Tour De France 2019

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Killcrop, May 22, 2019.

1. ford

ford Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

He is, but wasn't showing much time made up on the first part of the descent.... he would have died again as soon as they were climbing.

I doubt it changes for him tomorrow... I know there is a long climb to finish tomorrow. Lots of uphill. I'm excited. Hopefully no problems with weather.

It will be exciting if he does charge back or falls back... I have no rooting interest for anyone, but love mountain stages and like when people challenge and push the pace up them.

dsmc80 likes this.
  2. dsmc80

dsmc80 Member

We will never know, but I suspect this saved him time. Yes he would have made ground on the downhill, but he would have hemorrhaged time today IMO.

Sencha likes this.
  3. Terry Hayes

Terry Hayes Member

Is this the footage you saw?

4. skhan007

skhan007 Supporting Member

Yeah, that’s it.

Terry Hayes likes this.
  5. s2y

s2y Member

They definitely made the right call. I'd think perhaps the lead riders could vote on the outcome since they were all pacing themselves for another 30 miles.

I once had a race cancelled because it was raining and snowing on us and someone got hypothermia. I also did a crit that didn't get canceled where it was hailing, standing water, and lots of lightning. I got seriously pelted and all of the serious photographers took shelter while we were racing.

This is one of the stranger TdFs in a long time.

rhinocaster likes this.
  6. windmill

windmill Member

They have shortened the next stage to 59 km, with one big climb.

7. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

They made the right call...I hope no time bonuses are given as that would make the result of today even more unfair. My heart really goes out to Alaphilippe. His yellow was handed to Bernal but I don't know that there was any way to make this fair....mother nature won.

If the stage tomorrow is only 59 km then they've decided that Bernal is the winner.

8. bagpipe

bagpipe Member

Has there been any info released on the total non-appearence of Kwiatkowski amd Moscon from Ineos in this tour? I havent seen either of them in this years tour. I'm guessing thats why Sky/Ineos didnt have their usual tour domination with practically the whole team riding at the head of the peloton.

9. rhinocaster

Ineos doesn't have a leader....G isn't a leader that a team will rally around.

Can't wait to see if G attack Bernal tomorrow.

10. rhinocaster

It's unfortunate that Bernal will win this way....it's been a cool tour with a lousy finish unless something unimaginable happens tomorrow.

11. ford

ford Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Alaphilippe was a great competitor. He wasn't going to be in first today even if they finished yesterdays leg.

He fell off again today.

The race was anticlimactic today. I think everyone knew they weren't going to be able to leave Bernal in this uphill, but short race.

Bernal is your winner barring some calamity tomorrow.

dsmc80 likes this.
  12. rhythmark

rhythmark Member

Im more into MTB ing
    Wish the aired mtb races!
    Down hill and cross country.

13. bagpipe

bagpipe Member

Im glad he won it fair and square over Thomas - he was the strongest rider. I'd hate to see a repeat of a couple of years ago where Foome had to wait for Wiggins to "allow him" to keep the yellow jersey.

Bernal is only 22 years old. Looks like he'll be winning many more grand tours.

dsmc80 likes this.
  14. rhinocaster

I was wrong in feeling that Bernal was handed the jersey. That guy is such a worthy and deserving winner. I saw him winning in a few years but he’s here now and is the man to beat. What a great cyclist and a very cool tour!