TopHat Ambassador Love!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by rawkguitarist, Apr 18, 2008.

1. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

I've been gigging and recording with my 2x12 Club Royale for the past... um 6 years. My favorite amp ever... but I had a call for a session last night and brought my newly acquired Ambassador 50 (dang it's heavy!). Man, it sounded amazing. It was so easy to get a good sound, the guy just put some mics on it and pressed record. :cool:

Any more Ambassador love?

2. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Great amps for sure! I remember hearing Riffmeister's old Ambassador at an amp get together on the E. Coast about 6-7 years ago. I absolutely dug it! I also dug his Emplexador 50 so much that I had to snag one! Top Hat amps are fantastic!

3. Wally Gator

Wally Gator Member

35 watt version here. Bought it new in '99 and am still enjoying the long honeymoon! Great cleans up to halfway then nice grit. Only out-cleaned by a Bruno 45, but nicer grind at lower volume. Does not have any speaker or guitar bias - all sound fantastic. One thing I'm curious about mine is it does not have any of the extra switches: bright, normal, fat, pull knobs, or half power. I really believe Brian did something special by leaving those off - addition by subtraction.

4. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Wally Gator, cool mine's a 99 model too! I've come to the realization that my TopHat era is the 99-2002 era. Brian's amps have evolved over the years and although the new ones sound amazing, they're just not my favorites. The aforementioned time period amps just work for my style and needs. They're cleaner and dare I say brighter.

TopHat fans should at least give an Ambassador a test drive if they get the chance. Probably not a whole lot of them out there, I'm sure glad I found one (TGP Emporium!!).

5. meterman

meterman Member

One of the few TopHats I've not had the pleasure of trying out, along with the S16 and V33. Sounds like a good one!

6. urlkonig

urlkonig Supporting Member

Mine is a scripty as well. It can go to clean to Roar, depending on the guitar and where you set the Mids, and loves ever pedal I've ever put in front of it. My only wish would be to have a 1x12 version...

7. Wally Gator

Wally Gator Member

Aaron, I agree with your thinking, but I'd go as far back as '97. I had a 3 knob, purple Club Deluxe and a dark green Club Royale. I'd run them together and just smile. Light as a feather as well - couldn't been more than 20 lbs each. When I got the 35 they had to go, but I wish I had either one now.

8. openbar

openbar Silver Supporting Member

I'm just waiting for a 50 watt 2x12...one of these days Alice!

9. ROKY

ROKY Member

100 watt script logo head, here; made in Nov.'99.

Been running it at 4 ohms w/ Cele Golds for something different, a little
    more Brit-inspired, but have also tried it w/a pair of Emi Cannabis Rex's
    and the Tonkers with excellent results.

Fantastic reverb, and yes, all my guitars sound great thru it.

The TAD short bottle 6L6s add some nice crunch w/ humbuckers.

Surf, blues, jazz, jangly-indie rock all sound convincing without need
    for additional pedals, but of course pedals sound excellent thru it.

10. Eddie V

Eddie V Member

I just picked up a 35 watt 2000 Ambassador combo in a trade and had no idea how cool this amp was. I've never owned a 6v6 amp before but have always missed and wanted the Fender cleans after playing thru a Fender. I'm also amazed at how good my Zvex box o rock and OCD sound thru them.
    I'm finding I can't push too much distortion thru it or it breaks up too much and is not musical but with one or the other distortion on it's amazing how it sings.
    I first thought that the speakers were pooping out when I pushed both distortion pedals but it sounds like this amp is just not built to react to stacking the distortion pedals like my EL34 amps.
    The amp pushed clean has a very SRV feel and sound to it. Especially when you rake it sweet.
    Excited new Top Hat owner.[​IMG]