Total Studio 3 Bundle (a question)

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by MorganB, Jan 20, 2015.

1. MorganB

MorganB Member

Hi,

I'm brand new to the whole idea of plugging a guitar into a computer instead of an actual amp. I just bought a PreSonus Audiobox USB today and tried out GarageBand on my Mac.... WOW!

Anyway, I'm interested in trying out Amplitube as well, but I'm a bit confused about how they package their software. Amplitube 3 alone costs $199. But Total Studio 3 Bundle, which appears to have a FULL version of Amplitube 3, among several other pieces of software, costs HALF as much as Amplitube alone.

Am I reading the product description properly? Can it really be true that they're selling Amplitube in a bundle for less than half the price of the standalone Amplitube? And if so, is it the same version of Amplitube 3?

Thanks for your help, and sorry if this question sounds stupid. Please understand that I suck at computers!

2. Lain

Lain Member

I don't know where you are looking or wanting to buy from but the tonal studio bundle costs about double the price of amplitube alone.
    The expensive amplitube version is with all the custom shops amps and effects, i guess.

If you look at the official website you can see what's included in the normal amplitube version: http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/amplitube/

Why amplitube though?

3. Hellbound

Hellbound Member

They are having a NAMM special on Total Studio 3. It's a good deal if you want some of the stuff in it.

Look up some older threads here though regarding software modellers. There are many alternatives to Amplitube

4. MorganB

MorganB Member

I had a chance to play around with GarageBand a little bit since posting. First let me say that a dedicated audio interface is DEFINITELY the way to go. I tried to save money by using a cheap usb dongle and latency was so bad that it was unusable. Then, I bought the iRig adapter, which caused terrible squealing and feedback when used with my Mac (but it worked fine on my ipod). The interface solved all of that. No latency at all, and I can control input volume, headphone volume, wet/dry mix, and L/R output volume. None of the mobile device style interfaces compare, and many of those are more expensive.

I'm pretty happy with GarageBand at $5, but I'm only just beginning to try this stuff out. I'm not really sure if the additional features of Amplitube 3 (plus whatever else comes with Total Studio 3) are really necessary..... but I'm probably gonna buy it anyway!

But before I do....

Which alternatives to Amplitube do you reccommend, and why?

5. Lain

Lain Member

Peavey Revalver 4
    Scuffham S-Gear
    Overloud TH2

Why recommend them? Because they offer a fair price and sound better than amplitube (in *my* opinion).

Luckily you can demo them all to form your own opinion.

6. MorganB

MorganB Member

OK I already hate IK Multimedia/Amplitube. I purchased the Total Studio 3 Bundle and Amplitube is NOT included... WTF? All I got was a bunch of crap used to make beats for rap music or something like that... I only purchased this bundle for one thing - Amplitube - and only because the cost was half of Amplitube alone. I ran the installer and had to install six separate pieces of software individually. NONE of them were Amplitube!

I wrote their customer service yesterday to make absolutely sure that the bundle includes a FULL version of Amplitube 3, and they assured me that it does. And now this.

FACK!!!!!!!!!1

7. Lain

Lain Member

I am pretty sure the problem is on your side, sorry.

Why do you buy a bundle full of stuff you don't need in the first place? And why don't you demo stuff for *FREE* and look at the market like two people here suggest to you?

And amplitube IS included. You just failed to install it.

And then you blame IK Multimedia for your own stupidity? I sincerely hope you are a troll. Sorry.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  8. jerryratpack

jerryratpack Gold Supporting Member

Can't help you ith total studio 3 ( could there be a code you need to unlock Amplitube ? )

Almost all of the major software suites have free demos you can install, or limited time trials.

in my opinion, AMPLITUBE has some nice fenders and marshals in their custom shop offerings. Slash Marshall Sounds great.

You can try them out Al la cart and decide if you like them or not before buying.

Try and download a few other software products as well, it can't hurt

9. JohnB

JohnB Member

amplitube is in total studio, not total workstation. total studio is a pretty good deal even if you arent using the sampletank stuff since you get a number of t-racks processors

10. MorganB

MorganB Member

Yep... problem was on my side. The installer for some reason did not include Amplitube, but I was able to log in and install it separately with no problem.

BTW, I bought the bundle because it included Amplitube 3 for HALF the price of Amplitube 3 alone, as I mentioned before. That's why.

11. Lain

Lain Member

Whatever.... :knitting

12. clintmartin

clintmartin Member

Total Studio is a great deal. There's nothing wrong with Amplitube, and you should also have T-Racks Deluxe.

13. MorganB

MorganB Member

Thanks for your input.

14. ryentzer

ryentzer Member

I'm eyeing this deal also. To get Amplitube at half price and T-Racks? That's a good deal.

15. richpjr

richpjr Member

I own Scuffham, Amplitube 3, Amplitube Fender and Slash and Bias Desktop. Of those, Scuffham gets used for the vast majority of the time. The Amplitube Slash and Fender paccks are quite good, but not included in the package. I'm still trying to come to grips with Bias. I really like the Mesa amp in it and it seems to work better for me for higher gain sounds.

Amplitube is actually a solid product and for that price, it's a great bargain.

There is also the decision to use these as plugins in a DAW or standalone for those that offer it. When I just want to practice a bit I fire up S-Gear standalone and just play without waiting for a long list of plugins to load in my DAW.

The advice to try them out is a good idea as people's gear and tastes vary wildly and only you can decide what sounds good to you.

16. clintmartin

clintmartin Member

S-Gear and Amplitube are the two I picked to keep.

17. Lain

Lain Member

No problem.

18. ryentzer

ryentzer Member

These are the two I'm leaning towards also. I also liked Guitar Rig 5 but it appears to be retired at this point.

19. Patient of Dr. Z

Patient of Dr. Z Member

Agree about the Slash Marshall! There are actually 2, one that has a gold faceplate and another with a silver one. I prefer the silver one. I think it's called the AFD. I'd been happily using Amplitube for about a year before I discovered the AFD and now it's my go-to amp when I plug into the computer.