TopHat Love in Guitar Player...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by rawkguitarist, Nov 5, 2005.

1. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

For all you guy's that wish a big mag would review one of our beloved amps.... December 2005 issue reviews a Super Deluxe! It's a great review, even without any advertising.

I know in the grand scheme it really doesn't matter, but its still kinda cool.

:RoCkIn

2. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

It is a great review.......of a great sounding amp.

I've had my Super Deluxe for 2 years now......still luvin it!! :dude

3. Brion

Brion Supporting Member

Riff,
    How is the SD at home volumes? Does it need to be cranked to sound it's best or does it sound decent at less than break the eardrum volumes? I've been thinking about a 2x12 version.

4. riffmeister

like any good tube amp, the volume has got to be up to get the mojo working. I also have a new Club Deluxe with tube recto....with a 5Y3 rectifier it sounds pretty darn good at lower volumes. but still, things get more interesting as the volume is increased. (Brion, btw, the new CD is alot different than s/n 5 CD that you had)

5. riffmeister

P.S. However, I do not agree with the GP reviewer that the SD sounds best with the Master Vol dimed.......with mine, the sweet spot on the MV is ~2-3 oclock......preamp vol 1-5 oclock.

6. Brion

Brion Supporting Member

Wow, with those settings I bet the SD is pretty loud. I'd probably go for the Royale before the Deluxe unless I could play both amps side by side. The old CD I had was a cool amp, but not what I was looking for at the time. I never really bash that old amp, but I do mention that I didn't like it from time to time just to keep things honest.
    I need to try some diferent tubes in my Z28 to see if it stays or goes. If it goes Top Hat is my first choice of my next amp.

7. riffmeister

I had a Z28 1x12 for a while........*definitely* a very cool amp, but I found that it needed to be played at a healthy volume to sound it's best, and with no MV, pretty healthy volume = loud.

I'm tellin you, this new CD I have sounds great at lower and higher volume levels.....with 5Y3 rectifier it really does the clean to crunch very well from the guitar's volume knob.

8. Brion

Brion Supporting Member

The Z28 is not too loud for me to crank. How does the Super deluxe compare to it volume wise?

I believe you that the new CD is great, I'll have to try one if I can.

9. riffmeister

If the Z is not too loud for you, then the SD is in your ballpark, esp with the MV.

10. Rockin J

Rockin J Member

I have'nt got the current GP magazine yet but I have had the Super Deluxe for a year now. I play rather quietly at home only. The amp sounds great at low volume and is fantastic with any OD pedal I have tried, (I have 16 OD's right now :eek: ) The amp is smooth with pedals, unlike my Deluxe Reverb which is very finicky about pedals.

11. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Silver Supporting Member

You guys and your TopHat amps..........:D

12. meterman

meterman Member

Just read the review yesterday....yowza!!!! BG must be grinning ear to ear. I have to say I agree with everything the guy said, except the part about running the MV full out. Sounds great that way but I like to use boost/OD/fuzz pedals with a cleaner "edge of dirt" base tone and find that the sweet spot in the SD for me happens with both volumes around 2:00 or slightly above. I've been digging a 12AX7 in V1 lately but now I want to go back and listen to the stock AY7....

I don't think the SD is too loud for home use, though I do tend to use my Club Deluxe 1x12 more for practices and stuff as a grab n' go. The SD is perfect for club gigs and even outdoor stuff, it's got a fat and very authoritative tone that really cuts through a mix well and a good MV. And I love how compact and relatively lightweight it is.

Anyway, very cool to see one of my favorite amps finally getting some widespread recognition, I hope it gives Brian's business a much-deserved boost. Very nice description of the way it combines elements of Fender, Vox and Marshall, and I really loved the finish on the test amp, beautiful combination of colors....

13. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

Made me wish I had more money... that amp looks great.

14. No Code 5

No Code 5 Member

other Top Hat dealings...

I played a nice LP through my KR at rehearsal... great stuff.

Channels bridged... fat switch

channel one volume at 12, tone around 1

channel two volume cranked, master around 11, cut off, eq'd with a bit more bass....

good stuff. really a good time.

oh yeah, it was pretty loud too, but nothing out of line with typical rock n roll music.

15. riffmeister

So one might say you've OD'd on OD's. :D

16. Rockin J

Rockin J Member

You gotta admit. Changing your tone with pedals is much cheaper than changing your tone with amps :)

I better not count my delay pedals :eek:

17. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

I'm a fan of multiple dirt boxes too.

2 Lovepedal Eternities
    Boss SD-1 Modded to sound like a Fulldrive
    BYOC 808 Clone, modded for cleaner, louder boost
    Menatone KOTB
    Zvex SHO
    Prescription Rx Overdriver
    Keeley RAT
    Tonebone Classic

Yes I like every one of them with my TopHat;)