TopHat amp clips

Discussion in 'Gear Demo Videos & Sound Clips Archive' started by meterman, Aug 1, 2008.

1. meterman

meterman Member

Got a few clips of my '96 TopHat Embassy into a closed back 2x12 w 70th and Heritage G12H30s. This is a 35w amp running 4x6v6s in class A and a 5Y3 rectifier, it's a discontinued model very similar in layout to a King Royale but with the 6V6s maybe sonically closer to a Vanderbilt 33 or Ambassador 35....

I've been fooling with some new recording gear trying to figure out how to get decent guitar tones to tape. Just off the cuff guitar-aoke over backing tracks but what the hell, there's not many TopHat clips out there and it will be a while before I have any originals done so....

These are all into the simple Ch.1 of the Embassy, which is supposed to be voiced/based on a brown Fender amp and has just a single tone and volume. The two Strat clips were pretty low volume like 9-10:00, with a dirt pedal and Maxon AD900 analog delay. The semi-hollow and LP clips were just guitar>amp with the volume up around noon with a bit of delay from the Maxon or some reverb added in Cubase. The guitar is mixed pretty hot so you can hear the amp better, clams and all....:eek:

'81 Ibanez AS-50 semi-hollow straight in, reverb added in Cubase
    Thrill-is-gone-AS50

EJ Strat > Dyna Red w gain at 11:00 > Maxon AD900 analog delay
    Sco-ish-Strat-Dyna-Embassy

'78 Ibanez Performer bolt-neck LP copy > Maxon AD900
    Gospel-blues_w_LP

EJ Strat > Foxrox Hot Silicon Fuzz > Maxon AD900
    Come-Dancing-solo

2. BryanMatthews

BryanMatthews Member

gave the thrill is gone clip a listen and i damned loved it.

best thing was, you knew exactly when to STFU and let the backing earn its crust. thats why shred makes me want to puke , those guys just dont know when to stop playing and imo , they bore a listener senseless.

your clip had tone, feel, nice phrasing and note execution in abundance, post more clips like this any time you want to dude.

Bryan

3. ROKY

ROKY Member

I just got kicked in the head with tone .:phones

VERY, VERY, GOOD ! :drink

Where do I find one of these Embassys ?

4. meterman

meterman Member

thanks man you are way too kind! :)

5. meterman

meterman Member

LOL they are as rare as a hen's tooth I suppose! What do you think though, any current production TopHats in the same 'sonic ballpark'? I'm thinking the Vanderbilt33 with 6V6s might be fairly similar, with an extra dose of EF86 magic...

6. BryanMatthews

BryanMatthews Member

hey not at all, you can scour guitar sites and get an abundance of beedily bee ********, you dont come across clippage with taste, soul and tone very often. your clip was great buddy.