Tour De France 2019

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Killcrop, May 22, 2019.

1. Fatboy666

Fatboy666 Supporting Member

I've been a long time bike rider, I wouldn't call myself a cyclist. I don't train, I just like to ride.

I was drawn into the TDF by the famous LeMond/Fignon 8 second finale. Got my first road bike shortly thereafter. At the time I was a BMXer and MTB rider. In the years after I loosely followed the race every year, I knew who some of the big names were. Being in the business, I actually got to meet a few.

I dropped off after the Lance debacle. Nothing to do with doping, like a Hollywood casting couch or rich people getting their kids into good colleges, that wasn't shocking news. But even when he was nobody racer, Lance was a douche. I could almost even get past the arrogance, I guess you need some of that to be a champion. But the shameless ruining of people's careers, sometimes just for kicks is where I drew the line. But we're not here for that.

I'd like to get back into watching it again. I truly respect the sheer effort of the race. And the rich heritage. And bicycles :)

So who are the riders I should be watching for?

2. Neverwhere

Neverwhere Member

Last years TdF was ok...I wouldn't say it was particularly bad. GTs in general have become really boring in the past year or two. Giro is a complete snoozefest this year. Vuelta had been shaping up to be pretty interesting in the past 5 years but it too has become boring. TdF is the only GT I'm really interested in anymore. People blame Sky for GT boringness but Froome seems to be the key to making them interesting or not, and Sky isn't really a factor in the other GTs as much as TdF yet they have become boring. Overall pace of the stages is so high these days no one has energy to spare on climbs for attacks. UCI needs to seriously start experimenting with banning of race radio, or having neutral radio.
    I hope Dumoulin is going to go it now that he had an early DNF in this Giro, but the only thing that seems to be a threat to Ineos is that Froome is getting old. Can't really see any other contenders against G and Froome. Bardet always dies in TTs, Nibali is done, Porte will crash within the first couple days like always, maybe Dan Martin has some 2017 form but I'm not holding breath (even though he is my favorite rider)

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  3. skhan007

skhan007 Supporting Member

Definitely won't be the same without Paul.

Regarding TDF, it's an odd year with the new teams, Cav not in good form, Marcel Kittel dropping out of the sport entirely, but I hope to see Tejay bounce back to his former ranks as a GC contender. Also hoping Richie Porte does not crash out again.

4. Alchemist XP

Alchemist XP Silver Supporting Member

There would be a lot more successful breaks if the race was 40-50 miles only. The entire strategy would change. Everything would be faster and more exciting.

I like the tour the way it is, but 75% of it is boring as hell.

Wrmbrnr and shane8 like this.
  5. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

This is why Paul was so valuable to the broadcast. He knew everything about the race and the surrounding geography/history. It was so darn entertaining my wife, who doesn't care about cycling, would occasionally watch. Paul Sherwin also spoke multiple languages including several African Languages. He lived most of his life in Africa (Uganda). Mad respect for the man.

Release, rhinocaster and cam like this.
  6. dsmc80

dsmc80 Member

I think this parcours suits Bernal better than Froome and GT. They will unleash Bernal at la Vuelta though. I still dont see Bardet and definitely not Barguil being strong enough to unseat anyone on Ineos. EF is interesting. Van Garderen as a super domestique with Dani Martinez also working for Rigo could be fire. Hoping Dumoulin joins the fun too with his Giro departure. Fuglsang has been a machine this year. Enric Mas could win with this oarcours, but his team will being a sprinter and train which will hurt him. Curious to see if Roglic tries to double up. Yates it's probably too punchy and lacks power on the long climbs.

So many good plots. PS. The Giro gets NASTY tomorrow and Saturday. I cant wait.

7. dsmc80

dsmc80 Member

I think Cav is done. Porte is unknown. He hasn't shown much this year.

Nairo could also do well especially given the high mountains.

8. Alchemist XP

Alchemist XP Silver Supporting Member

Would be fantastic to see a Colombian take the Yellow Jersey!

dsmc80 likes this.
  9. Killcrop

What about Julian Alaphillipe?

