1. During the first week of August 2020, we'll be upgrading the software TGP runs on to the currently available up-to-date version. The software version is a significant upgrade, so there will be some downtime as we do the work under the hood. We've got a team of professionals, including the software development company assisting the process. We've conducted substantial tests using backups of the current forum to ensure a smooth and successful upgrade. We've gone to great lengths on the design of the theme (aka 'skin' or look and feel) of the forum to offer a better user experience for members and visitors. The default theme will be new, yet clearly influenced by the classic TGP look. We will have a dark version of that also easily selectable. Also available will be a "Classic TGP" theme that closely matches the current theme you are accustomed to using with the current software. There is also an easy width adjustment to make it set width or expand to your window width for each theme. As we get closer, I'll update everyone so hopefully, no one will be caught by surprise.
    Dismiss Notice

Sold TopHat Super Deluxe Combo / Local Pickup Only (Chicago) - $975

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs Emporium Archive' started by welcometoashley, Jan 3, 2020.

1. welcometoashley

welcometoashley Supporting Member

Chicago (Humboldt Park/Ukrainian Village)
    FS: TopHat Super Deluxe 2x12 Combo (Black with Wheat Grill) - $975
    Pick-up ONLY. Located in Chicago, IL.

Up for sale on Reverb.
    https://reverb.com/item/30791658-to...-black-with-wheat-grill-with-custom-road-case

Up for sale is my TopHat - Super Deluxe Mk 1, 2x12; serial number SD055. Fantastic, point-to-point hand-wired amp. Sounds amazing. I've owned this amp for the last 10+ years. I don't play out much anymore, and this amp is way too loud for the size gigs I’m playing these days. So, I am looking to sell it to fund a more portable, lower-wattage amp. This ~30 watt amp is insanely loud!

No issues/mods, always kept in a custom-built road case from when I used to tour. Re-tubed within last month: Pre-amp has one Groove Tube 12AY7, two Mullard 12AX7's. Two Tung Sol 6L6's in the power stage. It is solid-state rectified. One of my favorite features of this amp and its larger power transformer is the ability to swap out EL34’s, 6L6’s or 6V6’s without having to re-bias the amp. I wish more amps had this feature. I’ve tried the different type tubes and this amp really showcases each respective tube types’ characteristics. I mainly used 6L6's or EL34's but I'd sometimes switch out to 6V6's if I wanted to bring the wattage and clean headroom down just a tad.

Speakers are well broken in – One Celestion Vintage 30 that emphasizes the mid-range a bit more and a Celestion G12H-30 that has a bit more focus on the low-end and trebles. Between the two, the sound is incredibly sweet and balanced.

Also has a toggle switch for “Fat” boost or “Bright” should you choose to adjust based on the pick-ups/guitar they’re using. Whatever guitar I was using, I kept it in the “off” position as the amp sounds excellent as is.

The Super Deluxe puts out 33 watts of cathode biased Class A Power. Its circuit features a preamp based on the TopBoost, Tweed Bassman and plexi Marshall arrangement -- mixed with an AC30 type phase inverter and no-negative feedback, cathode biased output section. It lays right in the midst of 3 of the greatest amps of all time.

My price is fair and it is firm as I’m in absolutely no rush to sell this amp. Would absolutely love for this amp to go to a player that will use it regularly whether they’re gigging out or not! Will gladly keep it if there’s no interest.

Local Chicago pick up only. I do not want to ship this beast!

YellerJacket likes this.
  2. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

Wow! Nice deal. Why do these deals never show up where I live ...

welcometoashley likes this.
  3. Brion

Brion Supporting Member

I know, right, but you do have the House of Guitars and Record Archive...( I'm a Xerox guy so I get up there a bit.)

4. TeamJA

TeamJA Supporting Member

Dang, how to sneak out for a 10 hour round trip without the misses finding out...lol

5. gtrmsm

gtrmsm Silver Supporting Member

The price is amazing for an amazing amp......

6. welcometoashley

welcometoashley Supporting Member

Chicago (Humboldt Park/Ukrainian Village)
    SOLD to a Reverb buyer for the asking price - thanks everyone for looking....

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.