• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Tortuga Neptune Vibe

F.Ender

Hi all gearheads,

Have any of you compared the Tortuga Neptune vibe with other vibe pedals available on the market today (Mojo / Deja /Megavibe...)?
Looks like an interresting vibe candidate, but a hands-on comparison/review from someone would be nice...

wtdpblake

If you can wait a couple of weeks I'll have a review of the Neptune up on the site. I don't have another vibe to compare it to however.

BattleAngel

disclaimer: I endorse Tortuga effects and the Neptune is what sold me!

Hi - the only other cloneish vibe pedal I've played has been a 2nd hand lovepedal and I quite prefer the Neptune. It not only sounds great, but the dual channel operation and optical sensor put it over the top in usability factor. I've toured with it extensively now and I think it's awesome. I'd really like to check out the Effectrode tube vibe but in the studio and live the Tortuga has been a perfect univibe type unit with the expressiveness of the original pedals with a much smaller foot print.

Pellecaster

Hi,

I'm a bit of a vibe nut so I thought I would chime in with my opinion. I currently have a Tortuga Neptune Vibe, Sweet Sound Mojo Vibe, Fulltone MDV-2, Effectrode Tube-Vibe, and Black Cat Half-rack Vibe. They are all great vibes and I can get similar sounds out of each. Worth noting is the Tortuga is not photo-cell based while the rest are.

The Neptune Vibe is a very hi-fi sounding vibe with a really cool sound, although it doesn't get those super fast speeds. The trebles are very clear and I find it has a more modern sound than the others however the bass is a bit lacking. This lends itself to more than just Hendrix/Trower sounds. There is no need for an expression pedal as this one has a light sensor which adjusts the mix of the effect. It cuts through very well in a band situation.

The Mojo Vibe is a very versatile box with internal dipswitches so it can be set for a vintage or modern mode. The speeds go from very slow to very fast and it also has an expression pedal input. It's small size makes it a great option for compact boards and it easily cops the Hendrix/Trower sounds.

I just received the Fulltone MDV-2 and I can't say anything about reliability yet but it has a vintage or modern mode switch, volume and intensity knobs. Expression pedal is integral to the unit and it disengages in the heel position. The sound is great, it engages and disengages quietly, the speed goes from real slow to super fast just as advertised and it's easy to dial in all the classic sounds.

The Effectrode Tube-Vibe has alot of headroom so boost it to your hearts desire, it is a warm, squishy sounding vibe, it has an expression pedal jack, the speed can go slow-fast no problem. The large housing might be a deciding factor for some.

The Black Cat half-rack vibe is not currently available unless you can find a used unit. It has a standard control layout, volume, intensity, and speed, an expression pedal jack and a remote switch jack. This one is LOUD! It has great headroom and very fast to very slow speeds. The reliability is questionable, I've had to open it up before because the speed indicator light stopped flashing and I found a 4 inch piece of solder laying inside, I guess it was there for the inevitable repairs! This one has an uneven oscillation to the sound which I love, however its size makes unsuitable for a small pedal board.

It's hard for me to rate these vibes against each other because they all do what they are supposed to admirably. My favorite at home vibe is the Black Cat, for playing out I like the Mojo best with the Tortuga a close second. I just got the MDV-2 so I can't rate this with the others until it gets more use.

It's worth noting that I am on the waiting lists for the Foxrox Aquavibe and the KR Megavibe, but who knows when I will get my invitation to purchase. I am also interested in adding a Roger Mayer Voodoo Vibe, MJM Sixties Vibe, and a Retroman Ubervibe to the stable. I hope this helps some :)

F.Ender

Hi,

I'm a bit of a vibe nut....
Pellecaster,
Calling you a vibe nut almost seems like an understatement.
Thanks for the great roundup of vibes.
I really want a Mojovibe, but it's not easy to get a hold of one here in Norway. The Neptune looks like a good candidate.
In your opinion, does it sound more modern/hi-fi than the Mojo on the modern setting?

Pellecaster

Hi F.Ender,

The Neptune is definitely more hi-fi sounding than the Mojo. To me the Neptune has a brighter tone to it on all settings, not a bad thing unless you are specifically looking for that Hendrix/Trower sound. A fuzz into the Mojo just sounds warmer to me in either the vintage or modern mode, probably because of the photocells. I'm sure the pickups whether HB's or single coils will make a difference too (I tested both). The Neptune is a modern take on the vibe probably a lot closer to the Mojohand LunaVibe.

IRG

This thread is relative to my interests. I've been on the Aquavibe list for a long time, I have no clue if I'm still on it. So I am wanting to get a really good vibe. I have a Diamond Vibrato pedal (#6) that is quite good for what it does, but it isn't really what I'm after, and the Voodoo Labs Microvibe I have is decent for a cheaper vibe, but I'll replace both with one good vibe. So the Tortuga does interest me. Ihad the Luna for a while, but didn't like how fast it went, so quickly. So if the Neptune is slower, that would be preferred.

Seems like all of the really good vibes are so hard to order/find, let alone not cheap. Somewhat maddening.

NewarkWilder

i've been pretty interested in this thing too... the demo they have for it makes it sound really nice, very "chewy," but I'm wondering about this speed thing. so you guys are saying it doesn't go as fast as other vibes--but just how fast can it go really? is the max speed slow to the point of being a major drawback?

any more info would be appreciated, lets keep this thread going! it seems like this thing has major potential so i'd love to hear more opinions as more people get to try it. I'm on the Aquavibe waitlist too but I'm kinda tired of waiting. The Neptune definitely has my attention!

edit: so i decided to be my brilliant self and go back and watch the demo vid again... kinda answered my question about how fast it can go, haha. it does seem a bit slower than other vibes out there but still pretty nice. they've actually got 'em in stock at the Mad Ape right now... tempting...

Last edited:

IRG

How is the new Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe 2? Doesn't seem mini now, and not sure how this differes from the regular one. But I'm tempted to give it a try, although it would be another large pedal on my board...

saltlifemike

The neptune is a great vibe..I dig it..you might also want to look at earthquaker devices 'the depths' and the bearfoot fx mint green vibe..hard to go wrong with any of these 3 IMHO

ToneKing

I love vibes and over the years have had quite a variety, but I have always found that in live use they cause my sound to get buried in the mix.

Dig ?

Silver Supporting Member
I havent tried the neptune but i would be remissed if i didnt hip you to the roger mayer voodoo vibe tc.

First off.. roger mayer! Need i say more? Its a great vintage voiced vibe that can be very subtle or super intense. Soupy, thick, chewy, its just "right". a proper vibe for the vibe inclined. Im really suprised i dont see it discussed more often

Trending Topics