1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

TopHat Amps, in Europe?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by singular, Jan 30, 2008.

1. singular

singular Member

hey,
    Im just wondering if you guys would know if TopHat amps (club deluxe in particular) are available anywhere in Europe?

any info much appreciated, thank you!

singular.

:dude

2. tedwoods

tedwoods Member

3. singular

singular Member

thanks Ted, i saw that alright,none of them have the club deluxe but il email anyway asking about availibility.might be able to order it in.

4. tedwoods

tedwoods Member

Great, Top Hats are incredible amps!
    You can't go wrong with any of them.
    I'm an S16 fanatic myself...

Ted

5. singular

singular Member

cool!iv never played one but from the descriptions iv read it sounds like something i'd like very much!!
    how do they react to pedals?

6. tedwoods

tedwoods Member

They react to pedals real well.
    I must have tried a ton of them, all with great results.
    Ted

7. singular

singular Member

excellent,will need to sell my current amp first and hope i can find a dealer in Europe. How would the power supply work out would you know?as we're different voltage here.

8. tedwoods

tedwoods Member

The S16 has a 120/240V switch on the chassis...I don't know about the other models though.
    Ted

9. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

I have owned probably close to 200 amps over the years of all kinds of makes, shapes and sizes and TopHats are definitely on my very short list of best amps I have owned. Probably in the top 3. :)

10. samtheman

samtheman Member

11. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Silver Supporting Member

Club Deluxe = no longer made.

12. meterman

meterman Member

I like TopHats so much they're all I play anymore and my Club Deluxe might be my favorite. If you're looking for new, I'd contact Stu at Fat Sound Guitars, his shop is close to where Brian Gerhard and TopHat are located now, he is very knowledgeable about them and might even ship to Europe. I did hear a nasty rumor that the Club Deluxe may have been discontinued but I have not yet confirmed that for myself. They are also great values used, a Club Deluxe will go anywhere from $800-1200 used depending on age, condition and speakers....good luck!

13. singular

singular Member

thanks a lot for the information guys,very helpful!man i hope i can get my hands on one before they become scarce,really hope they're not discontinued.
    just sent an email to godlyd asking about availibility,i know they've none on their site but they might be abe to get one in.
    another question,slightly OT,have any of you shipped an amp?how did you package it?im having a small bit of trouble selling my twin reverb custom 15 here.

14. redtoploader

redtoploader Member

They dont make the club deluxe anymore- thats because it's called the super deluxe now. All the capabilities of the club deluxe, with the added benefit of being able to use 6l6's as well. Same amp, just more versatilty. I think it might be able to take el34s too, but dont remember for sure, you'd have to ask.

15. meterman

meterman Member

Actually the Super Deluxe has slightly bigger transformers and a slightly different EQ than the Club Deluxe, and while it will run on 6V6s and EL34s it is optimized for 6L6s. The Club Deluxe used smaller trannies for 20w output and optimized for 6V6s. I've talked to Brian a couple of times about his 6V6 amps and he said that while there is a group of guys who favor them (myself included) they just don't sell like his other amps do, especially the EL84-based Club Royale, if I had to guess I'd say this is why.....on the other hand, if the CD is indeed discontinued, then for lower wattage a Club Royale or Supreme 16, or for slightly higher wattage a Super Deluxe or Vanderbilt 33, would fit the bill nicely :)

16. singular

singular Member

also,i know the tubes are different between the royale and the deluxe,but would anyone care to expand on the differences? Fat Sound Guitars seem to charge quite a bit more than musictoyz for them,still,could be worth it.
    i just realised i could have the amp shipped to my brothers in chicago and have them ship it here. :D

EDIT:musictoyz still seem to have the club deluxe in stock on their site,would prob need to act fast though.

17. meterman

meterman Member

Check out the forums at www.tophatamps.com/forum, there is lots of good info there. I've had a Club Royale (EL84) and Club Deluxe side by side and the differences are subtle, the 6V6s giving the CD more bottom end and very smooth breakup, the EL84s having less bottom and more midrange snarl when pushed. Both sound great and are more similar than different, as is the Super Deluxe which is louder and has the big lows and bright top of the 6L6s but still in the same "Club Series" tonal family....There is a dealer in the Chicago area, Make n' Music I think?

18. singular

singular Member

cool,thank you! the Norwegian dealer replied to me there so im waiting on prices.the club deluxe sounds more like my thing,or the super deluxe.
    how much do the super deluxes go for over there?

19. meterman

meterman Member

The Super Deluxe is a great amp, I owned #11 and only sold it b/c I had a Club Deluxe and Emplexador as well and wasn't using the SD as much. I think they are probably in the $1700 range new? I also know there have been some upgrades to the SD since I owned one and they have received great reviews in Guitar Player magazine among other places....

20. singular

singular Member

i think il go for either club deluxe or super deluxe, 1x12.
    what other kind of amp is the SD comparable to?
    i cant wait to get it all sorted and have one! godlyd and brian at tophat have been great with replying to emails & questions etc.super stuff!