Tortoise - Any Fans on TGP?

m.e.

Talking like a jerk except I am an actual jerk
Gold Supporting Member
I've loved this band since since I discovered them about 12 years ago. I've seen them live a few times, and they've always been amazing. I searched TGP and it looks like there hasn't been a thread about them, which is sort of surprising (maybe I messed up the search).

Anyone else really like this band?

Here's a pretty good, older live clip of them.

smolder

Gold Supporting Member
Yes. Haven't listened to them in a while... I'll have to queue them up later. When I lived in Chicago it seemed they were always hiatus or in Europe so I was never able to catch them live.

2HBStrat

I love Tortoise! I always mention them in any thread about under the radar bands. I've only seen them once, in Nashville, back when they were heavily featuring vibes, and they were great! I particularly like the "Standards", "TNT", and "Millions now Living will Never Die" era. Because of John McEntire's drumming I also got into The Sea and Cake.

greenlander

Tortoise is awesome. Probably got into them around same time frame (10-12 years ago). I've never seen them live but they put out some fantastic albums.

Agree with above that The Sea & Cake is also great. In fact it was when someone turned me onto S&C that eventually led me to Tortoise.

M

Member 995

Big fan here! Sadly, I've only seen them live once, when they toured with Daniel Lanois 10+ years ago. Fantastic show.

greeny

Many years ago I read a great review in Q magazine of the album 'TNT', so I bought it (double vinyl) unfortunately I hate it, not my thing at all I'm afraid.

m.e.

Gold Supporting Member
Big fan here! Sadly, I've only seen them live once, when they toured with Daniel Lanois 10+ years ago. Fantastic show.

I saw them on that tour. I think it was at The Avalon in LA.

M

Member 995

I saw them on that tour. I think it was at The Avalon in LA.

That sounds right. Remember the dancer Lanois brought out? I had seen her at Forty Deuce doing a burlesque show.

Time to listen to "tnt."

m.e.

Gold Supporting Member
Check out Doug McCombs other band Brokeback. Killer atmospheric post surf instrumentals.

Thanks for the recommendation. I just bought their latest album. Love it so far.

Yes. Also check out Papa M and Ariel M from David Pajo a tortoise member.

Thanks! I'll check these guys out too.

wierzbowski

Silver Supporting Member
Brokeback is great. I caught them on a whim and they totally reinvigorated my love of live music. Tortoise is one of my all time favorites, just a profound, complex, ambitious band. Would that more people attempted to play both the variety and quality of their music.

el guapo

Silver Supporting Member
Many years ago I read a great review in Q magazine of the album 'TNT', so I bought it (double vinyl) unfortunately I hate it, not my thing at all I'm afraid.
Do you still have it? I'll buy it if you want to sell. :)

Thanks
Michael

Thedude99

Yes, I've been a fan since Millions Now Living... came out. I remember being floored when I first heard it. That point where Djed just shifts. Wow.

Supremely talent musicians- but not the type of music that would be enjoyed by most around here (hence the lack of discussion)

2HBStrat

Yes, I've been a fan since Millions Now Living... came out. I remember being floored when I first heard it. That point where Djed just shifts. Wow.

Supremely talent musicians- but not the type of music that would be enjoyed by most around here (hence the lack of discussion)

I think I first heard about Tortoise on NPR about the time that "Standards" was released. I got it, liked it, and got TNT and Millions.....all great.....

Polvo

Silver Supporting Member
David Pajo is/was also a member of Slint, a great band WAY ahead of their times, and who have been mentioned by members of Tortoise as being very influential to them.
Been listening to spiderland for a couple of days here recently, was able to see them on a their first reunion back around 2003? First night in Louisville Kentucky, sounded amazing. Been rocking Slint since 91.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom