• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Tortoise - Any Fans on TGP?

m.e.

Talking like a jerk except I am an actual jerk
Gold Supporting Member
I've loved this band since since I discovered them about 12 years ago. I've seen them live a few times, and they've always been amazing. I searched TGP and it looks like there hasn't been a thread about them, which is sort of surprising (maybe I messed up the search).

Anyone else really like this band?

Here's a pretty good, older live clip of them.

smolder

Platinum Supporting Member
Yes. Haven't listened to them in a while... I'll have to queue them up later. When I lived in Chicago it seemed they were always hiatus or in Europe so I was never able to catch them live.

2HBStrat

I love Tortoise! I always mention them in any thread about under the radar bands. I've only seen them once, in Nashville, back when they were heavily featuring vibes, and they were great! I particularly like the "Standards", "TNT", and "Millions now Living will Never Die" era. Because of John McEntire's drumming I also got into The Sea and Cake.

greenlander

Tortoise is awesome. Probably got into them around same time frame (10-12 years ago). I've never seen them live but they put out some fantastic albums.

Agree with above that The Sea & Cake is also great. In fact it was when someone turned me onto S&C that eventually led me to Tortoise.

M

Member 995

Big fan here! Sadly, I've only seen them live once, when they toured with Daniel Lanois 10+ years ago. Fantastic show.

greeny

Many years ago I read a great review in Q magazine of the album 'TNT', so I bought it (double vinyl) unfortunately I hate it, not my thing at all I'm afraid.

m.e.

Gold Supporting Member
Big fan here! Sadly, I've only seen them live once, when they toured with Daniel Lanois 10+ years ago. Fantastic show.
I saw them on that tour. I think it was at The Avalon in LA.

M

Member 995

I saw them on that tour. I think it was at The Avalon in LA.
That sounds right. Remember the dancer Lanois brought out? I had seen her at Forty Deuce doing a burlesque show.

Time to listen to "tnt."

m.e.

Gold Supporting Member
Check out Doug McCombs other band Brokeback. Killer atmospheric post surf instrumentals.
Thanks for the recommendation. I just bought their latest album. Love it so far.

Yes. Also check out Papa M and Ariel M from David Pajo a tortoise member.
Thanks! I'll check these guys out too.

wierzbowski

Silver Supporting Member
Brokeback is great. I caught them on a whim and they totally reinvigorated my love of live music. Tortoise is one of my all time favorites, just a profound, complex, ambitious band. Would that more people attempted to play both the variety and quality of their music.

el guapo

Many years ago I read a great review in Q magazine of the album 'TNT', so I bought it (double vinyl) unfortunately I hate it, not my thing at all I'm afraid.
Do you still have it? I'll buy it if you want to sell. :)

Thanks
Michael

Thedude99

Yes, I've been a fan since Millions Now Living... came out. I remember being floored when I first heard it. That point where Djed just shifts. Wow.

Supremely talent musicians- but not the type of music that would be enjoyed by most around here (hence the lack of discussion)

2HBStrat

Yes, I've been a fan since Millions Now Living... came out. I remember being floored when I first heard it. That point where Djed just shifts. Wow.

Supremely talent musicians- but not the type of music that would be enjoyed by most around here (hence the lack of discussion)
I think I first heard about Tortoise on NPR about the time that "Standards" was released. I got it, liked it, and got TNT and Millions.....all great.....

Polvo

Silver Supporting Member
David Pajo is/was also a member of Slint, a great band WAY ahead of their times, and who have been mentioned by members of Tortoise as being very influential to them.
Been listening to spiderland for a couple of days here recently, was able to see them on a their first reunion back around 2003? First night in Louisville Kentucky, sounded amazing. Been rocking Slint since 91.

Trending Topics