a good place to start, but what would be the top 3 axes for a little woody bite/tone but still creamy that will still solo nice in a blues context.

The strat I have is a maple neck fender deluxe strat with SD aps-1's and a ssl-5 in the bridge... it really nails hendrix tones for me. But rather than go with another strat for the SRV thing, id like to go with a different make and a humbucker pickup arrangement. I dont know if this is a good approach to getting some ideas as I dont need 1000 options, but from what Ive stated here maybe it will throw me in the general direction.

Thanks!!!

2. buffbiff21

buffbiff21 Member

Depends on what you're going for. I say a Les Paul and Strat are all you need really. How about PRS? Firebird? ES335?

3. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

Firebird? Es335? PRS? Would you say that these are 3 distinct tonal categorys?

4. Loni Specter

Loni Specter Member

Lot's of blues guys prefer the open airy tone from a semi-hollow body like a Gibson 335 or Guild Starfire IV. I have several in that category. I picked up a used newer Epiphone Riviera that KILLS for ony $220.

Also a Les Paul with P-90s is another of my favorite tones for blues/jazz.
    Be warned..Once you open the door to more than one guitar, there's no turning back!!!!

5. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

Im not really looking for that big body F hole type guitar. The Les Paul with P90's really has my interest peaked!!!

Whats with the P90's VS other humbuckers?

6. bc-cosmo

bc-cosmo Member

P90 sound? Fat like a humbucker but stringy since it's a single coil. Powerful, but also captures a lot of detail in your playing. Can do very cool old-school blues sounds.

7. ghoti

ghoti Member

BB King Lucille-type?

Not sure if it's too big for your liking...

8. The Last Rebel

The Last Rebel Member

Very different tonally.

Of the three I'd reccomend a PRS Standard 24. Very bluesy, has some of the best blues tone's I've ever heard.

9. GBStratman

GBStratman Member

I'm a strat guy too, and I just got the ES-339. It's really quite versatile. Clean it gets the BB King thing. Dirty it gets a lot of the Les Paul sounds (without the weight!). The neck is considerably chunkier than a strat, which takes some getting used to.

10. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

I had a prs custom 24 for 10 years or so w/ a 5 position switch that could cover all the blues bases.

11. Craftmatic

Craftmatic Silver Supporting Member

I have Strats and an ES 335. Just got a Reissue 1960 Les Paul Standard to die for, but because I'm a GAS-sy guy I have a jones for a TV yellow Les Paul Double Cutaway Special with P-90s. A guy had one at the open blues jam at a bar I always go to and it was the best sounding guitar all night. You can get a satin finished one for $750.

12. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

30 years mainly a strat guy, now branching out with an old ES-335. It's the sound I never could get from Les Pauls. (Not putting them down, just not for me.) Extremely versatile, but for me the blues always comes first.

An old Epi Riviera would work really well, in that same ballpark. As would a Robin Savoy and probably several Heritage guitars with HBers.

13. Jeep_Guy

Jeep_Guy Member

The semi-hollows have been mentioned quite a few times already. Would anyone take an LP over one for blues?

14. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Well then you'll just have to learn to adapt! [​IMG] ES-335s (and their clones) absolutely epitomize that rich, woody, bluesy tone you speak of.

15. beNsteR

beNsteR Member

Les Paul Standard, SG, ES-335.

16. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

In that case, is a hollow or chambered body guitar about the same approach?

17. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

I'd say go LP, ES-335 with a stoptail, and then get a freaking huge full hollowbody with a twang bar for those early rockabilly freakouts. That should cover your bases.

18. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

$750? Is that a used american or a new Epiphone/Gibson?

19. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

Bluesharp: I think fully hollow is somewhat of a different animal. Have long wanted a Guild Starfire II or III to try along with the 335. Those guilds have their own version of humbuckers, and are fully hollow. In the meantime, I am getting to know a '65 ES-330 with P-90s. It looks not far from the 335, but sounds and feels not much like it. The semi-hollow seems like the perfect compromise. You can get some of that solid body punch -- plus a woody, airy type of tone you can't easily get from the solids -- at high stage volumes. The fully hollow approach has its own tonal virtues, but is a bit harder to manage at higher volumes.

20. Jellecaster

Jellecaster Member

The PRS Johnny Hiland feels like a Fender and has more tonal diversity than any guitar I've played.