Touch Responsive Amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bluesaxe, Feb 5, 2006.

1. bluesaxe

bluesaxe Member

What is the most touch responsive amp out there in the lower price boutique market? I've been looking at Bad Cat, Matchless, Top Hat, etc. I'd like to keep the price sub $2k.

Current Gear

65 Fender Showman that's been heavily modifed after I made it blow up in about 1982 (long story :jo ).
    BF 73 Super Reverb.
    1976 JMP 1987 Marshall w/ EL34's.

Thanks for your help!

bluesaxe

2. Turbozag

Turbozag Senior Member

Not sure how it compares, but check out the Dr Z Route 66.

3. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Do you want a low volume amp or a very loud touch responsive amp? Low watt tube amps can be very touch responsive. Tweed champs come to mind.

4. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

You could probably find a used Two Rock in your price range.

5. Roe

Roe Member

alessandro rottweiler - 1000$

6. mbratch

mbratch Member

I had an amp that it seemed would malfunction every time I touched it. Is that considered "touch responsive"? ;)

Seriously though... the Tweeds come to mind...

7. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

oh man, Bad Cat all the way!

look for a used Cub or Hot Cat.

8. bluesaxe

bluesaxe Member

Never tried a Two Rock - They are supposed to the Du$$le thing, right?

Which Two Rock would you recommend? I'm looking for 20-30 watts club amps. 15 would probably be OK, too, or 50w with useable master volume.

Thanks!

bluesaxe

9. bluesaxe

bluesaxe Member

I've been really looking hard at the Cub. I really don't do high gain stuff much. The level of gain on the HC clips on the Bad Cat website is way above what I normally use. I've heard the Cub has better clean and mild OD tones.

I like to be able to play clean at club volumes - is the 15w Cub able to do that, or should I be looking for 30w?

Thanks!

bluesaxe

10. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

If you're dead set against anything over 30W, you should probably disregard my Two Rock suggestion, even though they have very effective MVs.

11. bluesaxe

bluesaxe Member

I have a home built tweed champ clone with an Alnico Blue that I absolutely love! It's my practice amp for around the house. Unfortunately, it just doesn't have enough to get over all but the quietest of drummers.

Maybe a bigger tweed? I played through a 59 Bassman LTD and it was very nice, or a Victoria...

Thanks for the reply!

blueaxe

12. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

What does *Touch Responsive Amp* mean? Not being snarky, just curious.

13. bluesaxe

bluesaxe Member

I'm not dead set against bigger amps, as long as the master doesn't starve the tone. I've been using a Weber Mass lately. It does work pretty well, but still robs some dynamics in my opinion.

Which Two Rock do you recommend? I'm definitely more of a Strat guy. I've got 5 strats (one with humbuckers) and a Tele.

Thanks!

blueaxe

14. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

When the amp responds to your picking in terms of dynamics and when you can dig in hard and get different levels of overdrive. Right guys???

15. gomez1856

gomez1856 Member

I'd have to recommend the THD Amps. My Flexi is the most responsive amp I've played. You'd be doing yourself a disservice, IMO, if you don't at least take a look at them. at about $1500 (or less) new, they're great buys!

Rick

16. bscepter

bscepter Member

Though I hate to sound like a broken record, Rob Pierce's Valvetech Hayseed 30 is very touch sensitive. I can dig in and make it grind or lighten up and clean it up. And if I roll back the volume, I get chimey, spanky cleans. Both my SG and my Tele sound great through it -- though very different.

Oh, and his prices are crazy low.

17. LaXu

LaXu Member

The 15W Stephenson LJ-10 fits the bill perfectly and is only $1000. Most dynamic amp I've played. Plus it's ear-friendly thanks to Power Scaling. Tonewise it's sort a "Tweed 5E3 meets AC15" thing. For $2k you could get the new 30W head which I believe is similar.
    http://www.stephensonamps.com

18. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

The Fender Vibro-King Custom is supposed to be very good with touch-sensitivity... it's one of the reasons the guys who play them love them so much...

19. aeolian

aeolian Member

Wide range of suggestions. What kind of "voice" are you looking for. You mentioned having some clean headroom. Do you want distortion too? How much. Is this a guitar volume set up, or do you want a channel switcher? What kind of distortion voice? Tweed, Marshall, Dumble, modern high gain? Raw, smooth? So many choices. And what kind of response do you want? I played a buddy's Soldano once that had a lightswitch touch response, you could get two sounds out of it at will and it cleanly switched between the two as you played differently. But very little graduation between the two. In comparison, by Fuchs is almost completely linear in how it responds. But it is much more work to play though, as there is very little bandwidth in playing technique for a particular sound.

20. bluesaxe

bluesaxe Member

Whew - thanks for all your responses! I never knew there were THAT many choices.

I'm looking for a Rawer, Dumbleish Hi-Fi sound with as many layers of sensitivity as can be had. I typically gravitate more toward a fender sound, although I do have that pretty well covered at the moment. I play mostly strats, so it would have to be very strat friendly.

Since it's hard to find a lot of these brands to try out in Milwaukee, what would be a good amp for a starting point? I'm thinking... get amp X, if amp X is da bomb, then I'm done. Otherwise, if amp X is to ____ then get amp Y, else get amp Z.... (sounds like I'm writing code).

I'm really thinking a Matchless or Bad Cat right now for amp X.

Thanks again for all your responses!

bluesaxe