1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

TopTone DRIVEGATE DG-2 review ( Gilmour )

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Kit Rae, Nov 17, 2010.

1. tjmicsak

tjmicsak Member

Let me qualify that with I don't own any cornish pedals, but this a different OD than a Tim, RAT, TS, BSIAB, Muff, Klon, Fuzz, Boost, Tube Overdrive, Preamp pedal, or any other "type" of pedal I own or have had. It is said to be a good sub for the Cornish being that it is a very slight bit noisier, but also has more available gain. After playing one I don't feel the need to buy a Cornish just to confirm Kit Rae's review with my own ears. He's generally pretty good (understatement) with the Gilmour stuff and Muffs I think.

2. trishoot

trishoot Gold Supporting Member

Just got this pedal from Pedal Shark. It is true to the great demos, has an unbelievable feel and tone and you can cover so much with the change in volume on your guitar. Just a superbly voiced pedal with a versatile gain structure.

3. zosozep7

zosozep7 Gold Supporting Member

Bump!

Just picked one up in the Emporium after reading Kits reviews on his site. All I can say is WOW! Pedal is built like a tank, looks fatastic and screams! Very quiet up until the sustain hits the 2 or 3 oclock area then it gets a little noisy. Im using a Jeff Beck Strat with the hot noiseless thru a PRRI. This is a screamin pedal when you want it to be and the sustain is incredible. Pinch harmonics really squeal like no other pedal I have tried.

Kit Raes reviews are right on. Now I decide...... Do I want the DG-1? I think I do!! I have to try one anyways. This pedal should be aknoledged a little more here at TGP. I think its a diamond in the rough. Not too many people know about it so Ill be back to talk more about it. Now im headed into the room to jam some more with this DG-2!

4. Stone Driver

Stone Driver Silver Supporting Member

Bump for a older thread on an amazing pedal. Been using mine for the past year, and wanted to highlight how freaking responsive this pedal is to cleaning up with your guitars volume control. At lower guitar volume settings it somehow manages to maintain a clean and very "full" guitar tone when running it into a clean amp. Some of my other OD pedals seem to thin out a bit when I dial back the OD with guitar volume, but the DG2 keeps it pristine, balanced, and full. You could play with it on all the time, and just use your guitar volume knob to go from clean to mean if you were so inclined. Awesome pedal in my opinion, incredibly responsive, great tones, and a blast to play. Cheers

5. Stone Driver

Stone Driver Silver Supporting Member

Follow up post, anyone tried the DG-1 or Light Drive? If so, how do they compare to the DG2? Thanks and cheers

6. 10strings

10strings Member

How is everyone still liking their Top Tone DG-2??

7. FXMonkey

FXMonkey Member

Brian at Pedalshark.com carries them and he is a great guy to deal with.

8. 0xeneye

0xeneye Supporting Member

I'm still loving my TopTone DG-2. Gets a dimed Marshall sound if I want, also really wonderful cranked leads that cut but with hair. It's not exactly a Muff and not exactly an overdrive, but has characteristics of both.

9. amphead777

amphead777 Member

I got one recently, and I'm thrilled with it. It really does later Gilmour to a tee. You really need to play it, to get it fully. The clips are OK, but there is so much more.