TopHat Emplexador -- Wow

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Probos, Jul 25, 2005.

1. Probos

Probos Gold Supporting Member

Traded my Budda SD30 for a TopHat Emplexador straight up. Only thing I had heard was some clips from a guy here on TGP and I thought they sounded awesome,.....but I was still a bit like "I sure hope I like it". Well, seriously,...this may be one of the coolest and best sounding amps I've ever owned. All the vintage Marshall tones are there, inbetween tones are just sick, but what really surprised me was the amount of gain that it can achieve. I received it on Friday and only plugged it in for about 5 mins to make sure it was worked, low volume test only and it sounded great. So, I took it to the studio our bands recording at (bass players basement :D) this past Saturday and really got to open it up. We ended up using it for probably 75% of the tracks, I did some with it and the other guitar player used it exclusively (he normally uses his Marshall TSL). Most of the stuff we did was pretty heavy, hard rock **** and it had no problem punching through.

I was recording a clip earlier, but my neighborhood took a power hit and I lost the clip,...didn't save it on time. So I'll try to post a clip soon. Anyway,...this amp rocks hard, and it's probably the classest looking amp I've ever owned:

[​IMG]

2. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Yup. I've been saying this for 5 years.

3. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

resistance is futile...

4. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

please do post clips

5. Probos

I gotta agree with you.

6. Stu/Fat Sound

Stu/Fat Sound Member

Isn't that a killer amp? Nearly 9 years ago I was at the winter NAMM show walking around checking out new amps and I ran in to Brian in the Top Hat booth. usually at the NAMM shows you really can't get a sense of what an amp will do. Too much noise and too many dB restrictions, but I plugged in to an Emplexador and was amazed at how great it sounded and felt even at low volumes. I walked around the show for a few hours, but kept feeling *pulled* back to the TH booth...ended up placing an opening order with Brian that same day. The Emplexador is what turned me on to the TH amps, but they all sound fantastic.

Brian does a great job. His amps sound amazing, have some of the best master volumes in the business and we never have problems with them.

Good score...enjoy!:dude

7. Probos

Thanks Stu. I did like my Budda,...but the tone from this is more up my ally. I've heard only stellar things about Brian. Only thing that would make it better is to have the vintage and modern voicings on independent channels, each with their own Gain knobs so that you could footswitch them on the fly. :dude But that's just me,...I'm so used to multi-channel amps. Actually, the simplicity of the Emplex is another thing that makes it cool as hell.

8. riffmeister

Brian has been working on a dual channel Emplex for a while. Actually, Blonde Bassman on ch 1 and hot-rodded Marshall on ch 2. Not sure where he is with this new design......he's been through alot of life changes recently.......

Stu might know, though, seeinz how they are next door neighbors now...... ;)

9. Stu/Fat Sound

Stu/Fat Sound Member

Probos......
    I agree that the same dual mode sounds in an actual channel switching, two channel amp with independant tone and volume controls would be fantastic. I can tell you though that Brian's philosophy of amp building would probably never allow him to build one this way.
    I was just sitting down with him here at my shop last Friday talking about amp construction etc....and he feels, as do I, that to build an amp via the point-to-point handwired method you have to keep the circuit fairly simple. Otherwise the amps become cost prohibitive and more prone to failure.
    So.....unless he starts building some Budda style high-end PCB amps a channel switching Emplex will most likely never happen.

Revel in the simplicity....you will get use to it!

:)

10. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Silver Supporting Member

Used to own a 50w Emplex (amongst the zillion TopHat amps I have owned). It is/was a killer rig - especially with a closed back TH 2x12 cab.

Congrats man - you'll dig the amp even more, as you use it over time.

11. jimmyj

jimmyj Member

How true.
    I've really gotten spoiled by the simplicity of my Club Deluxe.

12. trisonic

trisonic Member

One of my favourite British sounding amps, I like the Vintage voicing (naturally, I'm f#@king vintage). Master works great - if all Masters were this good I'd have all Master amps.
    Responds to guitar volume knob well (who need two channels - frankly I'm too old for tap-dancing). Built well, which is why they are not cheap.

I'm a big fan of JTM45's from the sixties but would like to own one of these. Good amp very underrated on here.

Is Brian back to speed, Stu?

Best, Pete.

13. Probos

You're right, the simplicity is awesome. And every setting on this amp sounds great,....it doesn't matter where you turn the knobs. It's all usable. Never owned an amp that could do that until this one.

14. kingsxman

kingsxman Silver Supporting Member

I just bought a Budda SD30. How would you say the tones are different? My Budda actually was damaged in shipping and is back for repair so I havent had any chance to really listen to it yet.

Just curious as to what is better.

15. Probos

They're actually quite a bit different. The Budda is darker, and smoother in character,....more compressed but in a good way. The Emplexador is more open, brighter and crunchy,...but it's fat and can be warm depending on how you set it. AC/DC and Black Crowes to heavier modded Marshall tones that OWN! :dude

16. ahab

ahab Member

I feel exactly the same about my Club Royal combo. Greatest amp I have ever owned/played!

-ahab

17. riffmeister

As long as this is turning into a TopHat love fest.....Club Royale, Club Deluxe, Super Deluxe are all in my harem. And they all get used in the bands I play in on a regular basis. Super fantastic stufff, these TopHats!

18. Rockin J

Rockin J Member

I have a super deluxe and love it. I think Brian should come up with a simple bassman style amp that would drip old style tone and be reasonably priced. Thats all I ask. No channel switching or reverb or any other bells and whistles. If you build it they will come (original quote :D )

19. dehughes

dehughes Member

LOL. Ain't that the truth. :)

david

20. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Silver Supporting Member

Riff - you use TopHats? Since when? :D