Tour De France 2019

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Killcrop, May 22, 2019.

1. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

It's a climbers course with no real TT. Some say advantage goes to the young French Riders. Last year's tour was a bit boring. Hopefully this year is better. Will miss Paul immensely. Is Phil and Bobke doing the tour?

dansworld, cam, Hush and 3 others like this.
  2. fjblair

fjblair Silver Supporting Member

My kind of Tour. Last year was a dud for me. Will miss Paul.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  3. CRAIG4FSU

CRAIG4FSU Whatever... Silver Supporting Member

Tour De Pharmacy
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  4. aiq

aiq Supporting Member

I have it on each morn. Will be strange to have Paul gone.

5. Alchemist XP

Alchemist XP Silver Supporting Member

First off, I'm a long term watcher / follower of the Tour de France and love the race and cycling in general. I think the race would be significantly more fun and exciting if they made some real changes at this point.

I think the mileage should be dropped significantly ... down to 40-60 miles a day for most days ... maybe 3-5 long days, but dropping the mileage would turn it into much more of a RACE from start to finish ... I'd like to see more GC points given at the 50% point of the race ... nearly 2 races in each race. The idea of the frontrunners hiding in the middle of the pack for 90% of the race, at least to me, has gotten boring. I want to see every single rider going all out every stage ... I'd like to see the break aways have a much better shot of winning and if they drop the mileage, that could happen. I'm not really sure what 100-120 miles a day accomplishes other than just making the overall endurance challenge more awe inspiring because it certainly does not make the race more exciting.

The idea that the "winners" can essentially coast for well over half the stages, at least to me, makes the entire race less exciting.

Wrmbrnr, Beto, Fishyfishfish and 2 others like this.
  6. Mark White

Mark White Member

For anyone who was about to do the same search as I did:

Dates: Sat, Jul 6, 2019 – Sun, Jul 28, 2019

Wrmbrnr and Killcrop like this.
  7. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

This really will be tough without Paul, interested to see how the broadcast holds up. I'm really out of touch since last year, is Sky still the powerhouse?

Killcrop likes this.
  8. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

Pulling for Sagan to win the green jersey for the record, looking forward to the new sprinters (where has Gaviria been?).

Not a fan of the idea of shorter stages....it's the Tour...

Will miss Paul but I did enjoy hearing Bobke and Phil on the Tour of California.

Release, moore-fiend and Killcrop like this.
  9. Sigmund Floyd

Sigmund Floyd Supporting Member

What's the deal with the doping? I stopped watching after so many winners were caught cheating. It seems an endless joke.... is it better or something? People don't care?

10. Killcrop

While you could never replace Paul, Bobke is entertaining. He was awesome on LA podcast recently. I like Christian too. I really hope it's not the two Australian guys. I had the NBC Sports app a couple years ago and it was only them and it was unlistenable.

Sagan is great for the sport. Such an incredible athlete. I don't think a shorter stage would be better because part of the challenge is lasting for 21 stages. That is probably the hardest thing in sports. You have to be fit, tough as nails and lucky.

rhinocaster likes this.
  11. Killcrop

I don't want this thread to be about doping. There has always been doping in cycling and probably always will be. They test for it more than any sport. Don't kid yourself, doping is in every sport. If cyclists do it, and most of them make less than 80K per year, than what do you think NFL, NBA and MLB guys are doing? The stakes are so much higher for them.

db2112, aiq, dsmc80 and 5 others like this.
  12. rhinocaster

Cycling is at the forefront of testing for doping so they tend to catch dopers....they have a black eye over doping BECAUSE they test for it.

I can tell the non cycling fans because it's the only thing they want to talk about.

This thread is about the TdF....you either have interest or you don't.

CDP, dsmc80, cam and 3 others like this.
  13. rhinocaster

I think we've seen the last of Cavendish. He wasn't even remotely a factor in the Tour of California. I wouldn't mid seeing him win a couple of more but I don't think it's in the cards.

New riders, new teams.....this is going to be a wide open Tour!

shane8 likes this.
  14. shane8

shane8 Member

I agree the long flat stages seem to be to get to the next start point.

disclaimer = it's a big thing to have le tour come thru your town ….. very good for business

the only interest apart from the amazing scenery is the sprint that you have to wait 5 hours for

shorter stages ftw

15. s2y

s2y Member

I'm also saddened with the loss of Paul.

It could be an interesting year. I'm horrible at predictions. As for shorter stages, nah.

dsmc80 and rhinocaster like this.
  16. jbviper4

jbviper4 Supporting Member

Who cares? I lost interest in bike races when I was a young lad. Amazing physical feat (even if doping) but as far as snoozefests go for me, only golf puts me to sleep faster.

17. tnvol

tnvol Ufologist Silver Supporting Member

It's just not worth it with Paul gone.

18. Mark Ray

Mark Ray The RockTrain Gold Supporting Member

greyhound, ddeand, shane8 and 2 others like this.
  19. Alchemist XP

Alchemist XP Silver Supporting Member

The biggest problem with the big tour races from my perspective is, only a small fraction of the race is actually "racing" ... the vast majority of each stage is simply riding in the pack.

Wrmbrnr and shane8 like this.
  20. JWDubois

JWDubois Member

I agree in principle, but if they cut the stages down to 50 miles, I don’t think there would be many successful breaks, the peloton would not want to let anyone get away. Fifty miles is a sprint race to those guys. I agree they’d be humping it more, but the GC guys would still be drafting in the pack.

The team tactics are interesting. The nature of the whole thing is how the teams shepherd the chosen man. Watching the pack chase the break and set up the sprints is interesting. Also riders can’t go to sleep in a 30 mph peloton. Lots of promising riders get taken out in crashes.