TopHat Club Deluxe

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by riffmeister, Sep 30, 2006.

1. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

I played a gig last night with the rock fusion trio (guitar/keys/drums) using an early Club Deluxe 1x12 (from 97.....vol/tone/cut model). s/s/h Suhr -> Voodoo Labs Analog Chorus -> Crybaby wah -> Fulltone II -> amp. The amp was very lightly mic'd through the PA. I left the Fulldrive on the whole night, barely used the chorus pedal, used the wah for some rhythym parts and for some leads.

Absolutely FABULOUS tones from this setup! So many shades of grind by choosing the pickup and working the guitar's vol & tone controls!!! What a GEM of an amp! It has a nice top end sparkle and meaty mids with great touch sensitivity! Really inspiring greasy grind tones with the single coils, and great harmonic feedback using the humbucker....with an EVH flair to it using the whammy bar. The light mic'ing added a 'big amp' aspect to the sound.

Our setlist included tunes from Jeff Beck, the Police, ELP, Hendrix, Tommy Emmanuel, John Scofield, Bob James, Jeff Lorber, Joe Sample, Dave Grusin, the Beatles, Nora Jones, etc. FUN evening!! Great amp!!!

2. JackButler

JackButler Supporting Member

Cool Riff! A few weeks after I got my 2000 CD 2-12", I wa sblown away at a gig! I ran Nash Strat>Budda wah>Eternity> Klon>amp, and it was tonally delicious! Everyone kept telling me how great that amp sounded!

3. telecat

telecat Member

I have a 2000 model CD 112 that is just a brilliant amp. Mine needs to be run rather loud before it starts sounding good. Riff, what speaker do you have? I have the G12H and its can get a little harsh till it gets cranked.

t

4. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

i have a 01' (i think) CD and its a great amp...love the cranked tones. mine has a bluedog in it, and it can sound a ittle "woofy" sometimes, but if i run the cut all the way off, and turn the treble 3/4 up w/ the fat switch engaged (vol most of the way up, and master set to liking...) it sounds great w/ a strat or tele at that setting...also, i love the look of this little amp (burgundy/wheat-gold grill) it just looks so awesome and classy!

5. riffmeister

Mine came with a V30........outta there.......and in with a Matchless 'lightly doped' G12H. I can get great sounds at all volumes, depending on how it is dialed in......gotta use the cut control!

edit: I'm now using a Heritage H in that amp.

6. Zuper

Zuper Supporting Member

Nice Pics, Riff! Stylin'!

I play in a Rock/Fusion Trio, too. Good stuff.

7. telecat

telecat Member

Here is mine. It came with a Jensen. I called TH and they recommended a G12H so I went with that. I have a FDII also and like it with the THCD. Do you use the comp cut mode with yours? I've also been using a Bad Monkey too...

[​IMG]

8. riffmeister

I use the FDII with the compression on (knob pressed down, not up). I like the added compression for lead work. Just roll back on the guitar volume and it cleans up very nicely.

9. Free

Free Member

Don't I know it too, Riffmeister! There is something very special about the Tophat "Club Deluxe" and the 1x12" is a really pure and direct sound with plenty of body, especially with the 11" deep cab on recent cabs. It is such a dynamic sounding amp. I play mine with a "greenback" for that Marshall-like midrange.

Funny story - about two weeks ago I had a show and we were all sound-checking. After giving the sound-man my basic guitar sound (overdriven and meaty with plenty of gain for leads without a pedal) getting levels he said "OK - now clean channel please"... I simply hit the guitar with a light touch - not even touching the guitar volume and it came out near pristinely clean and clear. He quickly said "thank you" - I just had to laugh to myself

10. Free

Free Member

I know what you mean about the G12H 30 having a tendancy to get harsh. I put one in my "Club Deluxe" for about 30 minutes and quickly had to put my G12M greenback back in. I couldn't take it. I know there are some compromises one has to deal with using a single greenback in a combo, but to me it's worth it, because the basic tone of that speaker is midrange heaven with a wonderful bite that is never piercing.

11. riffmeister

here's a song with the Club Deluxe recorded live in the studio with my band (keys-guitar-drums).

kind of smooth-jazzy.

http://media.putfile.com/Ju-Ju-Charles-Davis-Quartet

my setup is s/s/h Strat-type Suhr -> Maxon delay -> Fulldrive2 -> Club Deluxe 1x12 (early vol/tone/cut model).

12. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

I had a Club Deluxe for a few weeks, had a Jensen in it that was horrible, sold it to a guy in Texas and kept my Royale.

I really love a heritage greenback inn that amp too, as Free said it is a trade off but it works so well.
    Now I have a heritage G12-65 in there and that works VERY well too.

Good stuff Riff!!

13. HHB

HHB Member

sounds great, I'm a new Tophat owner and LOVE what I'm getting out of my old style Club Royale 112( heritage greenback ) the Tophats are the **** IMO

14. smallcrap

smallcrap Member

I recently tried my 06 Club Royale through a new THD Longhorn/Vintage 2x12....holy wow...awesome.

Dying to check out a new Club Deluxe but the wallet won't take it right now.

15. riffmeister

this one has a bit more 'dense' mix......the CD is used for the guitar solo in the middle of the song.

http://media.putfile.com/Arena-57

a bit more 'rawk' than the smooth jazzy stuff above, too! :D

16. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

Hmm, wonder what a Gold would sound like in the deep 1-12 cab.

M.E.

17. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

I tried a gold in my Club Royale and didn't like it at all, I can't take the scooped mid thing. YMMV

18. Tallhorses

Tallhorses Member

My Club deluxe gets more use than any amp I've ever owned. Awesome tone, light and compact, plenty of crunch and great cleans. I use my Supra Trem in a few tunes but mostly I'm using the BOR and Keeley BD-2 with a tele. I've gigged with a tuner, BOR, Tele and CD and it sounded great!

19. mcgriff420

mcgriff420 Member

yep I liked the portability of my club but the amp always sounded grainy to me, I chalked it up the 6v6's but I never tried tube swapping. For fun I hooked it up to an old mesa 412 with blackshadow's, that was some serious grind.

+1 for the fulldrive/club setup. Not my fav pedal but it sounded good together