Total Gym XLS - anyone using it?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by daacrusher2001, Apr 6, 2015.

1. daacrusher2001

daacrusher2001 Silver Supporting Member

So, I need an alternative to free weights - Been lifting for a long time, but a couple of injuries and surgery changed what I can, or should do. It's hard for me to get to a gym with regularity, so I always work out at home.

I've been looking at the total gym for awhile, but I don't know anyone who actually has one. I'm way past the age where I'm looking to bulk up, just like to stay fit.

Are any of you guys using one? If so, would you care to comment on the effectiveness and quality of the unit?

Thanks....

2. trower

trower Silver Supporting Member

I'll be watching this...

3. Darby Crash

Darby Crash Member

4. daacrusher2001

no self portraits...you do look ripped tho'

5. Darby Crash

Darby Crash Member

6. fezz parka

fezz parka Member

I use one. Burns calories, mostly an upper body workout. Keeps me from becoming a BFF. :D

7. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

Unless you're totally set on a Total Gym, consider gymnastic rings as an alternative. I train on the rings because I enjoy progressing from beginner skills to more challenging skills. It's not as boring to me as progressing from, say, doing a few pushups to doing lots of pushups.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
  8. All_Thumbs

All_Thumbs Member

If you are willing to spend more money, you could also think about getting a decent rowing machine. Something like the Concept 2 Model D rower, which you can get for less than $1K and which can give you an excellent fully body workout. There might be cheaper options out there as well.

Rowing is a low impact exercise, and some of the fittest people I have known have been rowers.

twoheadedboy likes this.
  9. Belmont

Belmont Member

check out Tony Hortons P90 series, it's amazing, no machinery or equipment required.

10. Bob Longo

Bob Longo Gold Supporting Member

A rowing machine + TRX straps = excellent core work and total body.

11. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

I have the budget model - Total Gym 1000.
    Had it about 10 years.

GREAT piece of equipment but as Fezz Parka mentioned it's mostly for upper body & core.
    You can do leg exercises but it's not real easy.

12. ungarn

ungarn Member

You can often find deals on craiglist for used Total Gyms that people are using for a laundry basket shelf.

There are plenty of bodyweight and yoga programs that can be done at home too...

13. Porrig

Porrig Member

TRX straps are your friend! Excellent, varied total body workout and you can make it as easy or as tough as you want. I've not touched a free weight since starting to use them a couple of years ago.

14. Fishyfishfish

Fishyfishfish Member

My dad has one if this helps. Mostly upper body/ core as mentioned. He likes it, but it was expensive for what it does. P90X for the full body get in shape stuff with just a pair of dumbbells and maybe a pull-up bar.

15. ACfixer

ACfixer Member

Anything you actually use is good. Total Gym, Bowflex, dumbbells, gym membership, P90x, whatever. None of them are going to exercise you.

16. RLD

RLD Member

I've had a Total Gym for a long time.
    Not the one they sell on the infomercial but a heavy duty version.
    I use it every other day offset with a cardio day.
    Between that, running, kettle bells and HIT it's part of a routine I've been doing for years
    This model has a bar so you can add free weights.
    Folds up and out of the way it you need.
    I've tried lots of different type machines in my workout room and this is the one I've stuck with.
    [​IMG]

17. fezz parka

fezz parka Member

That's the one! :D

18. daacrusher2001

Thanks for the feedback, everyone...I really like weightlifting and running, but, without going into a lot of details, I have some restrictions when it comes to weights now. Even running is discouraged.

The total gym is appealing as it seems to provide a decent amount of exercises without dragging me to the gym. I'm not looking to bulk up, just stay fit and strong.

I know there are other options, like P90X, I may try something like that first, depends on what I have to do.

19. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

The Total Gym is very easy to use.
    No additional weights are needed since it uses your own body weight as the resistance.
    If you have room to leave it setup it's real handy to just jump on it and do a few reps.

One thing I really like is you can do many different exercises and work different muscles without changing any settings. You just simple change the movement that you are doing.

Great machine for toning and staying in shape.
    I should really use mine more.

20. TommyP

TommyP Member

I agree with HoboMan: If you just wanna stay fit and maybe tone a bit, the total gym is what you need.

My uncle asked me the exact same question so I did some research and tested the different types.
    It is very easy to set up and use, doesn't take up much space (if you're using it in your living or bedroom for example) and you can adjust how much of your body weight you actually wanna use.
    There's different kinds and some accessories you can buy for it. I reviewed the most popular ones on my blog tomlikesbest.com, maybe it will help someone decide.

In my blog post there's also a section with some different exercises. The video I liked best is the one by a user (with the name getfitover40 ;) who tested it out himself:

As with all exercises: What kind if equipment you have is not nearly as important as how often you use it!