TopHat Supreme 16 enters Arizona's Backline

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by BattleAngel, Jun 17, 2006.

1. BattleAngel

BattleAngel Member

Hi all- just wanted to start a thread for the TopHat Sweet 16. I just took delivery of an absolutely beautiful burgandy head and first let me just say this thing looks better in person than it does in the JPEGs that have been floating around- right now I have mine mated with a rediculously fine specimen of a vintage Marshall 4x12 (pics to come later today) and the look is completely classy and refined- some people have said that these amps are *too* tuxedo-y looking, but the Burgandy tolex and the beautiful Marshall cab go a long way to making this amp just look sexy and appropriate for our band. The light up logo is great.

But who cares about that, right? We are gear junkies for the sound and the freedom a great amp grants our playing. Well in this regard, the Sweet 16 not only delivers, but has become easily the finest amp I've ever owned. Not surprisingly, that #1 spot was reserved for a very special TopHat Club Royale I owned 4 years ago and which I've been regretting selling every time I play anything else. The Sweet 16 is a match for my old CR, except it has even more guts, usable and inspiring tones at extremely reasonable volumes (our producer Danny Kadar, who did My Morning Jacket's live sound for a while as well as engineer/mix on their first major record, set my master volume at 8:00 and it still cuts through the mix, has plenty of richness, and sounds great). Of course, it sounds best to me when it's totally cranked- lots of gain (definitely enough for my purposes and just more than the CR, which is what I wanted), lots of tweakability, and a great alternate channel.

If you're a fan of the TopHat el84 sound, this is the perfect version of it in my opinion. I hope that TopHat does a revision of one of their cleaner amps so that I can switch between the two for clean and dirty. This amp gets clean-ISH, but it's not 100% clean. Still, it's going to be perfect for what I do in Arizona.

Clips, videos, and pics to come :) [we're doing an instudio concert/recording at www.echomountain.net - which recording sluts will pass out over]

-Ben
    arizonatheband.com
    www.myspace.com/arizonatheband

2. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

3. glman

glman Member

Would love to hear some decent clips of the sup 16 - Looking forward

4. riffmeister

5. jakins

jakins Member

glad to hear you are enjoying yours as much as i am enjoying mine!!!

[​IMG]

6. dehughes

dehughes Member

Gorgeous. That amp is gorgeous... Your guitar sucks, though.....

;););)

7. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Silver Supporting Member

Great.........:D

8. glman

glman Member

9. riffmeister

dirty sound ain't too shabby, either...... ;)

10. glman

glman Member

yip - amp sounds great all around

11. buzzdog

buzzdog Member

Man that sounds good! Brian G. describes the choke giving the amp a different feel. As a player do you notice the difference vs. other tophats like the Club Royale?

12. BattleAngel

BattleAngel Member

13. BattleAngel

BattleAngel Member

14. BattleAngel

BattleAngel Member

[​IMG]

Back shot and a view of the incredible space I had the pleasure of playing this rig in.

15. riffmeister

It feels about the same to me as a Club Royale in terms of compression. The voicing is a bit different, though, esp on the EF86 channel. With the mids turned off on the EQ channel, it gets closer to BF Fendery than any other Club Series amp I've owned.

BTW, nice pics, Ben!

16. tedwoods

tedwoods Member

Riffmeister,your clips are amazing!I'm biting the bullet real hard on this one...

Ted

17. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

18. riffmeister

yeah.....I wanted to simulate what my ears were hearing, so I set the mics about 7 feet from the cabs and up about 6 feet off the floor. cab on the left has a Greenback, cab on the right has a Blue. I think it pretty well captures the sound of the amp the way I hear it.

19. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

Wow...I've never tried putting dynamics so far away from an amp- only condensers. No rules though right?!

20. riffmeister

Highly scientific reason for using the dynamic mics......They were the only ones in the house that day. :D