TopHat Club Royale question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Rusty G., Sep 30, 2005.

1. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

I've noticed a lot lately about the Marshall 18 watt clones. I've also noticed the new handwired Marshall 1974 combos and Marshall 2061 Heads. The 18 watt amps all use EL84's in their power sections. . .some with solid state rectifiers and some with tube rectifiers. . .Anyway, the question I have is about the TopHat Club Royale. Does the Club Royale sound similar to the Marshall 18 watt amp, or any of the various clones. I'm still looking for an amp that sounds like a Marshall that's great for my Les Paul. I've got a Matchless DC30, and find that it's better with single coil pickups. I'm looking for something tonally different, Marshall(y), that'll sit in the mix with the Matchless amp (for recording mainly).

Can anybody give me any advice here?

Thanks,

2. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

divided by 13 rsa 23 might be one to check out.

3. JDW3

JDW3 Member

I own many amps and my LP through my '99 SS rect CR is the best tone I've had. Just enough power to get over the drummer, and in doing so just rages. Actually more than enough power, but the tone just gets better as the volume goes up, so that's my story!!

My '67 SG Standard has the LP beat in tone with the CR. Just not as versatile. Damn, what a monster sound! It is true that the amp sounds better as time goes on. I would seriously equate the tone with some heavy Marshall snarly tones; very crunchy w/ the el-84s.

4. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

I have had my CR for at least 5 years now and it is fantastic.

I am no amp guru but I think the pre-amp is a bit different from a Marshall 18 watt. The transformers play a huge role too.

Brian builds a REALLY good amp. Even other amp manufacturers have admired his work, it is top shelf stuff.

5. illinimax

illinimax Gold Supporting Member

My CR compliments my DC30 quite well. The 18w Marshalls are a different animal to my ears than the CR. With a little tweaking it can cop the 18w a bit, but the CR sounds more Vox to me.

6. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

Thanks for the help guys. I'm really jonesing bad for an 18 watt Marshall and have seen a couple of CR's on ebay lately for about $1200 to $1700. I know a lot of people here are really high on the TopHat tone and was hoping it would be more marshally than voxy.

Thanks once again.

7. lgehrig4

lgehrig4 Silver Supporting Member

Click on or this link. There is a sound clip for a Club Royale, Club Deluxe and three for the Emplexador. For some reason you can't find this straight through the web site. I just did a search for "emplexador clip" and it is the first choice.

http://amazingtone.com/generic4.html

Jeff

8. meterman

meterman Member

Yeah the TH Club Series amps have a preamp section taken from the King Royale, which is based on an AC30. But they are very versatile, and I think get somewhat into Marshall territory with the mids cranked. Different animal though, really it's own unique sound and a damn good one at that! BTW I have a Club Deluxe, Super Deluxe and Emplex, not too familiar with the CR.

9. JDW3

JDW3 Member

Those sound clips are very tame, to my ears. Strat being used instead of Gibson. Wish I could post a clip of an SG; much thicker and aggressive.

10. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Silver Supporting Member

I have owned five Club Royales; four 2x12 versions and a deep cab 1x12. The CR is my favorite amp of all time.

The CR definitely has its own vibe, and each era's CR sounds a bit different from the other's. As an example, the narrow cabinet 2x12 tube rectified CR w/MV sounds a bit different than the 2x12 narrow cab with ss recto, etc.

If you e.q. the CR correctly, you can most certainly get a Marshallesque growl. However, I don't believe the CR mimics - or does a classic imitation of - an 18 watter. I have only hear the 18 watt re-issues though, so I may be a bit off base here.

In the end, the CR is a great 18 watt Vox-to-Marshall sounding amp with a beautiful British vibe. It is much more versatile than a one-trick pony.

11. fiftywatt

fiftywatt Member

Totally agree with the above. My '98 CR 112 combo has a great mix of Voxy and Marshall tones. I have an Emi Wizard in mine. With the right pedal, it definitely can do the baby modded Marshall thing for sure. It is one of THE best amps I've ever owned. Its not loud enough for all situations, but the tone and touch response are unsurpassed in my experience.

12. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

The CR can be dialed in for more Voxy tones and more Marshally tones. Turn the treble control down and mid control up, and you've got some great Marshally tones. Turn the treble control up (which, after about 1 oclock, doesn't increase brightness so much as it cuts out low mids) and you've got great Voxy tones. It is not an 18W Marshall clone...........I think it is Better! ;) Nice touch responsive crunch tones from this amp. It's a definite keeper. And it sounds great with a humbucker guitar like a Les Paul.

13. JDW3

JDW3 Member

What tubes and settings are you guys using?

I'm using the old RCA pulls again as my JJ's were only good for a weekend.

My settings are:

Vol- 3 o'clock

Treble- 9:00

Mid-2/3:00

Bass-3:00

Cut-2:00

Master Vol- 6 to 8 if possible

These are basically what I end up at, when gigging. Doing the classic rock covers. Pretty dirty, but not to where it's taking away from the songs.

14. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

I did a lot of NOS'ing with my CR. V1 is a crucial tube in that amp, again my ears like a Tele or Mullard.

I also like the GE EL-84's which are very good and cheap compared to Mullard.

Although the biggest change I did to that amp recently was a Heritage G12M.