• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Tophat Emplexador MK II Video Clip

wedewer

I post this with hesitation because my playing is god awful in this clip. Just went down and did a one take, no warm up, to see what the amp sounded like on the camera. But this forum is "amps and cabs" not "great playing", so I figured I would give people a chance to hear this amp.

I am playing it on the modern mode, with the gain around 3 O' clock, fat switch off, boost off. NO pedals. Straight it. Les Paul has skatterbrane pups.

I think the amp sounds pretty "cranked plexi" like. To me, nice and woody. Not too bright. Not too different from my cantus cranked with the UA. I am sure some will disagree.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDhZ6DVmnac

CAC

I think it sounds killer. Would love to hear more, especially chords and riffs. Great playing too!!!

wedewer

Cool playing.

It sounds a bit more modern than my ptp JMP's. What does that setting do?
The vintage setting has a lot less gain. A lot more like a vintage marshall. I haven't tried cranking the master to see how that effects it. The cleans are fantastic in the vintage setting. With my strat that has custom shop 69's it is fantastic.

The one thing that I love about this amp is how great it cleans up with the volume knob on the guitar. Better than any marshall type amp with a master volume that I have ever played. Way better than my Jubilee or Shiva.

meterman

Great amp! I have a '97 model and have been real curious about the MkII, sounds sweet....

The Modern voicing adds an additional tube gain stage (1/2 of a 12AX7 IIRC) for more preamp saturation. The Vintage channel sounds amazing clean but also gets some great crunch happening with the MV up above about 1:00....

spyeman

I really appreciate the vid, would you do another and show it with higher gain, boost on and off, modern and vintage, etc?....give it an overall workout so us not Tophat owners can get Tophat gas????? How much more gain does it have to give after 3?

Trending Topics