TOTAL recording noob, best PC software under $300 w/ drums?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by GuitarGuy510, Jul 30, 2006.

1. GuitarGuy510

GuitarGuy510 Member

Hey all,

I just wanted to buy something that I can use on my PC to do some recordings (nothing pro, just capture what my new amp stuff sounds like for some friends of mine). I am a TOTAL recording noob, so I don't want anything UBER complicated as I'm not experienced so I'd prefer not having to read a 300 page manual before I can get started! :jo Also I'd like something that has a built in drum machine/looper if possible. I'm looking to go:

Cab(s) Mic (2 - SM-57s probably as I'm running an "X" pattern with my speakers, Swamp Thang and Wizard) ---> USB Adapter or New Soundcard ---> PC (Software)

Any help guys? Basically I'm going for a non-expensive, easy to use software that I can record guitar and will be able to simulate drums (and bass too if possible). Also if there's a package for a USB device as well as recording software that is less than $500 let me know! :AOK Thanks guys, sorry if this has been asked before but the search function doesn't really work all that great sometimes! :puh

2. bscepter

bscepter Member

I've been using Apple's Logic Express with great success. Also, GarageBand is great for super-simple 8-track recording. Avoid Cubase though.

3. GuitarGuy510

GuitarGuy510 Member

Can you use those on PC's? I don't have a Mac and I'm not sure if that software is compatible with PCs as well as Macs?

4. DaveDaveDave

DaveDaveDave Member

awww.. Cubase isn't THAT hard to use.. I love it.

For simplicity though, nothing beats Mackie Traktion II... plus the plugins sound a lot better than the ones in Garage Band....

Just my $0.02

Dave

5. Bussman

Bussman Member

N-track (multitrack/MIDI) and Hydrogen (drum machine). I don't think it gets any cheaper than that. Great DAW software to start learning about recording.

6. gomez1856

gomez1856 Member

I always recommend that those new to setting up project studios and looking for budget gear check out Tweakz guide:

http://tweakheadz.com/guide.htm

Tons on info and answers to exactly your questions.

Rick

7. googoobaby

googoobaby Member

+1 for Mackie Tracktion. I really like the user interface on it.

8. Carlier

Carlier Member

I didn't know what I was doing when I started with Cubase, and now, three years later, I'm still excited about the program. I guess that's the great thing about it: it's pretty easy to get started, but there's always a challenge waiting for you. And ultimately, home recording is about learning a new skill and developing your understanding of sound.