Tophat clips?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by silencer eleven, Jun 29, 2005.

1. silencer eleven

silencer eleven Member

anybody know where i can find some?

evan

2. silencer eleven

silencer eleven Member

3. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

http://music.mp3lizard.com/petethorn/

go here, download "12ax7 comparison", that's me popping a bunch of different 12ax7's into V1 of my 50w Emplexador, on "vintage" and "Modern" settings... gives you a pretty solid example of that amp's tone...

4. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

Saw Switchfoot in concert this week and though it's a small 850 person club I was in the back and not in the gear-chasing mode I 'm normally in . RARE OCCASION.. ANyway, they used Tophats this time with their ORange.. Last time it was Vox

ERIC

5. silencer eleven

silencer eleven Member

sweet nectar man!!!! that emplaxdor is absolutely incredible!!! how are the clean tones on that baby?

evan

6. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

7. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

I can try an E-mail you a tune on our album that was done entirely with my Club Royale 1X12 and a ported 1X12.
    One track is a strat the other is a mahoganey P-90 gitter.

8. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

Clean tones... set on the jtm45-ish front end setting, ("Fat").. and with the master all the way up, you can bring up the preamp gain slowly to taste and it basically reaacts like you would expect a 50w Marshall to... some good clean tones to be had for sure, and it reacts nicely to volume changes on your guitar.

9. dehughes

dehughes Member

Peter,

Dude, your song clips are great, man....wow....loved them. Are they your songs? You singing? I'm not sure what your gear was, but who cares....the recordings are really kick ass and punchy.....in your face. Loved them.

For those curious, check out the Media page at http://peterthorn.com/ for some nice recordings.

david

10. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

Thanks, dude... not me singing, the singer is Murray Yates.. those songs are my old band Forty Foot Echo. The album is available on Itunes, and the CD is still in most stores... we had a deal on Hollywood Records a couple years ago.... didn't pan out past one album, but I think we made a really good kickass rock CD...

thanks for noticing!

11. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

Oh- the gear on he album- Les Paul Classic and an SG, and the amps were a Dual Recto, my Emplexador, a VHT 50 watt head, and my 66 Bassman for cleaner stuff (like the intro on "Born Yesterday")... Royer 121 and SM57 mics blended about 50/50 were a big component of the guitar sound, as was the Tom Lord-Alge mix :)

the tight chord stabs in the verse of "Tomorrow" are the Emplex and the VHT together, with a wah cocked halfway on on one of the amps (can't remember which one), that's probably my favorite sound on the album...

12. kingsxman

kingsxman Silver Supporting Member

Wow. Those clips are awesome! it really does a great job showing the difference in the tubes. I have been a big propenent of the GT12ax7ms. After listening to this...it shows just how good the real mullards are. But I thought that the GT's were the best of the non mullard bunch. (although the Bugle boys were really good too. )

13. Probos

Probos Gold Supporting Member

Very cool,...the Emplexador sounds awesome. I liked the RFT the best, then the real Mullard and a tie for third between the JJ and the Bugle Boy. Thought the Mullard RI sounded kinda dull. What kinda of cab and speakers do you run the Emplaxador into?

14. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

there used to be some great clips at www.amazingtone.com but it looks like he's no longer a dealer for TopHat??

15. tlester

tlester Member

Does anyone hava a clue what Peter used on that "suhr2" clip. The crunchy tones are just perfect in my book.

-Tom