Tour De France 2019

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Killcrop, May 22, 2019.

1. DamianP

DamianP Member

My predictions:
    Yellow: Thomas or Fuglsang
    Green: Van Aert
    Polka: Alaphilippe
    White: Van Aert or Bernal

2. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

Green - Sagan! :)

shane8 likes this.
  3. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Supporting Member

I can't conceive how those guys do it.

I mountain bike, recreationally. I have had a long lay off and yesterday was my first "hard ride" of summer. I wanted to quit after 5 minutes on the first hill.

The mental toughness the Tour de France riders have is simply beyond me.

rhinocaster likes this.
  4. wetdripverb

wetdripverb Member

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

I love sagan.. this video sums him up.. ;D

5. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

So far the race has been pretty good. Jumbo having an unbelievable start to the tour. Then Julian with an epic day today.

It is a shame that Cavendish isn't at the tour this year. Yeah, he isn't what he once was but why deny the best sprinter ever the chance at the record? I mean it's not like you are Team Sky and have a shot at the win. You are Dimension Data.

Most commentators say he should have been there. However Lance said he can't finish a race and shouldn't be at the Tour. He has a point as this years course is a climbers course and is going to be hard for the sprinters.

Aging pro athletes have it hard. All they have ever known is their sport, then their body can't do it at the same level any more.

6. Fulldrive-1

Fulldrive-1 Member

There was never a Tour like the '89 Tour.

dsmc80 and AaeCee like this.
  7. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Was that the year that LeMond took the lead with his epic final TT performance?

I'll never forget the sight of Fignon collapsing at the end of his otherwise mammoth effort.

8. Fulldrive-1

Fulldrive-1 Member

Oh yeah.

What was the '89 Tour? 2400 miles of brutal competition. LeMond and Fignon. The fierce American vs the coldly calculating Parisian. The Maillot Jaune changed hands what? five? six times? Neither ever got more than 50 seconds over the other.

And the final stage, an individual time trial. Here the race would be decided. 17 miles through the streets of Paris to the Champs Elysee, slight downhill. Fignon up by 50 seconds. They said it couldn't be done. Lemond, eschewing help from his team, head down, far back on the saddle, rode that stage at an average of 34 mph, no stage ever faster. Fignon starting two minutes later, riding desperately to stay afloat. Lemond almost lapping Delgado, who had started two minutes ahead of him.

And when it was over, Lemond finishing 8 seconds ahead, celebrating the impossible. Fignon, deflated, brilliant in defeat.

There will never be another.

Hush, redragon, dsmc80 and 1 other person like this.
  9. skhan007

skhan007 Supporting Member

OK, so watching Stage 4 yesterday and saw Lance Armstrong commentating remotely??? I thought he was totally banned from all things pro cycling. Are they fading him back in as a commentator of sorts? I know he does his podcast and everything, but pretty certain the majority of the cycling world wants nothing to do with him. Completely floored to see this.

Uncle Bob likes this.
  10. bagpipe

bagpipe Member

Pretty exciting finish to stage 5 today. Those last couple of climbs towards the end shook out the various big sprinters who cannot climb. I dont want to mention the winner in case you guys are going to watch it tonight on a recording.

Tomorrow marks the first day into the mountains with 3 category 1 climbs then a mountain top finish on another category 1. It'll be interesting to see Ineos/Sky put their time honoured strangle hold on the race. :D

11. skhan007

Is nobody else watching Le Tour?? I thought there would be more input from the TGP fans.

12. bagpipe

bagpipe Member

Looks like just you and I! :(

Good stage today. That final little climb before the finish, on the gravel - some spots at 24%!! Oooof! When you see the best riders in the world struggle to maintain pace like that, you know its a serious incline.

13. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

I so miss Paul! Roll is good and will do well but Phil & Paul was such a wonderful tradition.

rhinocaster likes this.
  14. skhan007

Indeed, great stage and the mountains are where we see some of the most courageous spirit! Sorry to see Barguil struggle so much. Same for Pinot. Alaphillipe finished strong, but sadly not strong enough! The GC completely changes now!

I was so sad, as well! Paul and Phil were the the “voices” of TDF as long as I can remember.

15. vanderkalin

vanderkalin Member

There is nobody alive more qualified to commentate on cycling.

rhinocaster likes this.
  16. s2y

s2y Member

The tribute to Paul was heartfelt. Had trouble keeping a dry eye.

No doubt the '89 Tour was probably the best of all time. The 2010 Vuelta and 2003 Tour came close.

I'm not a fan of Lance as a commentator. Just not great as a speaker at the moment. Too many long pauses. VdV was very awkward when he started out.

rhinocaster likes this.
  17. dsmc80

dsmc80 Member

His ban doesn't extend to that. Its a competition ban and even portions of that were lifted in 2016. I'm glad to have his insights. I think its funny that no one was up in arms about van de Velde's presence. He is an admitted doper. The truth is everyone who raced in that era doped. I don't condone it, but it happened and we move on. Lance was also a complete asshole with how he went about things back then.

Lance's daily show recapping the race with Hincapie is great. Bruyneel now has a great podcast analyzing stages. I don't have to like what they did to acknowledge that their insights are valuable.

In a different topic, how about Le Planche des Belles Filles? 14 riders with a VAM over 1800 for 20 minutes.....interesting and eye raising. Bardet's tour is over and Thomas showed what form he is on a climb that is not suited to him at all. Pinot is also looking great and I'm happy to see George Bennett seems to overcome some physical ailments that had been holding him back.

[​IMG]

rhinocaster and skhan007 like this.
  18. crumjack

crumjack Member

Hello! I don’t venture into the pub often but love the Tour!

I watch the ad free feed from NBCSN. Matthew Keenan (spelling?) and Robbie McEwan are excellent.

dsmc80 likes this.
  19. skhan007

Just got my live updates at work, via the Telegraph UK site. Today's stage was awesome! No spoilers, but poor Tejay!!!

dsmc80 likes this.
  20. musicman10_1

musicman10_1 Supporting Member

My wife and I are up early every day to watch the end of each stage. Love the landscape shots and we love learning about the strategy of bike racing. It is complex, to say the least.

shane8 likes this.