• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Total Noob Question for Recording

CaptainLou426

So when it always came to recording, I never touched any of it or played with any of it. I played what I had to play and left. I want that to change now and play and tinker. Question is, with something like the Tascam DP24 which seems up my alley, what is that doing going into your computer rather than with no Tascam and just recording right into something like Reaper. Or, is the Tascam meant for just recording into that only out to monitors with no computer involved. I don't know if that made sense or not.

Great Shot Pilot

Silver Supporting Member
It does make sense.

Forget hardware; you simply don't need it. Purchase a solid audio interface, like a Scarlett 2i2, and then download Reaper, as well as a copy of some drum software (maybe EzDrummer 2). You'll be well in your way.

CaptainLou426

It does make sense.

Forget hardware; you simply don't need it. Purchase a solid audio interface, like a Scarlett 2i2, and then download Reaper, as well as a copy of some drum software (maybe EzDrummer 2). You'll be well in your way.
Just so I can understand though, are components like the Tascam run to be alternates to using computers?

kludge

The droid you're looking for
Yes, there are a number of digital recorders that can work without a computer. They seem to come and go with fashion. If recording with computers bothers you for whatever reason, they're good alternatives. Computers can be very distracting and confusing for the recording process.

eclecto-acoustic

Serial tree-hugger
^^^Exactly that. Hardware control surfaces can make computer recording and mixing a much more enjoyable process for the more old school among us. There is just a dizzying level of power on tap within the various DAWs.

scotth

Silver Supporting Member
Just so I can understand though, are components like the Tascam run to be alternates to using computers?
Yes, the Tascam DP 24 is an alternative to using a computer.

When I started recording, I used a 4 track tape recorder. It was before I even owned a computer. I had a blast with that thing! The Tascam that you're looking at is a newer version of my tape machine.

I eventually got a computer and moved into a interface and recording software as suggested above.

pbmw

I think Digital Recorders are great. I have an HD24 that I run from my 3208 Mackie. 24 direct outs to the HD24 and 24 ins to my 24E for playback. I can route anything through my rack and can ADAT to my 2408 back to Reaper. Kind of a hybrid system if you will. It's easier for me to plug in a couple tracks and get an idea down without booting my computer, starting Reaper, finding a template, arming tracks, making sure routing is correct...
Really, it's about finding the workflow that makes sense to You.
There's a lot of choices out there.

CaptainLou426

I think Digital Recorders are great. I have an HD24 that I run from my 3208 Mackie. 24 direct outs to the HD24 and 24 ins to my 24E for playback. I can route anything through my rack and can ADAT to my 2408 back to Reaper. Kind of a hybrid system if you will. It's easier for me to plug in a couple tracks and get an idea down without booting my computer, starting Reaper, finding a template, arming tracks, making sure routing is correct...
Really, it's about finding the workflow that makes sense to You.
There's a lot of choices out there.
So, say I had some tracks recorded with the Digital recorder. Can that then be imported into, say, Reaper later on?

pbmw

Sure. I have a couple different ways to do that.
It has two drives that are removable. I have an adaptor that I plug the drive into, then into USB. Suck the files off the drive.
Or I can ADAT them to my Motu 2408 and firewire them into reaper. Works great.

335guy

So, say I had some tracks recorded with the Digital recorder. Can that then be imported into, say, Reaper later on?
Yes, most digital stand alone audio recorders can do this. They typically connect via USB ( depending on which digital recorder one is using ). Then the wav files are transferred to the computer, then loaded into a computer based DAW. I have two stand alone digital audio recorders. My small handheld Zoom H4n uses an SD card which can plug directly into my computer, where I can move .wav files into my DAW program. I also have an older Tascam 2488 that uses USB ports to move files. That model requires a bit of work and time to move files over to a computer.

BTW OP, there are some stand alone digital recorders that can operate as a stand alone digital recorder without the need of using a computer, AND also work as the audio interface for computer based DAWs. The Zoom R series can do this, and pretty well. The Zoom R24 also features 24 total trks, built in effects, works as a DAW controller and audio interface, records in WAV 48kHz/44.1kHz at 16-bit or 24-bit, is a pad sampler and has a built in drum machine, works as a physical mixer, etc. It's packs a lot into a rather small, portable recorder.

CaptainLou426

The Zoom R24 also features 24 total trks, built in effects, works as a DAW controller and audio interface, records in WAV 48kHz/44.1kHz at 16-bit or 24-bit, is a pad sampler and has a built in drum machine, works as a physical mixer, etc. It's packs a lot into a rather small, portable recorder.
That sounds pretty darn good then.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom