TopHat Ambassador(Underrated?)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by rcargs96, Oct 17, 2008.

1. rcargs96

rcargs96 Member

Just picked up an Ambassador here on TGP. Deinitely at the peak of the honeymoon period, but I have to say this amp is incredible. Yet so little is written about them and finding clips is next to impossible (I will try to get something recorded and posted). I was running it LOUD last night with my Landgraff M'OD and it blew me away. Plus, used, they're a great value.

Are they underrated, underappreciated, or am I delusional? Thoughts??

2. TREV FLINT

TREV FLINT Member

I really want one of those one day..... I currently have a brand new "Super Deluxe" that sounds great!!!

3. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

I've always wanted to give one a try. What do you think of it tonally, I know it is mostly supposed to be a clean machine with a little dirt when cranked. What makes it special/standout to you?

_TJK*

4. rcargs96

rcargs96 Member

TJK - to me, it sounded huge, full, and robust. 35 watts will do that. But it's very articulate and the reverb sounds great. The master volume is also really nice, but with a good OD pedal it really cooks, digs it, and provides a tight, balanced distortion. Beautiful cleans.

Caveat - I moved into the Ambassador from a smaller, lower wattage amp (TopHat's Supreme 16) and I think I just prefer a bigger sounding amp. With that said, I played a British AC30 for quite a while as well as a '65 Bandmaster and, to me, the Ambassador is just superior.

Final note: every experience I've had with TopHat's has been excellent. The Ambassador exudes quality and it just feels right.

5. Jeffj

Jeffj Supporting Member

I have an Ambassador combo & like it tonally. However, this thing is so damn heavy that it is ridiculus. Possibly heavier than a Twin Reverb. For that reason, I don't take it out. Tophat craftsmanship is second to none & always toneful.......I just can't get past the weight.

6. rcargs96

rcargs96 Member

Definitely a backbreaker....not for the weak of heart (pun intended). 70lbs, I believe. Really not any worse than an AC30, though, and my friend's old MusicMan 4x10 is definitely heavier.

7. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

I haven't played the Ambassador (only heard it in person)but, own an Emplexador and have heard others. In my opinion - all Top Hat amps are extremely underatted. They are some of the finest amps around.

8. nnick

nnick Member

You must have bought the one EddieV had for sale on here for a while. I wanted to buy that but when I finally grew a pair and decided to go for it, it had just sold. I love Top Hat amps. I have a Club Royale and a King Royale. I believe the Ambass is around the same weight as the King Royale which comes in at just under 90lbs. Not fun to move around but worth it.

Enjoy the amp and PM me if you ever lose your mind and decide to sell it.

9. rcargs96

rcargs96 Member

Hey Nick - we all know the drill around here....the "amp I'll never sell" seems to always take a back seat to the frightful "GAS".

I'd love top try a King Royale sometime - what are your thoughts of the KR?

10. nnick

nnick Member

PM'd

11. openbar

openbar Silver Supporting Member

I have a King and NO WAY is it 90 pounds, more like 60-70. If it weighed 90, like a 135w twin, I wouldn't own it. :eek:

12. ROKY

ROKY Member

I have an Ambassador 100 head .

I run the TAD small bottle 6L6s and it's not as loud as you would
    expect -- breaks up earlier than a BF/SF Twin, actually. Very manageable
    volume-wise with the MV pulled back a notch .

The reverb is a thing of sheer beauty: all kinds of shades available with
    the mix and dwell controls. With the "FAT" switch on, it rocks with
    authority w/ humbuckers .

With single coils it gives a great bouncy feel to single notes and chords,
    and . . . that reverb ! :drink

13. HHB

HHB Member

IMO all Tophats are undervalued/appreciated, congrats on a great amp!

14. Atone

Atone Member

I've recently joined the TopHat ranks with an Ambassador 35 combo and have to agree that these are indeed tone machines. They've got a real warmth and depth to them more characteristic of a 100watt amp. My previous amps have always been purchased more for their overdrive/distortion side than clean, so this is a bit of a change. But this amp sounds wonderful with an overdrive pedal in front of it. So the best of both worlds? Maybe. Still, if you need an excuse to purchase more o/d pedals this takes away a bit of the guilt.

15. cr8z4life

cr8z4life Member

Definately under-rated.....And I think the ambassdor is one of his best! One of the best clean tones I have come across. I had the 35 watt and it had Fender cleans that were incredible and the reverb is the best I have ever heard. The Ambassador is the perfect platform for pedals......My friend uses one (the 50) in a ten piece band and it works perfectly to cover everything they do.