Torpedo Captor: tell me about the cab sim

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by leblee, Sep 11, 2019 at 4:01 PM.

1. leblee

leblee Supporting Member

The Torpedo Captor is perfect for my needs on paper. I want to use my amp and speaker to practice with attenuation at home, and avoid to mike it when I play live at Church and still use my attenuated amp as a monitor. If I record I can use an IR on the computer.

My only concern is the analog cab sim.

Is the cab sim "good enough" for live?

I thought of adding an IR based cab sim device but 1) that would add cost and another thing 2) the cheap ones I saw don't have XLR out 3) likely then I would rethink the captor

Happy to hear other non crazy expensive alternatives that are ideally just one device: attenuation, XLR out with cab sim.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019 at 4:19 PM
  2. 79Stone1

79Stone1 Member

IMO, if you're gonna use an "in the box" solution for front of house while playing at church, or anywhere for that matter, using an attenuated tube amp for nothing other than your own monitoring is a bit counterintuitive. Depending on the mixing console, most have hi-z inputs for plugging your instrument directly into the board. Digital boards like the Behringer X32 have amp/cab sims that deliver pretty dang good stuff.
    Iso cabs are not as popular today as they have been, it seems to me. But, i play with one at a church and in satisfied with the tones I get with it. Every iso cab has resonant frequencies that you have to work around with mic placement and EQ. Your experience may vary.

3. leblee

leblee Supporting Member

Maybe I wasn't clear. My guitar goes into my tube amp and the Captor goes between my amp and my speaker. The signal the Captor would send to the board is my amp with just the cab emulation of the Captor. That's the main point. The attenuated amp is a side benefit. Does it make more sense now?

79Stone1 likes this.
  4. 79Stone1

79Stone1 Member

If you're into computer recording at all I'd seriously consider buying a $100 USB interface and using a DAW like Reaper ($60 and it can be installed on a thumb drive) along with the IR/amp/cab sim software of your choice. I think it would be cheaper and easier than hauling an amp and cab and attenuator around for a Sunday service. Pretty easy way to mix your own monitor signal if you want, and you should be able to pipe in at least a stereo mix of everything else from the board and mix yourself relative to the rest of the band.
    Or pick up one of the old Line 6 POD 2.0 units. Remember the old red kidney bean? They're not near as cool or flashy as the new stuff but they work.

leblee likes this.
  5. 79Stone1

79Stone1 Member

Im not familiar with that product. But even if it's cab simulation is total junk there are options you could explore. Most church sound guys prefer that the guitars plug straight into the board or a direct box of some sort. You could use a direct box to split your guitar signal, sending one to your amp
    I misunderstood the intended use of the Captor product so that is clear to me now. Unfortunately i haven't used it so i can't say whether the cab sim is good or not

leblee likes this.
  6. leblee

leblee Supporting Member

Thanks, appreciate the replies since the amount of options in the market right now is overwhelming. I changed churches after having a wonderful relationship with a very talented sound engineer. My amp was mailed in a separate room, we used IEMs and it sounded awesome. In the new place they are not so strong in the sound department so I'm trying to rely as little as possible on their skills.

79Stone1 likes this.