tophat super 33

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by parkhill, Feb 6, 2012.

1. parkhill

parkhill Member

Does anyone own or at least have experience playing one of these? I'm interested based on specs but don't live anywhere that I can check one out. I found a good demo of the tophat super fat deluxe on youtube. It seems like the Super 33 began life as a super fat deluxe. The output section is identical. The preamp section is quite different on the 33 though. So for anyone who is playing a 33, should I expect it to sound a lot like the super fat deluxe demo? Way different? I'd love to just get your general thoughts on the amp as well.

2. peanutavalon

peanutavalon Supporting Member

me too...somebody talk.

3. jsboswell

jsboswell Supporting Member

I have owned one since it was released - in fact, I think mine was the first non-prototype of the model. It's an absolutely phenomenal amp, and I wrote a pretty extensive review of it somewhere on TGP (I think it's in the thread "TopHat Love". If you don't find it there, I believe I also copied it to Fat Sound Guitars, and I think it still appears on their website. If you don't find it in either of those locations, feel free to pm me and we can discuss the amp further.

4. parkhill

parkhill Member

Thanks jsboswell. I think I have read that review actually. I appreciate it.

The only audio I have been able to find on the amp is a live show from the Connells. It's on youtube and the link is below. There are 7 songs. My understanding is that the shop manager at Fat Sound Guitars plays for them and uses a Super 33. The show was just over a year ago so I think he was using it by then. The recording quality on the videos isn't the best but you can get an idea anyway. If I'm not mistaken you can see the Super 33 on the right side of the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOLdWMu8dl8&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL402D8208B17A881C

5. jcat5503

jcat5503 Member

Any other information on the Super 33?? I'd love to see and actual demo of one

6. urlkonig

urlkonig Supporting Member

Fat Sound just posted a couple of clean-ish clips, with the promise of "Higher gain Strat Rhythm and Collings, dual humbucker, City Limits Rhythm/Lead" to be posted soon.

7. parkhill

parkhill Member

8. ROKY

ROKY Member

Finally,,, a few clips of the 33 .

I'd really prefer to hear the gainier tones it's capable of, but that's a start.