Totally unforeseen NAD

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by lang.murphy, Feb 25, 2012.

1. lang.murphy

lang.murphy Member

So... I picked up my third Marshall Class 5 today. Why? Because while sitting in the waiting room at the Dentist's office, I was browsing CL, as I will do from time to time. (More like from hour to hour... har)

And I saw this ad... I read it and moved on, then thought, wait a minute! And went back. Now this ain't another "I found a 40 year old amp, new in the box, for $100" thread...

But I did get a 2011 Gibson LP Tribute 60's in worn cherryburst and the latest rev version of the Class 5 combo for a total of $700. Both with low hours. And a $30 Gibson gigbag and a set of brand new JJ's for the C5.

Haven't had enough time with the LP to comment, not that this is the right forum for that anyway... But this latest C5 pretty much cements, in my mind, anyhow, that this little five watt bruiser is not a bedroom amp. Even in low power mode, I cannot get it past the second tick on the volume pot without worrying about waking my son on the other side of the wall or my wife who's on the other side of a curtain and door about 20 feet away with a fan going in the room.

The C5's are fun amps, to be sure... will prolly sell this one, though... and end up with a really cheap guitar. lol

[​IMG]

2. mdclark58

mdclark58 Member

Somewhere between salvation and redemption.
  3. mike361

mike361 Member

The tributes are great guitars. I have a goldtop and it has been my go to lately. It was poorly setup new but after some work it is much better. The p90's are ballsy and cut through much better than the burstbuckers in the other lp I have. It did take me a while to get used to the p90's and you do adjust your amp differently. I cut the treble back some for the bridge, but I have noticed the neck pup has a great thick bluesey tone. Great deal you got, after selling the class5 you got a great guitar for about $400.

4. ian c

ian c Supporting Member

that is an awesome deal .

i found a c5 on craigslist today too .
    thought long and hard , and but it on the "maybe tommorrow" list .
    went over to centaur and bought me a 59 duosonic off knuckles instead .

5. lang.murphy

lang.murphy Member

Thanks!

With little time on the LP, the only thing I've noticed thus far is the neck pup is way louder than the bridge pup. It's clearly closer to the strings... but I guess I shouldn't venture too far into the guitar specific rabbit hole in this forum...

Glad to hear you like the Tributes...

Well, it wasn't just the C5 that caught my attention... it was the C5 AND the guitar for, pretty much, what that guitar sells for on ebay. Both in great condition... kind of a no-brainer "how fast can I mash the send btn to send an email saying 'I'll buy it!'." Seller was a straight up dude, too... he got many inquiries but early on in our email thread he said, the git and amp are yours, just a matter of meeting up. And so... literally about ten hours after sending the first email, the git and amp were in my car, headed back to Lawrenceville. Yee-HAW!

6. ian c

ian c Supporting Member

my problem is i'm still using an old uk email address from when i was in england .
    i dont know wether craigslist block them , or i get caught in peoples spam filters , but nobody EVER replies to my craigslist emails !!!

i even put an ad on there this week for some guitars wanted ....
    the ad doesnt appear to be on there anywhere , and i get a message about multiple posts within a week if i try to repost it .

very , very frustrating :D

pm me if you decide to sell .
    i love p90s ....

7. ian c

ian c Supporting Member

and another thing ....

its not just craigslist that are plotting against me .

all i have in my new rental place is an ac30cc and a matchless hotbox .
    i have been trying to buy a guitar for the last couple of weeks , but in the meantime decided the vox looks out of place in the apartment , so have hid it in a closet so that it can be played by simply opening a door ...
    but there ios no power in the closet .

anyway , i did the deal today at centaur and got the guitar , strap , and two leads .
    then called at ikea for some stuff and got me an extention lead too .
    then went to get groceries and bought another , as i had an idea for thge matchless pedal to go under my new tv stand .
    so now i have everything i need . right ?

wrong !!! :mad
    i still cant play as the two $2 extentions i got dont have a ground prong !!
    complete disaster .

:)

8. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Score! Don't know much about the amp except for what I read. Sweet guitar! LP P-90 = Tone bliss for me!

9. lang.murphy

lang.murphy Member

Well... sure, I've had some weird experiences on CL. I'm sure we all have. I guess I lucked out today and was "first in line." I didn't ask any questions, just said "I'll buy!" So the moon and stars aligned for me on this deal. ;-)

Guess you need to change your CL email addy to a stateside one. Most all CL emails I've sent have received responses. I think maybe one or two no-responses-at-all in the couple of years since I became a card carrying member of the GAS Brigade.

And if I decide to sell the LP, you're first on the list...

That said, I may hold on to the C5... I miss having a Marshall branded amp in the house. I'll be able to crank it when the son's not sleeping or off at work and the wife goes out to run errands... hmm... they ARE great amps, imho.

10. lang.murphy

lang.murphy Member

I'll tell ya... the C5 is a great amp but it surely ain't a bedroom amp... not without an attenuator unless you're happy to roll totally clean tones at low volume. If one can crank it at any time of day or night, it's a great amp.

I'm surely liking what I'm hearing from the P90's on this LP. Shoot, I can't even claim "honeymoon" status yet... I'm still on "wedding day" mode with this puppy. Loving what I'm hearing so far...