1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Totem Guitars? (Spaltinstruments)

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by hey_day, Jan 5, 2006.

1. hey_day

hey_day Member

Anybody know about spalt totem guitars? they look amazing and so different. all their harmonycentral reviews are raving id love to talk to someone about one if they have owned or tried one. they look amazing and a fairly priced. if you have no idea what im talking about check out http://www.spaltbasses.com/ they make all sorts of crazy guitars. the Nouveau series is my favorite, i love the shape and the pickups.

2. Antero

Antero Member

Duuuuuude... coooooool.

3. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

4. KRosser

KRosser Member

I have one of his S&S line of guitars:

[​IMG][/IMG]

Koa top, chambered swamp ash body, solid rosewood neck, Lindy Fralin Humbuckers

5. Ron Thorn

Ron Thorn Gold Supporting Member

I too own one, similar to the above but with a quilted mahogany top over swamp ash and P-90s.
    Michael is a very talented builded, great visions, and the quality is top notch.

Ron

6. hey_day

hey_day Member

anyone have any of the resin top ones?

7. KRosser

KRosser Member

I don't own one of those (the resin top ones - mine's right above) - my friend Woody Aplanalp, currently playing w/Trilok Gurtu, does...I've played many of those over at Michael's shop as well as Woody's, they're all very cool and sound great.

8. Mike Dresch

Mike Dresch Silver Supporting Member

I think it says something about the guy's work if Ron owns one. At least to me it does.

9. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

You have a friend who plays with Trilok Gurtu?

That's awesome! :)

10. hey_day

hey_day Member

dont know trilok gurtu (sweet name though) what guitar does he play. im dying to see one of these guitars in person because i really want to sell my rick turner and buyone. i love them but gotta see it in person, sound wise everyone says they are amazing though

11. Srini

Srini Guest

Very sweet! How does the swamp ash/koa combo sound?

Srini

12. redgold

redgold Supporting Member

Here's my Spalt, Reverse T:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rosewood neck, redwood back, fralin alnico. Very sweet and smooth sounding. His fret work and set-up is top notch.

Photo credit to Mr. Spalt.

13. EunosFD

EunosFD Member

I've always been curious about these guitars, but rarely see anything about them. They definitely have their own unique look to them that's for sure.

Redgold, that P-90 powered guitar of yours is fascinating. I've been jonesing for a P-90 equipped guitar as of late & that would fit the bill 100%. :D How does that finish sound in the tone department? I always thought they might end up being a bit bright. What are the prices like on these pieces?

14. redgold

Well, I supplied the neck from USACG, and Michael cut the heastock, nut, and did the finish work, so I'm not sure what a price would be for a fiddle with his neck... but I remember his prices being very reasonable. Give him an email. He is very responsive and good to deal with.

Reverse T is on the brighter side, but the pickups I choose are not trad P-90's... they have more of a jazzmaster character. It has a strong fundamental with few overtones... sounds great with dirt or gain. If you're looking for a Jr sounding guitar, stick with an all wood mahogany guitar tho... I'm sure Michael could spec one out for you, traditional P-90 or not.

15. hey_day

hey_day Member

thats what im talking about, i love that guitar. how does the top look in person? i live in chicago and cant first hand them at all. they look amazing but want to see one in person. i love the resin tops. im a guitarist, my girlfriend is an artist, its a perfect match. is the body comfortable on it? what about the jack location?

16. KRosser

KRosser Member

I like it; the solid rosewood neck definitely adds to the overall character as well. How does it sound? It's hard to describe, other than: I like it. It's very warm sounding, and the Fralin 'buckers have a nice chimy top end to them that suits this guitar very well. Not crunchy/punchy like a Les or twangy as a Fender Tele - I really don't know much I could compare it to. "Warm and chimey" is the only thing that comes to mind...

The neck is a little fatter and rounder than I normally like, sorta like an SRV-type contour. It doesn't get as much play these days compared to some of my others for that reason. You know how it is, you experiment with different things over the years for different reasons. Anyway - a great guitar. One that I don't use a lot these days but I still hang onto it, at least for now. Maybe I'll get a different neck on it sometime in the future...

17. redgold

The top looks great... lots of contrast in color and texture from the different materials... a very interesting collage effect. I had never heard one, and the art aspect of it was a big part of the appeal. I ordered one of his premade bodies from his site, but I'm pretty sure that Spalt will work with your concept if you had something in mind and incorporate your found objects.

The body shape is very comfortable and well balanced. The back on mine has an unusual, flowing contour that is very organic. The jack can poke a bit when standing if you move a lot, but I don't so it doesn't bother me.

18. hey_day

hey_day Member

it looks great, give me a call if you choose to get rid of it ever. i have my eye on a few of the available bodies but dont have near the money i need for a new one.

19. hey_day

hey_day Member

any recomendations for specs on these guitars, spalt seems pretty open minded anyone have ideas that work great and those that dont go so hot.

20. Riscchip

Riscchip Member

I've always loved the look of them, never played one. The designer has a freakin' great eye, and he's not afraid to use it. As an artist myself, can't help but admire that.