10. Killcrop

Poor Tejay. He is either very unlucky or perhaps just not that good of a bike rider. He had some mishap in the Tour of Cali. At one point on a team mates bike, rode right off the course and missed a turn. He was in yellow until the last day.

Alchemist XP likes this.
  11. dsmc80

dsmc80 Member

Julian is not ready to be a Tour winner...yet. Not sure if he ever will. He is punchy as all get out, but seems to lack staying power on long sustained climbs. At this point I think he is still best suited to stage hunting. In a one day race he is aces.

Alchemist XP likes this.
  12. dsmc80

dsmc80 Member

That stage where he crashed, went the wrong way and almost crashed again, then was given the same time due to the 3km rule (which he wasn't even in the group) was crazy. Then on Mt. Baldy he wasn't feeling well and a his new teammate of a week, Higuita, was stronger than he was. Higuita is awesome. He can climb his ass off and can sprint. At 125 lbs. Really interesting talent. He is a better descender than the other Colombians as well.

In a Grand Tour TJ always seems to blow up after the rest day. He is a crazy good rider, but he won't win a Grand Tour.

Alchemist XP likes this.
  13. dsmc80

dsmc80 Member

It would, but I think Bernal wins before Nairo. Nairo has been a model of consistency, but he consistently can't pull off a good TT. Bernal is an excellent TT rider.

Really curious to see what Ineos does with Bernal. He crashed and broke his collar bone 10 days before he was to be the GC leader at the Giro and I think he is the only rider who could have hung with Roglic. His form is killer right now and he has been busy back on the bike racking up KOMs in Andorra. I just see too much of a conflict on interest if Ineos were to bring Bernal, Froome and Geraint to le Tour. Then again, it would be tough halt his form and wait until the Vuelta to race him hard again. Very interesting story lines.

Someone earlier said the Giro was boring. It was just a traditional Grand Tour setup with long transitional stages early on for the sprinters. The talent there in the GC pool and the mountains coming up are ridiculous. I think it might end up being better than TdF, but time will tell. I'm exciting for them all.

Then there is the Vuelta; the Nascar race of European cycling where everyone who didn't get a chance or crashed out in the other Grand Tours is looking for redemption and/or next years contract.

Aaaaahhhh I love this.

Alchemist XP likes this.
  14. Hush

Hush Member

Love watching the TDF. Won't be the same without Paul. Haven't been following the season close enough to know who is looking good. I'd like to see Sagan get the record, but it may be tough as he's getting older and there are some new fast guys. He hasn't been the same since his crash last year.

15. skhan007

skhan007 Supporting Member

Wish I could watch the Giro! The only way I've found is to subscribe to some obscure channel broadcast only in Italian (on Verizon Fios TV).

Yeah, I was shocked that Tejay took yellow in the Amgen Tour, only to lose it so close to the last day. Is there a TDF route published on-line yet? Gonna check now, as I'm curious about how many stages are actually less than 100 miles.

16. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

I keep waiting for Nairo to grow into a great TdF rider but he doesn’t climb as well in the big race as he does in other grand tours.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    Alchemist XP and dsmc80 like this.
  17. dsmc80

dsmc80 Member

There is doping in all sports. Cycling has its dark history, but these days it has probably the most robust anti doping controls and has begun banning things that WADA still allows (like Tramadol). Football, baseball, rugby, track and field are all jokes compared to cycling controls. The biological passport is just another further step implemented by cycling.

Anyway, enough about doping. It exists and I don't condone it, but I love sport of all kind and I can only care about what I can control.

rhinocaster likes this.
  18. dsmc80

dsmc80 Member

Flobikes has live and replay of the whole Giro. Like $20 a month.

skhan007 likes this.
  19. DirtLover

DirtLover Member

Always pulling for this guy on the sprint stages:
    [​IMG]
    He's a beast!

Another vote for Tejay getting it together and going the distance. Seems I remember last year he was doing pretty good and then just faded. TDF is the only bike race I pay attention too and part of that is the coverage and scenery - Paul will be missed but open to a new era of TDF coverage.

20. dsmc80

dsmc80 Member

I'd love to see the Gorilla take a stage this year.

DirtLover likes this.