Torres amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jzucker, Jan 8, 2006.

1. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

What do you guys think of his amps? I recently picked up a Torres Princetone in a trade and it sounds fantastic. I was going to sell it because it isn't loud enough for me to gig with but yesterday I spent a few hours playing through it and I think at low volumes (i.e. recording, practice, etc) it might possibly be the best amp I've heard in quite some time. It is basically a Princeton Reverb but with EL84s. It gets a sound similar to Scott Henderson's Dog Party.

Anyone else try one of these? Anything I should check in terms of making it bulletproof?

2. Swain

Swain Member

I have a Princetone Jr. I built it from a kit. KILLER! Great reverb. Blackface style tones.
    I added a dwell pot to the reverb. Basically, just wiring it in where they originally had a resistor. The chassis had an extra hole drilled on the back. I located the pot, there. This is a great mod.
    Also, try using a 12AU7, or AT7 in place of the first 12AX7. This lowers the gain, and "cleans up" the OD sounds. I think you'll get a more open, airy OD sound. Better grind. And not so scattered on the higher gain settings.
    I will try to get a couple of pics of the amp, and post them soon. Let's see a pic of yours, if you can take one.
    Great little amp. Whenever I take it to a jam session, or a recording studio, everyone looks at it like it's a toy. "Oh, you built that from a kit, huh?" Then after hearing it, they all start asking questions! "Torres, huh? Can I play through it? Where did you get it?" LOL. From a "cute" little amp, to "wow, that thing ROCKS!" in 1 short song. :AOK

3. pyt

pyt Member

I had torres tweed deluxe at one time. Completely ruled. I only got rid of it because I needed a clean tone. So I traded it back to Dan for a Pro Reverb he restored. Killer amp as well.

4. Swain

Swain Member

I've seen a bunch of people online, who don't give Torres his due. Great amps, for good prices. His build quality isn't like Budda, or Matchless. But, it's really good. Better than most factory stuff. And his guitar mods are pretty cool, too.

5. michael.e

michael.e Silver Supporting Member

Some of us do not give Torres rave reviews here because we have either had terrible service from him, or his products/mods ended up being utter garbage. I am glad that you dig your amp, there are simply many that have had the polar opposite experience. Myself included, I will never deal with him again. M.E.

6. jzucker

Can you be specific?

7. michael.e

michael.e Silver Supporting Member

Oh, I am not inclined to post specifics, but it involves an amp mod that took way too long, with no communication. When there was communication, I was simply wasting his time. The mod ended up sounding terrible. I had it reversed by somebody else, as he would not put it back to original condition after I expressed my displeasure with the work and service. What was represented as the tone I was going to achive and what was coming out of my speaker were nothing alike. Now I am getting frustrated all over again and it has been a couple of years at least. I am done talking about this. M.E.

8. Swain

Swain Member

I will say that I did have some problems.

My kit was supposed to be the "complete" amp kit. "Everything included". Then I had to purchase a "Wiring Kit" to get the wiring! The directions had mistakes, that screwed me up, a few times. And they seemed to be very defensive, when I mentioned anything I might want to change. Kinda funny, as his ads always promote tinkering, and modifying guitars, and amps!
    On the plus side, whenever I needed a part or product, it arrived quickly, with no questions asked.

So, the customer service is sketchy. But, his product is really good. Quite a few of his products are really good. I haven't tried them all, though.

I can see how some people would be put off by dealing with Torres. I love my amp, and some of the mods I've used. But, don't relish the thought of actually calling/e mailing them

9. jzucker

how are weber's kits by comparison?

10. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I've seen a few Torres modded amps, read the book and seen one of his originals (a BF Super Reverb Clone)-all the work I've seen has been a bit iffy-a lightish cabinet (buzzy), average wiring/soldering/lead dress, not great tone. If you find an amp by him you love, that's wonderful, but I probably wouldn't buy one new, or one of his kits/mods new just because I don't trust him. Strangely, another guy who got himself in trouble, Bob Hudson of Blues Pearl, just kills Torres in terms of his construction quality.

11. ScottB

ScottB Gold Supporting Member

I haven't played his amps, but I have had good luck with his wiring harnesses. I love the Bluescaster. I've got two, in my '84 Tokai AST 62 and '97 Am Std.

I also bought two strat pickups from him. Not bad, but didn't really impress me. I've still got one in somewhere. I've lost track at this point but I think it's in the Am Std. Actually, I may put the other one in my JV Strat (maybe even today), to replace a VanZandt with a grounding issue (see Guitar Technical section).

His customer service can be bad. The pickups took forever to ship, and I bought some tubes from him recently with the same story. Web site said they were in stock, in the end I think I got a different reverb tube than what I ordered. On the other hand, he was pretty responsive to questions, which is a plus.

Overall, some good stuff, but typical small-shop woes when dealing with him.

12. rpavich

rpavich Member

ScottB,
    I also am a fan of the blues bucker kits..had them in les pauls, es335 and strats...wouldn't play without them..

bob

13. templar

templar Member

I liked his book. It had some good things in it that I've used that work really well. I think alot of his other stuff is hyped up way much.

14. jreardon

jreardon Member

Torres in the UK are fabulous to work with. I bought one of their extension cabinets to house a 1x12 speaker and they truly were a delight to work with. Kept me informed throughout the build and delivered on time.

http://freespace.virgin.net/vyse.co/index.htm

15. jzucker

Here are some pix of mine. The construction of mine is good. Maybe not great but good. It's not on the level of Allen, Fuchs or Dr. Z but it's better than a lot I've seen. At least the components are rated for the correct voltages unlike a boutique amp I bought a couple years ago pulling 500+v but using 450v caps in the power supply. And another recent Deluxe reverb copy I had in which there were 3 boards stacked on top of each other with silicone goop holding the whole thing together. That amp died and I couldn't get the boards apart to fix it without unsoldering the top board. How's that for a hand-wired amp?!?

http://www.jackzucker.com/misc/torresboard.jpg
    http://www.jackzucker.com/misc/torresfront.jpg
    http://www.jackzucker.com/misc/torresback.jpg

16. jzucker

Wanna sell it? I've been looking for a copy

17. redjet55

redjet55 Member

that would be the same as my experience both good and bad on a tiny tone deluxe kit. It ended OK but I wouldnÂ’t want to do it again.

18. redjet55

redjet55 Member

that construction looks fine for a fender clone

overall the amp looks pretty generic but if it sounds great it is great :)

19. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Yeah, those pics look about part for the course from what I remember. Definitely not up to top of the line standards, but serviceable, the sound is the thing.

20. jzucker

Yeah, folks forget that the original fenders that we wax poetic about were put together mostly by former housewives! ;)

They certainly weren't boutique but many are still working 45 years later. You're right that the thing is serviceable. :eek: