Torres overhaul kits, any good?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by FuzzOff, Sep 12, 2004.

1. FuzzOff

FuzzOff Member

Just wondering about the quality of BF Super Reverb kits over at Torres...any specifics on what brand of filter caps are best? Any other kits out there?

thx

2. frank52

frank52 Guest

chech out area 51 kits. they use the best parts and have detailed instructions. a BFDR kit is about 60 bucks.

3. TheAmpNerd

TheAmpNerd Member

I've heard nothing but bad things
    about them.

Tell me what you want and i'll put the best kits for that amp that money can buy.

Do you just want just Power Electrolytics?

or ALL the electrolytics.

I also have some great coupling
    upgrades as well as Output socket
    rebuilds an input rebuilds and
    Black face kits.

Please advise

Spike

4. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

I'd agree about Torres. I had a tech install one of their loops in an old marshall. He about pulled his hair our reading the schematc torres sent. IT was hand drawn and missing a lot of stuff.

5. Steve Ouimette

Steve Ouimette Member

Dan Torres is a good guy with the right intentions, but I'd also have to admit that the kits are a bit on the unprofessional side...especially on the directions. I built one of his Tweed Deluxe amp kits and though it turned out pretty good, there were a few things missing in the directions and the steps felt out of order and not at all intuitive.

His "EZ" kits, which are just a couple of resistor and capacitor changes are easy enough but I'm not a fan of Orange Drop caps for the most part so they're not really my thing.

I will say that his "Inside Tube Amps" book does have a great set of voltage charts that are useful when testing out amps or biasing them. The rest of the book seems scattered. Dan clearly knows math and understands amps, it just doesn't come across that well in his kits or book.

Steve

6. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Plus his work tends to be a bit on the less than careful side on amp repairs and builds, from my experience. Seems like good guy who's just gotten too busy to be careful any more...

7. Stringrazor

Stringrazor Member

Anyone else have an opinion about the Area 51 overaul kits? I'm about to order the two cap and one resistor kits for my AB868 SFDR.

The filter cap kit seems a bit pricey, is it worth the $$? Is the $10 upgarde to the filter cap kit worthwhile?

From the site:
    "Select the "Upgrade this kit" option to optimize the filter cap set for improved dynamic response, tighter bottom-end, and improved power."

For the plate load resistors:

"Choose between 1/2 watt carbon composition (vintage correct) or 1 watt carbon film for improved low noise performance"

I want to gig with the amp so go for the 1 watt carbon films?

Also, has anyone made & used one of these bias check sockets?

http://hoffmanamps.com/biascurrent.htm

Worthwhile or just use cathode resistor method?

Thanks,
    ---- Gary ----

8. theelectic

theelectic Guest

Yikes - those Area 51 kits seem mighty expensive for what you get - 8 plate load resistors for $5? Hoffman sells those for .25 cents each!

The filter cap kit isn't as bad, the AB868 kit is $60.75 for $38 (Hoffman price) worth of caps.

9. doctorx

doctorx Member

I have built built a bias checker using the hoffman parts and plan. I made two of the socket doodads and built a switch box to measure the cathode current directly. Or you could use the resistor if you like. It cost about $15 but I had the switches and banana plugs and a box I got from a surplus store. I works great and was a whole lot cheaper than buying one.

those area 51 prices are steep. Read a schematic and get the parts from mouser or digikey. You have to page through the websites or the catalogs but the prices are much better. Or if you want it easy get them from Doug Hoffman, I have ordered from him lots of times with no problem. A filter cap kit would consist of 4 or 5 big caps and a couple of resistors. Doug has a whole page of info on it:

http://www.hoffmanamps.com/fenderservice7.htm

good luck, regis

10. Stringrazor

Stringrazor Member

I placed an order today with Dave Allen for a DR cap kit after waiting for him to get resupplied on the 16uf Atoms. A short time later, he emails me that the entire batch of 16uf Atoms tested bad ("worse than the old capacitors ever get") and he won't be buying them anymore. I'm going with the 20uf/500v caps as he suggests.