1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Tophat Emplexador MKII content

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by wedewer, Feb 16, 2009.

1. wedewer

wedewer Supporting Member

I was fortunate enough to purchase a tophat emplexador mkII of papple from TGP today. Super nice guy. I am not saying this because I now own one, but because I believe it to be true. This has got to be one of the single greatest amplifiers I have been fortunate enough to play through. I cannot believe how versatile this thing is. Between the vintage/modern switch, the fat/treble, and the normal switch this thing you can dial any marshall tone from clean jtm45 to modded jcm 800. Its incredibly warm, even on the modern setting. Not that brittle jcm800 thing going on. I own a marshall jubilee, jcm800 2204, bogner shiva, and a straub cantus and I swear this amp can get anyone of those tones. If you haven't tried one of these out yet, I highly encourage you to do so. You won't be disappointed. I can't believe more rock guys are not playing these amps.

2. elektroglide

elektroglide Member

just a great amp, very broad range of organic chewy sounds covering several decades of el34 goodness. likes good greenbacks, a winner from the first note. hard to get a weak sound from it. the real deal, very pleasing...

3. stratton

stratton Member

Yep, and while your at it, you might as well try some G12H30s too.

I had a BLAST with a Tele tuned to Eb and a Tube Screamer today. Had to force myself to stop. :RoCkIn

4. ahab

ahab Member

I remember when I bought my Tophat I felt obligated to share with everyone how amazing these amps are. I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying yours.

5. Papple

Papple Supporting Member

Yo Rob,

Thanks for the kudos. I'm glad you're liking the Emplexador. When you grow tired of it just play one of your other fine pieces and then you can come back to it and see what you were missing.

Enjoy it, just knowing it went to somebody who will use it is a comforting thought. Nice meeting you.

Best,
    George

6. gi doc

gi doc Member

How does it compare to the Germino Club 40??? anybody know???? I've heard nothing but good things about both of those amps.

7. wedewer

I have never played a Club 40, but I have some other initial impressions. This thing has great cleans. As good, maybe even warmer than my Shiva.

The boost switch is great. Not a solo boost but a different gain stage. In vintage mode with a strat on neck pickup is tone heaven.

The vintage mode is really really good. Turn up the gain and get a cranked plexi. The fat switch is very nice too. No muddy mush when you flip it on.

In the modern mode, I can get sounds equal to the Shiva dirty channel and similar to my Jubilee as well. Turn on the boost switch and get into that modded marshall tone.

I don't think I ever heard an amp that can go from jtm45 clean to modded marshall tones and do all the tones in between well. Sorry if I am pissing all over myself and sound like a giddy school girl, but quite frankly, I am giddy.

Anyone else out there own one and can expand on my thoughts?

8. Oz Hofstatter

Oz Hofstatter Gold Supporting Member

Congrats for the Emplexador.
    I bought one from Cliff/DAG. Great guy! Brian from Top Hat has a very nice customer support too. I always send e-mail to him and the answers are fast.
    Top Hat Emplexador MKII = Classic Rock All the Way!!!! Great, great, great amp.
    Cheers,
    Oz

9. Tonemeister69

Tonemeister69 Member

I think the price point of these amps just puts them a little out of reach for most people, especially considering it is still a 1 channel amp.

10. skoora

skoora Member

I think it's a great amp but not for $3K. The vintage setting doesn't have enough bite for me to sound like a cranked plexi. I prefered lower gain settings on the modern voice to get that. I would love to get to play a King Royale. Unfortunately I just think the Tophats in general just get too crazy on the price. I've heard too many old Marshalls that sound as good or better for half the price. This is not to knock Tophat as I think their really nice amps but just sayin'. We're not all lawyers, doctors or investment guys/gals out here.

11. wedewer

I am just a house painter, so trust me, the reason I didn't pick one up sooner was the 2700.00 price tag. Got this one for 1500.00 in mint condition. So at 1500.00 I think its a steal.

12. Teh RedWizard

Teh RedWizard Supporting Member

Funny how folks don't bitch about forking over $3K for a Matchless or Bad Cat(in fact,they seem quite happy to do so),but yes it's too much to pay for any amp if your intent is to actually PLAY.Maybe it's different for a wealthy corksniffer who just wants a hip,new 'toy'.TH's tend to go much cheaper than you'd expect on the used market though. Congratulations on finding an amp you're so pleased with at a reachable price.

13. Tonemeister69

Tonemeister69 Member

Well, that's a good score then. I'm happy for you. I'm sure if I was looking at this amp and that deal came up I would have done the same thing.

Comparing the brand new price, however, to something of similar function/quality leaves me wondering why they are so expensive.

Anyway, its not all about $$

Enjoy your amp mate! :band

14. ROKY

ROKY Member

Right, on ..that is an EXCELLENT price for that amp !

I'm not rich either, man and I've had to buy all my TopHats on the
    used market, as well - but would love to have been able to buy
    new to help the builder.

I have an earlier Emplexador and as great as it sounds I trust the
    latest version is really in a class of its own .

Brian continues to refine his game; no doubt about it .

15. jazzwannabe

jazzwannabe Supporting Member

If I were ever gonna go back to overdriven amp/humbucker sounds, the Emplexador is the amp I would get, no hesitation. I played one of the earlier versions several years ago and was simply blown away, but the price was well out of my reach. Awesome amp.

16. skoora

skoora Member

Great find. It was the same for me on the Tweed Twin I got. Everytime I played one I was in a state knowing I could never afford it but then a used one on CL came up for much less and I had just sold my JMP so it was game on. For $1500 I would be all over an Emplex II as well.

17. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

Love them. I like the cosmetics of the old style amp beter. great, great amps. Yes they do sound amazing with H30s.

18. nnick

nnick Member

Nice amp Wedewer!! I talked to George a little while back about that amp but I couldn't afford it at the time. It would have been a great addition to my Club Royale and King Royale.

Enjoy!

-Nick

19. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

[HARD-CORE SPAM]
    I happen to know tonegurus has a used one for sale. I just happen to know it, y'know?
    [/HARD-CORE SPAM]

20. SReynolds

SReynolds Supporting Member

The Emplexador II is a top notch amp. Cliff/DAG sure likes em as well.