TopHat users : Speaker suggestions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jccpraznman, Jan 27, 2012.

1. jccpraznman

jccpraznman Supporting Member

Alright gentlemen, I've got a TopHat Super 33 2x12 combo with 2 gh12's currently. It sounds good, but I've always been a big fan of alnico blues. I had a blue and gh12 in a TH cab for my Vanderbilt 33 and it sounded great.

I see where Brian has started using scumbacks in some his latest models. Anyone have any experience using them?

-Caleb

2. LoFi

LoFi Member

I have a g12 and a g12h in my Super Deluxe. I have a Tony Bruno 2x12 cab with Vintage 30's that sounds pretty awesome.

3. jccpraznman

Yeah, sounds killer man. Had an SD for a while, then had it converted into a Super 33. I'm on the fence about pairing a blue with something. Not sure what yet. I've heard a lot of hype about scumbacks, but I'm not sure.

4. riffmeister

riffmeister Member

Not had any personal experience with Scumbacks, but my understanding is that they sound broken in right out of the starting gate. OTOH, Celestion speakers need some pummeling to sound their best. With the Super 33, I'd keep one G12H in there and experiment with the other.....a Blue, a G12M, a V30 will all give you different results. Really the only way to know what works best with your ears/guitar/amp is to experiment, regardless of what is written here. (unfortunately) FWIW, I really liked a G12M/V30 pairing in my Super Deluxe 2x12.

5. LoFi

LoFi Member

:agree

6. tedwoods

tedwoods Member

The Scumnico and the Supreme 16 is a a match made in heaven!

7. jccpraznman

Thanks Riff. Talked with Brian earlier and he suggested the exact same thing.

I had a similar configuration in an old club deluxe, only I had a g12h with a v30.

@tedwoods What makes you like the scumnico so much? Does it really help the s16 get that old school box chime?

8. tedwoods

tedwoods Member

The Scumnico gets the chime just right but also responds much better than the single Blue (that I had in my 1x12 Top Hat cab) in overdrive mode.
    It kinda sounds on its own like what the combination of a G12H with a tad smoother/well broken in Blue would sound together.
    Plus, the power handling (mine's 30W) lets you crank the S16 without fear of blowing the speaker.
    I also liked the M55 with the S16. A bit different sound than the alnico but sounded really good with the S16 too.

Ted

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  9. deeval

deeval Supporting Member

I have a Scumback H55 and the top hat G12h in my Super Deluxe and that sounds really nice.

10. michael stuart 57

michael stuart 57 Member

11. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Yup, I have some Scumbacks in my Dr. Z 2x12 Open Back cab. Great speakers, but basically just great Celestions. If you like the Blue, try some of his Sumnico's. Maybe a Scumnico and a M75 type?