Torres or other amp mods/overhauls

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jonlarsen002, Mar 18, 2008.

1. jonlarsen002

jonlarsen002 Member

I have a BF Bassman 66 that doesn't seem to have had any work done on it for at least 20 years. All sorts of fuzzy/popping/detuned issues. I'm thinking of using a Torres kit to overhaul it. Any experience with Torres or anything similar that you can recommend?

2. AL30

AL30 Member

It probably just needs the oil changed... some maintenance. No need to order an overhual kit - whatever that is.

1. Cap job !!! Replace the electrolytics (not the coupling caps). That includes the filter caps, the 25uf/25V caps on the board, and the bias supply cap.

2. Put a three prong chord on it if it hasn't been done

3. Check the resistors on the power tubes (470ohm and 1.5K). These get a lot of heat.

4. May want to change the bias supply to a real bias adjust.

5. Check your plate loads for noise.

6. Check you coupling caps for leaky DC.

7. Check for cold solder joints

8. Plug in and turn up to 7 or 8

9. When the cops show up blame it on your neighbor

10. This space left blank ________ for whatever I forgot to add.

There is some good info at Hoffman and he's a great guy to order from as well.

http://www.el34world.com/schematics.htm

AL

3. johnny5

johnny5 Supporting Member

are you in the bay area? I would recomend Curt Emery of Emery Sound before Torres. He'll treat you and your amp much better.

4. pbradt

pbradt Senior Member

+100000000 on Curt Emery. Don't let Torres take a soldering iron to your amp. He's a butcher. Emery is a great guy, won't gouge you and equally important, won't gouge your amp.

5. scott1568

scott1568 Member

I think Torres is a decent businessman with a few detractors on some of the forums. Many of the criticisms come from the fact that players from the 80's wanted things from their amps they weren't designed for (lets give my Fender Blackface that Marshall or Boogie sound with master volume, turn the Trem channel into something else, etc, etc.) So now you have the purists claiming that he has ruined many good amps when really he was just trying to satisfy his customers. He has been the go-to guy for a lot longer than many of the boutique builders I bet.

Jeff Bakos cited Dan Torres' book in the Tone Quest Report in a positive way if that tells you something. I just hate to see someone get flamed unfairly. I myself have had some great experiences in doing business with Dan, and he knows what he is doing.

6. RedRock

RedRock Member

#10- Either re-tube or test existing tubes and replace as needed.

Scott1568, I agree with you.

7. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

If you're East of the Mississippi Jim Price at Omega Amps in NC is a wonderful technician and very reasonable.

8. twangbanger

twangbanger Supporting Member

+1, I had 2 bad experiences w/ Torres, would not recommend him....

9. doctorx

doctorx Member

I agree with AL30's post, and recommend against going to Torrez. If you need a tech, there's got to be somebody better in CA you can go to.

10. Bluewail

Bluewail Tone curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

Unfortunately I've got to 'diss Torres too. Two bad experiences and know first hand of at least two more with friends' amps. He's very knowledgeable but it leads him to believe he knows "better" than his customers and so he often does as he pleases vs. doing what you ask him to do. With so many other great techs in the SF Bay Area (Curt Emery, Ron "Uncle Spot" Veil, Ron Ott, Val King) there's no need to risk Torres.

11. Daren Anderson

Daren Anderson Member

I brought a guitar in for some work to Torres. He was really cool to deal with when I brought the guitar in. Once I had paid for the work, he had the "don't let the door hit you in the a$$ on the way out!" attitude. I'm not going back to him.

12. bosstone

bosstone Member

See Hal at Guitronics in S. F. Ron Veil at Uncle Spot in Mocesto, Stan at Mojotronics in Fairfield, Dave Ray at A Brown Soun in San Rafael, Ron Ott in Livermore and Curt Emery in El Cerrito are also top notch. In the past 25 years or so I have dealt with all of these guys. If you have any trouble locating them, just PM me.

13. hawkeyeinexile

hawkeyeinexile Silver Supporting Member

WayOutWest (Santa Clara, CA (not Canada))
    'nother vote for Dan. have had many good experiences with him. e.g., he built a compact JTM45 grab&go for me that i still have. it went back & forth several times 'til i liked it & Dan did extra work @ no charge 'til i was happy.

since Dan's >30 mi. away & Val King is <3, i tend to go to Val now. 'nother good 'un is Scott Kinkel @ South Valley Vintage Amps, who did a spectacular job on my '65-'67 BFSR.

:cool:

14. rhythmrocker

rhythmrocker 1966 Battle of the Bands Supporting Member

What bosstone said. Is Dan Torres a member here? I had two dealings with him in the mid-70's when he was in Los Gatos (Altos?). I sold my 1964 double-cutaway Martin electric to him for a fair price; bought a '73 strat with a brass mass bridge/nut for a fair price (too bright!).